Done with GAS, but now overwhelmed with all the gear I acquired

If I was in your position I’d watch Ezbot’s video…

… on setting up the Digitakt, Digitone and Octatrack. These 3 are so capable together. The rest of the gear may fit in after that or not.

And when the above setup baffles you or annoys you by not doing what you thought you were doing, and it will, go play with the op1 or Live ii

Have fun :+1:

I’d buy a good mixer for that lot.

6 Likes

Digitakt + Digitone is what I’d focus on given that, maybe adding the Minilogue XD or a Boutique at the most.

Beyond that, I’d probably break all that out into a few different setups and focus on them together, then mix things up once there’s some proficiency.

This. OP-1 is a good candidate imho

What kind of techno are you making?

What you are experiencing is beginner’s GAS. Get rid of it! :wink: Of the GAS I mean.

You need to choose and pick your tools, slowly. One by one.

My suggestion is to put everything back in its box and start with the Octatrack and the Minilogue.

Then add the other stuff one by one. If you know what you want-need, you can give each device its own little task. But you need to figure out what you need first, and how these units operate.

That being said, I do miss an analog mono synth in your list :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Depending on the type of techno, these I think are crucial. A Monologue is a good option. If you bought these things used, you can swop out things without losing sny money.

2 Likes

I did something similar over the last ~5 years.
I tried to cover all possible bases at once and ended up here:

This all got on top of me in the way you describe, there was so much choice I didn’t know where to start. So I didn’t;t and it all sat unused, eating away at my brain and stressing me out over the cost of it all.

Then I committed to the NoGear New Year thread and now the desk looks like this:

Even this is too much, the Virus is so powerful that I probably need to swap it for something simpler! Even OT & Rytm alone would keep me busy for years. Can’t say my musical output has increased much due to other life stuff, but the stress and obsession has all but gone. I sold some stuff and boxed some up for when I want a change.

Anyway, I definitely recommend a minimal setup. I know more about each of these boxes than I did before.

35 Likes

What are you? The devil :rofl:

1 Like

As comprehensive as my gear list is, I am happy to say I own neither the Rytm nor the Virus :joy:

I could! This would free up OT inputs as well.
Those Rytm kicks and performance macros though…

2 Likes

Pretty minimal techno I’d say. Minimal in sound, minimal in my ability to use the gear, and minimal in terms of my output so far :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

I agree with the focus on certain gear approach… but, the most important factor to get you moving in the right direction is to START RECORDING the music you make.

Have some kind of recording device that you can switch on instantly and catch what you’re doing.

When you start living with the music you are playing/recording, you quickly know what sounds work and what music works, and have a better sense of how to get to your objective.

7 Likes

Yeah, the Virus can lead to a lot of noodling and not really deciding on anything. It’s very deep and it does require a bit of rotating through menus for some of it.

What about switching out (aka selling the Virus) to a nice Analog Poly with mostly 1:1 controls on the surface? Not sure what kind of sounds you’re using the Virus for. Besides a couple of Elektron instruments I’m mostly all about immediate high quality sounds, even if it’s a little limiting.

I guess this comes from someone who has software to cover most complex needs and feels like the hardware instruments should be more for performing the parts rather than deep dives.

1 Like

For that mid 2000 minimal dub techno type of style, you might want to look into a simple FM synth and a tape delay sim pedal. Not a fan of the Volca’s, but the Volca FM does those sounds well. The OP-1 I think van produce a wide range of FM sounds as well

1 Like

No swapping out stuff to get the things you need, will stop the “disease”

You are right though in that you can make techno tracks with a dustortion pedal, a sampler and a spoon.

Interestingly enough I had been thinking of (after NGNY finished) selling some more stuff and maybe getting a rev2. For now I’ve got a Tetra which will cover most of the sonic ground, but needs the editor to design sounds.

1 Like

I think it’s just about finding that synth inspires you over and over.

Best to be honest with yourself and not try to factor in “possibilities” when you decide. Based purely on real feelings towards the synth vs grandiose visions of what you see it being able to do.

The more I do this, the more I realize I’m only keeping things that are truly inspiring me. I can look around the room and adamantly say I have synths that are very special to me.

I’m beginning to learn what I actually want rather than what I think I want.

That said, I don’t think I can ever have too many drum machines :joy:

7 Likes

I’ll agree with the other folks who’ve suggested carving out a smaller, more focused setup from the lot of gear you have. You’ve got a lot of great options to choose from.

Some of the instruments you listed require more focus/attention than others, so be mindful of choosing items that complement each other mentally as well as sonically. Maybe limit yourself to 1 Elektron and 1 more hands-on tweakable synth, that’s always a good time.

You might enjoy this video series that Cuckoo made some years ago called “How to prepare for a live electro gig.” He basically walks through the process of putting together a small gig-friendly setup, going through all of his synths and drum machines to pick the right combo. Here’s a link to pt.2 where the good stuff begins, in this one he’s choosing which synth to focus on.

2 Likes

This. I need to be able to conceptualize one thing at once, and then add on.

I recently built a tower of MD, MnM, and AR, and then proceeded to get too intimidated to use any of them.

Breaking it down I immediately used them individually :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Lots of good advice here…
my two cents?
Focus on the DT/DN to start.
THen, THEN!, bring in that TR8-S…that is one hell of a great drum machine and its very playable. Learn how to sync em all up, and sample the shit out of that 8-S to get familiar with how to live sample things with the DT. Take said samples and fuck em up with DT, resample the fucked up stuff with the DT. Repeat process.
once youre cruising with that, and have assumed the lotus and read the manual and all that, OT as mixer/effects/ resampler because that lovely piece of machinery can do so much that the DT cannot…
even just using it as a mixer for the DT/DN combo, as has been said, check EZbots vids out on resampling mixing with it.
have fun!

2 Likes

I’m wondering if you have a mixing desk and what your routing and record setup is like.

I like to take the band approach - you could look at your stuff as a 12 piece band, and each instrument is simply doing one small part. It might just be one chord stab on one machine, while another machine does percussion, another just the kick, others melody lines, bass lines, etc etc. You might find at one point you don’t need all machines on a track, just 7 or 8 or so. But like a kitchen with good ingredients and spices, you’ve got a lot to work with here. I’d try that approach of just using each device in a small way that adds to a larger whole.

1 Like