Do you make music that you enjoy listening to or do you make music that you enjoy making?

that must be nice…

I sit down stoked to make some sounds…wanting to do something along the lines of the byproduct of a BoC/Ae/MBM/AFX gang-bang…and in the end turn out Pandora easy listening. its disheartening at best…and I walk away in utter disappointment.

1 Like

Most of the stuff that I make now is drone, noise, and space music/new age type of things. I like performing noise (like, doing a jam in the living room, not with people who paid to be entertained or anything) more than I like listening back to my performance or other people’s records. I do really enjoy listening to the drone stuff I make now, but it’s hard to know whether there would be much of an audience for it. I started doing these generative drones that have a lot of pretty subtle movement in them a few months ago. I was tired all the time and didn’t feel like messing with hardware so I’d make this stuff and I’d start feeling super peaceful and fall asleep in front of my computer once I got it all set up. My spouse also seems to enjoy relaxing to my drones, which is pretty awesome. It seems like a tough sell to random other people, but on the other hand, 12 hours of Star Trek TNG engine noise has 2.6 million views on YouTube, so you never know!

5 Likes

I make music that is only possible to finish and wow the world with when midi 2.0 becomes common place.

2 Likes

I love listening back to stuff I’ve made. I am a bit hyper critical though: a playback goes something like this:

• Nice one, this is good
  • Why’d you do that
  • Stop repeating that one bit
  • You ruined it you fool
  • Nice recovery
  • The cymbals are too loud
  • You ran out of steam at the end
  • You used pattern 2 to death
  • You gave it a stupid name
  • 6 minutes are you having a joke
6 Likes

I find it best to just honor the idea. Sometimes that means following it to and end product which is not anything I personally may listen to. Sometimes that means an end product that is right up my alley. Often it means leaving an idea to the ether when you start to force it or it’s simply is not anything inspiring.

By the way none of this speaks to quality in my opinion. I’ve finished tracks that are atypical to me that are quite good(IMO). I try to use all this exploration to learn techniques I otherwise wouldn’t pursue. It also helps to gain new perspective in songwriting and arranging. The haughtier side of me also considers it part of finding my “voice” :face_with_monocle:

Surprised you feel this way; some of your stuff in the current sounds topic are definitely along these lines if you ask me.

3 Likes

Good point. I would agree.

1 Like

When I make music, I do consider whether I would listen to it myself. In other words: If it was playing at a friend’s place (not gonna happen :nerd_face: but let’s assume for the sake of the argument…), would I enjoy it enough to care to look it up?

Often I don’t succeed at this, but I consider it to be worthwhile to analyze my music in this way. As they say one is one’s own harshest critic.

1 Like

I love stoner rock. I make psytech, its also my favourit subgenere, besides techno, sometimes i make ambient, i just find some things to pop for my taste, i.e. melodic techno is ok for background (but fun to make), but for active listening i need harder stuff.
I would love a subgenere of stoner rock techno.

1 Like

If I listen to the results and don’t like them, I feel the process was mostly in vain, irrespective of how much I enjoyed the process. OTOH there’s always something to learn from why I don’t like the result. But mostly I struggle to get good mixdowns of multitracked tracks where I’m pleased with the composition / arrangement. It can get frustrating.

Where’s the new music, buddy? :grinning:

1 Like

Ah man, I mean the other problem with getting feedback from people you know is, even if your stuff is good, they still probably won’t like it.

There’s a ton of bands that objectively are good and sound very much bands I love, but I just can’t stand them.

On topic: I generally make what I can make. I’m not very good at making something close to what I intended to make, but I generally like what I’ve done, mostly from a personal satisfaction point of view that ignores the inherent laziness and lack of polish in most of what I make. I tend to feel a lot more positive about what I’ve made 6 plus months later with a less critical ear as well.

2 Likes

Exactly as it should be, otherwise we get content.

I mean as an artist that would probably solve all our problems and save us loads of time/stress/money etc but we should know by now we’re in it for the long haul and contentment is not an option.

3 Likes

i’d say when i’m on a creative roll i’m normally listening to my own music 80% of the time, other peoples music the other 20%. i’m pretty self indulgent and egotistical tho so im sure its because of that heh

2 Likes

I enjoy listening to the music I make, however the stuff I make for myself isn’t always the exact aesthetic I usually take to, some clay just forms itself differently, as it will.

1 Like

I’ve been struggling with it, but I keep on

1 Like

I got to a point where the musik I make sounds like what I want to make.
This being also one of my favorite genres to listen to. So yeah, both! :slight_smile:

1 Like

me too and let’s be honest, I don’t come close to the quality and style of any of them.
I still enjoy trying it, and I like the outcome in its own way. Don’t be so hard on yourself, these are legends

2 Likes

they are also just people. :wink:

5 Likes

I make the music that I want to hear, or try to at least. Though I never listen to only my own music creations, I do bump my own shit… So yeah, I like what I make and regularly and shamelessly play my own jams. “with the windows rolled up and the woofer on thump.”

Edit: Quote is from Queen Badu (Puff)