Does the Octatrack Record Samples in Lower Volume than the Source?

Hi,

I’m just starting with sampling on the Octatrack, and maybe I’m missing something, but whenever I sample there seems to be a big difference (I can’t tell if it’s only in volume or in quality too) between the source material and the sample.

In the first scenario when I’m just playing a synth through the Octa it’s fine: The synth is playing through the Octa’s INPUT AB and I’m recording it to Logic, the recording sounds fine.

However in the second scenario when I’m sampling exactly the same synth part into the Octatrack it sounds pretty bad. It’s definitely a lot quieter.

I tried changing the settings from 16bit to 24 bit for the Flexmachine but that didn’t change anything at all.

Is there anything I can do to tweak this?

I’m attaching the two examples: one is the synth playing a sequence running through the Octa’s inputs and into logic. The other is the Octa playing that recorded sample.

Synth through OT to Logic:

https://www.elektronauts.com:/uploads/default/original/3X/8/3/8352b98fde370dd3fc7238642c47eba19d60fa99.wav

Sampled Synth on OT:

https://www.elektronauts.com:/uploads/default/original/3X/9/d/9daab2e95c8f929cc9e56f346b6838797a12b06a.wav

Edit: here’s a screenshot -

Everything is with exactly the same settings / sequence running on the synth. The first square on the left is the waveform of the synth sequence playing through the inputs of the OT and recorded directly to Logic. The second square on the right is the waveform of the sample on the OT, it’s exactly the same sequence only I recorded it to Logic from the OT sample.

I don’t understand why they are so different, is that the compression on the OT?

Interesting. Are they the same volume?

edit:
nevermind; it’s quieter. Hard to tell the difference.

They are exactly the same settings. Nothing different whatsoever in the input/output volume or anything else…

Yea, that’s what I’m wondering: why is it quieter if it’s exactly the same settings? When I hear the synth playing through the Octatrack it sounds nice and loud, but then I don’t change anything, I sample the synth, and when I listen back to the sample it’s much quieter

check the sample settings in EDIT page if VOL is at -12db

You mean Audio Editor > Attributes > Gain = +12db, which is default setting. Octatrack keeps headroom for recordings.

The DIR volume is not the same volume as the VOL in the AMP PAGE. It possible to increase VOL to have the same level.

In the MIXER PAGE, don’t forget the GAIN, the most important to improve your recording levels.

It is possible to listen directly your recording using a Recorder, playing the corresponding Recording in a Flex Machine. DIR set to 0. If you are in slave, turn time stretch to off.

No surprises with levels in that case.

5 Likes

There are a few threads on this issue, here’s one, it’s best to develop (after searching/reading) existing threads - keeps the info all in one place :thup:

1 Like