Does Digitone send electrical ground to the metal chassis?

I can’t think of a more boring first post here, but I need to know if there is ground (earth) running through the physical metal chassis of the Digitone.

Thanks in advance.

PS this information is paramount to the success of my homemade time machine.

PPS it’s not actually for a time machine, I just wanted to add some tension.

4 Likes

This is surmise, rather than verified knowledge, but…

Digitone is powered from an outboard power supply with a two-conductor (i.e., ungrounded) mains connection. Therefore, I don’t see how there can be a direct connection between the chassis and any external ground.

1 Like

I think sometimes electronics design uses a connection between the chassis and the negative side to create a faraday cage as a means of noise reduction. I might be wrong about that, but if you can verify your answer I would be glad to accept it as fact. Thank you for giving me something to go off of. Maybe I’m using the term ground incorrectly to describe the information I’m looking for. I just need to know if electricity of any kind passes through the chassis.

Please take my answer with a pinch of salt, as I’m not a trained engineer. I’m happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable. But here’s my understanding:

In audio electronics, Earth and Ground are not the same thing. Earth is an electrical safety system, and Ground is a voltage reference.

“Earth” is a physical point, literally a piece of metal stuck into the earth, that things are connected to, to provide safety in the event of a mains electricity short. “Ground” is a point in a circuit to which other voltages are referred to. It would be better named “Common” or “Reference”. In the case of the Digitone, it’s probably the negative side of the 12V DC power supply.

The Digitone is powered by a 2-wire supply, so it’s not Earthed. If you connect it to a piece of earthed audio equipment, eg an amplifier, it might become Earthed that way.

You ask whether ground is “running through” the chassis, which doesn’t really make sense. Voltages don’t run anywhere, it’s electrical current that flows.

The Digitone chassis may be connected to ground, this could be checked easily with a multimeter. I’m curious why you want to know this? The 12C DC power supply is not something to worry about. The safety instructions at the start of the manual tell you all you need to know.

2 Likes

Did you come back in time to ask this, or would that cancel it out? My brain…

1 Like

I need to use an anti corrosive agent in my top screw holes and I am hoping to learn whether it needs to have dielectric properties to guard against future electrolysis.

I’m just asking for a confirmed answer, perhaps from someone who has checked it with a multimeter as was suggested by the previous post. Semantics aside, just a confirmed answer. Please.

Blockquote

It’s regarding my grandparents vintage digitone which I will inherit in the year 2063 and I’ve marty mcflown back to 2023 to prevent this rust. Because in 2063 all music is fm skweee and I gotta look cool for the peeps.

edit: apparently I can’t figure out how to use a quote but you know what I’m quoting and I’m not committed to fixing the mistake, just to acknowledging that there was one.

4 Likes

No.

No.

4 Likes

fanks

edit: for posterity, this information has now been confirmed with a multimeter.

1 Like

Also for posterity.

2 Likes