Drag and Drop Samples with RYTM via Overbridge

yea I suppose Rytm needs an OS update to be used with it. Looks like a sysex-based proprietary protocol instead of sample dump standard. Possibly quicker?

if you click on the small triangle at the bottom it says a bit about itself.

presumably, you can dump sample packs with folder structure intact, which is nice. Thus, I figure it’s just barebones transfer to +drive, not project pool, not kits.

1 Like

Damn, yeah give me a Grid to drop Wavs on as part of the VST or as part of the Executable for Overbridge or anything. Drag and drop onto pads.

SDS Drop for PC is possible right?

yeh, possible… would be a full rewrite though, and don’t think it would be worth doing it, from a indie dev perspective. Diminishing returns… For SDS Drop I could reuse a lot of my existing code, just needed a UI and that happened on one weekend, with a pretty quick release… then, over the last year it gained extra things.

3 Likes

…still waiting for this to happen…kinda lost ‘interest’ in using samples on the AR. of course, short ones are ‘almost’ no problem but mh…(and i’ve probably repeated myself for the Nth time since it came out, like… three years ago? :expressionless: )

1 Like

…i thought it was mentioned at some point, that it would have been part of OB? guess i was/am wrong…

that may have been an intention or how it came across, but it’s been recently clarified that the sample upload side will be through a separate program and I’m sure there are many many advantages to facilitating it this way, this may well have been the original intention

no doubt it needs an OS update to the AR which may have to wait for the DT to get sorted out, or at least out the door with OB working for it before future enhancements are worked in

who knows … but hopeful for a summer release

2 Likes

Yeah at the moment we are less sure than ever, without official word on this one way or the other? or one of the fine 3rd party devs above pulling something off.

I dont think I am alone in thinking this quick ability to drop samples into the hardware direct to pads would revolutionise the rytms sample usefulness.

Matt

…it won’t probably do that, but sure is, i would (as i think others as well) use the sample playback feature a bit more instead of going like: ‘aaach, it’s going to take me some time before the sample is loaded…i’ll use the OT if i really need that sample there or just dump the sample thing all together, or maybe try to get as close as possible to the sound i’m after using the analog voices’
i’m not saying that the feature is unusable or not worth having it there, it just doesn’t make it fun to use it, as by the time you’ve loaded up the sample in the machine…you might have forgotten what you were after… (exaggerating a bit but did/could happen…)

Just go to https://www.elektron.se/overbridge/ and scroll down to the section “Overbridge and Elektron instruments” and select the tab “Analog Rytm”.
Here you will see that they listed “Manage and transfer samples with ease” as one of the benefits.
I wonder, when they are implementing this, if it is already stated there.

https://www.elektron.se/overbridge/

Ah so transfer of samples was stated as a feature of overbridge specifically - that interesting, weird it makes me think why develop this completely seperate app thats a replacement for C6 if it was going to in Overbridge.

Cannot help but think that we would probably have most of this had OSX not messed up USB. A lot of manufacturers struggled with driver support for interfaces etc when El Cap came iirc. I have a couple of devices here that had support dropped completely because of it (hi Presonus).

Here the answer from today to my ticket request concerning data transfer to rytm via overbridge:

Hi Max, Ouch, that looks like a mistake on the Overbridge page. Sorry, I’m not involved in that layout but I will point this out to our web designers. Perhaps they jumped the gun a bit early - sorry for the misinformation.
No set release date at this point, but it should be available soon for Rytm. Not integrated in the Overbridge VST however, but part of the software suite (Elektron Transfer)
You can transfer directly to the folder structure of the Rytm, just drag and drop. It won’t load to the pads automatically though.

1 Like

and there the dream ends.

I’m getting my Rytm some time next week but correct me if I’m misunderstanding how this all works…It looks like we’ll eventually have a program similar to the Digitakt Transfer program that allows direct transfer of samples and folder structures to the Rytm (cool). The Overbridge manual then shows that you can drag and drop samples stored on the +Drive to the pads within its plugin window inside of your DAW. So it sounds like I can do a lot of sample management on my computer and avoid the menus on the Rytm itself to create kits with samples. Is the downside mainly that this is split into two programs?

It’ll be the very same application

One deals with sample upload/management on +Drive etc (both DT/AR)
The other deals with sound design (i.e. the AR VST/AU) and setting a few things up

Best to get familiar with the AR menus in any case, it’ll be so much easier … then compliment that with the luxury of a full screen editor with most parameters visible simultaneously

Yeah, it would be nice to drop WAVs directly onto pads from the PC, this is completely possible as someone implemented it on Mac with SDS Drop. Why no direct pad drop for PC I am not sure.

Sure we can Transfer folders now and then pad them in overbridge, but it also means you can only drop stuff on pads that you previously already transfered so it all requires knowing what samples you are gonna use ahead of time still.

All that is new in this new program compared to C6 Functionality is that it will keep folder structure when transfering (at least with the first version)

It would be nice to be sampling, exploring sounds on the PC and dropping sounds onto pads as you find them.