Done with GAS, but now overwhelmed with all the gear I acquired

Since the pandemic started I began acquiring gear quicker than I could learn it. I was aware this could be a problem, but I had an opportunity to get most of the hardware I wanted fairly cheaply. Now I have pretty much everything anyone could ever reasonably need to make music with a hardware setup, but I’m just not sure where to begin.

I’m sure I’m not alone in this situation - so what strategies have you all employed to stop feeling overwhelmed and start learning your gear deeply? I have a feeling I should put everything away and choose one piece of gear to keep out on my desk and commit to learning it for a set amount of time, and then repeat with another hardware piece. Has anyone tried this approach? If so, how long did you spend focusing on learning a given piece of hardware before moving on to learn a different piece?

My current gear list, for your entertainment value:

OP-1
OP-Z
Digitakt
Digitone
Octatrack
MPC Live II
TR-8s
Microfreak
Korg Minilogue XD
JU-06A
SH-01
TB-03

I’ve watched youtube tutorials about every piece of gear in the list and learned a few things here and there. But out of everything, I probably know the Digitakt best thanks to Dave Mech’s course, although I haven’t gotten through all three parts of it yet. I also find I like the Elektron workflow and how their instruments feel to use, so I’m thinking I may commit to learning the Digitakt deeply for a while then moving on to learn my other Elektron gear and treat that as my “core” setup.

9 Likes

Just sell some stuff or keep one thing out at a time

6 Likes

It’s a good time to get into eurorack :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

55 Likes

Dude you definitely are missing a Syntakt. I wouldn’t even think about trying to make music until you have one.

Just my two cents.

38 Likes

Despite how my post might come across, I do want to actually make and release music :roll_eyes:

I started on Ableton before I had ever touched a piece of hardware, and it felt a little too abstract to me. I started picking up hardware to make it feel a little more fun, but I tried to only get stuff that would integrate easily into Ableton. Of course, the Octatrack violated this principle with its lack of Overbridge support.

2 Likes

Mine has been to start working on cover songs. Of course I had to decide which piece of gear to use as a main songwriting tool before I got started. I chose the MC-707 because of its built-in synth engine, and a sequencer that can support playback of a song at least 5 min. long.

I’d tried creating original music before, but found myself easily distracted by the gear, trying out different things to see if I could make my musical ideas more interesting.

By focusing on a cover song, I’m less susceptible to that sort of distraction and can just focus on laying down drum parts, bass lines, etc. from the song. In the process, I learn about the sequencer features, synthesis on the particular machine I’m using, etc.

Another side effect has been losing interest in news about new gear, and other topics that are not relevant.

13 Likes

For me, the “have only one thing out until you master it” approach, when followed strictly, is incredibly dull - at least when it’s just a synthesizer or drum machine. If I were in your shoes, I’d choose one of the more complicated boxes - MPC, Digitatk/tone/octa/op-1, and a couple of the synths. put the rest of the things off to the side. Focus on actually making music with just those things for a couple weeks. It helps me personally to pick a genre or mood and just go for it. Cover songs also help a lot.

Frankly though, this is the exact reason people on music forums talk so often about GAS and a “stick to one thing until you know it” approach - even if I personally dislike that way of going about it, it avoids this entire problem :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Kinda same here, too much gear. But a while ago I put a lot in a closet and started jamming with octatrack, digitone and rytm. Using the octatrack as mixer. Thus only beats, some melody and mix/fx components. Very rewarding. Keep it simple. Explore. I’m excited instead of overwhelmed and thrilled by the surprises waiting in the closet.

5 Likes

That’s an amazing list of gear to have fun with. I’d plan out experiments to learn a little bit of everything about every piece of gear. Maybe a few pieces at a time. Eventually you’ll be drawn to what you like the most, and if the other stuff starts collecting dust because you don’t particularly like it or never jived with it, sell it.

1 Like

Here you go. Put the rest away for a good while

10 Likes

I would start with the DT and the SH-01 paired up and sequenced by the DT. The DT is great on its own, but really shines when it’s also sequencing external gear, and learning both its internal workings and behavior as a “brain” will go a long way for you. And the SH-01 will be terrific for getting your subtractive synthesis chops.

5 Likes

There is no need to learn how to use this gear, you probably just have a passion for collecting.
Take it easy, you are not the only one

10 Likes

One synth, one sampler, one drum machine.

Don’t be too strict. Have a couple of setups: one for making music and one for learning something specific. Have just enough in the “making music” setup that you can make either sparse finished songs, or dense patterns, and make tracks/beats when the mood strikes. Have another setup that’s just one box. Use one of the two setups as you feel, but make sure you do somethung with either one, often.

For the “learning” setup, if you don’t know a monosynth deeply, pick a monosynth. Learn how to make basses, leads, percussion, weird space alien fx etc. Use it ‘til you’re bored with it, and then use it some more (going to the other rig whenever you’re in the mood). Then pick a different tool (drum machine, sampler, poly-)

Always have fun; nake silly things that make you laugh; try to make yourself cry or feel afraid. Eventually integrate.

8 Likes

That’s the idea I had, which I hadn’t mentioned.

DT/DN/OT I have in mind as basically my setup for making techno.

The MPC Live II I have in mind as the sampler/brain of a more open ended setup for making house (and maybe other genres).

Basic idea is the hardware is to get ideas going, and to finish tracks in Ableton.

Maybe one day I’ll go back to strictly Ableton, but I feel like a lot of people that don’t have any problem working strictly ITB had some experience working with hardware at some point and developed good workflow habits from that.

2 Likes

If I was in your position I’d watch Ezbot’s video…

… on setting up the Digitakt, Digitone and Octatrack. These 3 are so capable together. The rest of the gear may fit in after that or not.

And when the above setup baffles you or annoys you by not doing what you thought you were doing, and it will, go play with the op1 or Live ii

Have fun :+1:

I’d buy a good mixer for that lot.

6 Likes

Digitakt + Digitone is what I’d focus on given that, maybe adding the Minilogue XD or a Boutique at the most.

Beyond that, I’d probably break all that out into a few different setups and focus on them together, then mix things up once there’s some proficiency.

This. OP-1 is a good candidate imho

What kind of techno are you making?

What you are experiencing is beginner’s GAS. Get rid of it! :wink: Of the GAS I mean.

You need to choose and pick your tools, slowly. One by one.

My suggestion is to put everything back in its box and start with the Octatrack and the Minilogue.

Then add the other stuff one by one. If you know what you want-need, you can give each device its own little task. But you need to figure out what you need first, and how these units operate.

That being said, I do miss an analog mono synth in your list :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Depending on the type of techno, these I think are crucial. A Monologue is a good option. If you bought these things used, you can swop out things without losing sny money.

2 Likes

I did something similar over the last ~5 years.
I tried to cover all possible bases at once and ended up here:

This all got on top of me in the way you describe, there was so much choice I didn’t know where to start. So I didn’t;t and it all sat unused, eating away at my brain and stressing me out over the cost of it all.

Then I committed to the NoGear New Year thread and now the desk looks like this:

Even this is too much, the Virus is so powerful that I probably need to swap it for something simpler! Even OT & Rytm alone would keep me busy for years. Can’t say my musical output has increased much due to other life stuff, but the stress and obsession has all but gone. I sold some stuff and boxed some up for when I want a change.

Anyway, I definitely recommend a minimal setup. I know more about each of these boxes than I did before.

35 Likes