Does removing my faceplate void my warranty?

As the title says. My A4 has really sticky buttons and it’s starting to annoy me. If I remove the faceplate to see whats causing it will I void my warranty?

Good question! My A4 has sticky Function, Song & Chain buttons!
It was fine with the old ‘flakey paint’ plate so it’s an alignment issue I presume.
Seeing as my A4 has completely died, (again), I’ll let Elektron sort it.

Looking at this

It doesn’t look as simple as just taking the face plate off as the controls are mounted to the underside!

Edit. I should say, the control board is mounted to the underside of the faceplate.

Well I guess it’s same with all instruments – “opening = no warranty”

• As long they (Elektron) cannot see, that it have been opened :wink:

Looking at those photos I’m thinking maybe its not the faceplate causing it then.

the slightest barely visible bit of grime around the trig hole will make your trigs sticky as the gap between the button and the hole is a hair’s width.
The trig buttons actually pop off their switches. A possibly worthwhile mod, at your own risk and no doubt breaking your warranty, would be to remove each trig button and insert a small slice of elastic band inside the button where the switch pole is inserted (a few mm long piece of 1 mm thick elastic band for example, creating a 1mm layer at the top of the hole). When you remount the buttons they will still hold firm, but will stand 1mm taller on your A4, which can be preferable if you’d like slightly taller buttons. It probably protects the switches a little as it gives a slight buffer if you are a hard button presser.
Also this is easily reversible if you want to pick the elastic slices out with a pin at a later date.

I just loosened the faceplate screws rather than remove them. It seems to have helped surprisingly. There is a white scratch mark on the C# (the one that’s the stickiest) so I’m guessing there is something I can’t see catching it.

Full of biscuit crumbs I bet :slight_smile:

pretty sure Elektron’s official stance is “remove faceplate = bad/voided”

Glad you got it sorted at least :slight_smile:

If it’s not sealed, how can they know if you changed the faceplate? (as long as you don’t post it here! :smile:)

I don’t know, Could be some seal or something that breaks to show it’s been opened. Never cracked one open to have a look. iPhones have a little dot in the charger hole that turns pink if it gets wet so you never know with electronics

I think I saw someone from Elektron around this forum say that it would be ok to remove the face plate to align the buttons. He also gave some tips to be careful with some wiring… Maybe I cant find this via search…

Edit: cant find any proof of my statement. So better ask support for clearance, better safe than sorry.

1 Like

I also remember something like this! At least I think I remember it.

1 Like

Maybe @Ess ?

I have read a few reports of support saying it was OK to open for some specific cases that seemed easy enough to DIY and not have to send to the mothership. Of course this is after sending in a support ticket and being given specific instructions for each case, the mothership gave them the OK to do so for their unit…

I’d write to them and tell them you just want to change the faceplate and have warranty concerns, and see if you can get their OK to do so, documented in the support ticket…

4 Likes

Please contact our support staff first for a recommendation. They’ll probably give you a go for opening the case, but it’s best to just square it beforehand, and they probably have some good tips for your situation. :slight_smile:

5 Likes