Doepfer Dark Energy MkI vs MkIII

Been wanting a semi-modular setup lately… I really like the demos I’ve heard of these online and love how many tonal variations these units give you in such a small space. Anyone have first-hand experience with the different versions of the DE? I like the rounder tone of the MkI but the filter of the MkIII sound get pretty crazy when modulated by the LFOs.

Or maybe just get both?

So just snagged a Mk1 in an eBay deal that I couldn’t pass up… so I guess the question is whether to get him a little MkIII buddy.

2 Likes

With the flood of B*synths the Doepfer Dark Energy seems overprized, but from my memory, the DE mk i has a fantastic sound, and Dieter made some small but well thoughtfull Changes to the Mk3. The VCO is Curtis based again (Triangle core, but not a CoolAudio Chip, rather from the Curtis factory). No Warm-up time needed, plus it tracks stable across 8 octaves! The SVF is able to work as Sine OSC, which can be linear FMed. The VCA has now also a linear control scale, which results in a softer Sound. The two LFOs go into audio range 5kHz…
So, worth to Check it Out.

1 Like

Dark Energy MK1 has a (beautifully sounding) 24db low pass filter (CEM339), Mk2/Mk3 have 12db multimode filter (low pass/Notch/high pass/band pass).

What i didnt Like…No on/Off Switch, knobs are very Close to each other.

I have had both (really, all three - the Mkii for a while as well). Currently I have the Mkiii version.

I have always acquired them used (and saved quite a bit from new) - and while still more costly than other monosynths out there, I really do enjoy the sounds that come out of the Doepfer unit (any of them) and for me the DE has a place as a no presets, compact, all knobs visible, type synthsezier.

Having said that, I’m happy with the Mkiii at this point - in particular given the multimode filter. You probably know that the internals are different from Mki to Mkiii as well, and with the filter variability I’m very happy with what I am able to get out of it vs. the Mki. And as was also pointed out - no warm up time needed (like the Mkii). The only thing I miss vs. the Mki is there were a couple of patch points on the Mk1 at the bottom (for LFO1 and ADSR IIRC) that changed and I probably preferred what the Mki offered vs. the Mkiii (apparently this can be tweaked via the insides of the Mkiii, but not a big enough deal for me to try it).

Anyway - if I had a Mki and was completely happy with it, would I buy a Mkiii? Probably not - would go for something totally different. But if I was deciding between the two - I think I would go with the latest version.

Lastly - I’m a DE fan - great little boxes.

2 Likes

Hi everybody.
I’m interested in Doepfer Dark Energy.
Someone can help me to understand the difference between mod. 1,2,3?
I read something about filter type and modulation possibilities.
I read also that version 2 seems not to be the best.
Is it true?

Thanks

Differences are mainly filters, exponential/linear fm and different patch points.

DE 1 has a 24 db low pass filter (CEM 3394) and offers exponential and linear fm, DE2 and DE3 are 12 db multimode filters and exponential fm.

Detailed specs are on the Doepfer website

http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Energy_e.htm

http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Energy_II_e.htm

http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Energy_III_e.htm

2 Likes

thanks

1 Like

DE1 is best, then 3, then 2 IMHO.

1 Like

I have DE mk 2, sounds very good. Be aware, it is a gate way to modular drugs.

I’m scared…
Frankly I come from digital device, cheap and compact synths.
If i’ll purchase it I hope it will be my only analog synth, I hope…

Thanks for worning

The difference is naturally between the filters & other minor details, but THE BIGGEST difference between them is that the MK. 2 takes up to 30 minutes to warm up enough to stay in tune! So I would definitely either get the MK. 1 or the MK. 3.

may be some confusion there - the second version of V1 is the one to get :wink:

that’s the one i have - it has extra pin outs on the v2 PCB for hackers who want extra i/o, it’s not a DE2 though, i guess it’s a DE1.v2

V2 of MK. 1, hah!

1 Like

yes - iirc it has oscillator shape taps and extra lfo out options and more besides, check Doepfer for v2 pcb differences or youtube for demos

http://www.doepfer.de/pdf/Dark_Energy_technical_information.pdf

Im in tel aviv, its get warm in 10 min

1 Like

I’ve the mk3 and it gets midi and cv from A4. Works great and you get deep low mono sub bass!

1 Like

Thanks to everybody. Now it’s time to think…

DE3 no longer available! :thinking:
Has anyone some news?