Double pressing problem?

My newly acquired used Digitone is having severe double pressing issue.

For example, a trig contains C E G B notes and a bunch para locks. When I keep pressing it and YES to audition, or simply trying to tweak something, a big chance is it is back to nothing, with no para locks and a single note C in it.

Apparently it is being pressed twice in a flash and that equals delete and add a trig…

This is driving me nuts… Is it something that can be easily fixed?

Apparently I maybe have something like this on my unit as well. The Yes button also. So far, it hasn’t caused me major grief, but I have heard that units can be sent to Elektron for resoldering / repair for this issue. Might be worth getting in touch with them directly.

Thanks. I do hope this is something I myself can take care of since I live in Beijing and it is big…

1 Like

Most likely - be sure that the button cap doesn’t catch on way down/up and that (if cap removed) there’s no dust - check in with Elektron for a recommended contact cleaner (and procedure) that you can deploy without taking the lid off

If you use MIDI mode with this trig and another, you could capture the midi data sent perhaps to see if it registers double there (timing resolution may not reflect realworld timing) but it could be useful diagnostics

Hopefully so, perhaps Elektron can direct on how to manage the soldering.

I have to admit I am experiencing this a bit tonight which is very annoying. Holding the key to do tweaks, and then bam, nothing, just a one note trig

:neutral_face:

Same here. I am at about 30% chance triggering failure of this kind! I will be back to my place next week and first thing is to open up all the buttons to clean up and vacuum a bit and see if it helps.

I tried out a DK in a store which had severe problems and turned me of a bit. It also had a really old firmware installed.

I ended up buying a DN from a newer batch and there were absolutely no problems with that issue. Which of course made me very happy. :grinning:

I have this same issue, anyone else fix it?

My Digitone Keys (slightly over a year old) has started to have the double press issue. Seems to only affect the ‘YES’ button. Has already caused some issues with saving and selection. Don’t think shipping to Elektron is an attractive option here because of the size and weight. DIY fix solutions would be nice.

Boot the device into test mode by holding Func and powering on, select trig one to go into test mode.

Take a guitar pick, a butter knife if it’s thin, or a bit of dental floss if your dexterous and pop the key cap off by leveraging the bottom of the button. Don’t do it from the side, due to the way the keycap clicks into place. Press your lips to the key, blow into the key, depress it multiple times, then blow into it again. Take a small cotton bud and run around the edge of the button to pick up any crud. A quick hoover of the exposed button may help, but with a disclaimer that there may be a risk of static discharge, however small.

Repeat until the key no longer jitters when depressed. Only reason I said test mode is it’s generally easier to see if it’s still jittering. This might take a few attempts. I’ve done this to my yes, midi and 5 key and am no longer having any issues with it, they were awful before. This might not always work as the key may have a worse underlying issue like a bad solder joint or the key being loose on the PCB, but definitely worth trying. On a side note, I’ve had to do this a few times over the course of a week to properly dislodge whatever was stopping the circuit from closing properly, trig 5 still plays up but is getting better each time. Yes works perfectly now.

On a side note, you can click the DATA/LVL knob in menus to avoid pressing [Yes], if this fix doesn’t work for you. This tends to be more reliable than a jittery [Yes] button. Doesn’t help for previewing triggers though!

I sent mine to a local repair guy, who on Elektrons recommendation, resoldered all the buttons. However when I got it back I found the trigs had been fixed but I still had the issue on Track buttons, Yes, No etc. I eventually sold it which was pretty disappointing

I have not had this issue on the Digitone. I am wondering, however, if the problem could be exacerbated by setting the DN on a not-completely-rigid surface. For example, a trig could be effectively double-tapped by any up/down motion caused by pushing a different button, turning/clicking a rotary encoder, etc. I could imagine this happening while using the Digitone on my lap, or suspended in a stand that is not 100% rigid.

Not to say faulty or worn-out buttons aren’t a real issue, as well…

This happens on my Keys. It happens on enough buttons that, were I to send it in, I’d probably request a complete resolder as the number of buttons it happens on outweigh those that don’t.
I’ve become WAY better at playing things live into the sequencer as a result.
Silver linings, right?
I ought to reach out to Elektron and see what they recommend, but I’m leery of shipping that thing. It’s huge and heavy.