Do People Actually Make Money Selling Sound Packs/Presets etc?

Just wondering. Seems like money for nothing if they do, maybe i should get in on the action.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure the ones who are good at it and hustle do make a little money.

1 Like

Related discussion:

7 Likes

Some do, most dont. Itā€™s a digital file that anyone can share. Catch 22. Stay small enough you can trust your few customers you can get a very small amount, get big enough you actually have customers it goes online for free. But even beyond piracy itā€™s just a massively oversaturated market and always will be. Not worth my time imo

4 Likes

lol

I make a bit of money from sample packs. Maybe a couple hundred in the week that I release a pack, and then it varies wildly, especially if I get slack and donā€™t release/promote anything for a while.

Itā€™s not really ā€œmoney for nothingā€ though. For me, itā€™s sometimes 20+ hours of work to record, edit, compile and package a sample pack, possibly even more if itā€™s a pack of synth presets. Coupled with Gumroad premium account fees it doesnā€™t amount to much in terms of hourly rate.

4 Likes

sound packs & presets for hardware ā€” rather yes.
for software ā€“ theyā€™ll eventually be pirated (so i wouldnā€™t, but YMMV)

1 Like

Samples from Uranus i think do.

3 Likes

I sold sample packs for software samplers for years. Those packs made me a consistent income, despite being pirated almost immediately. It wasnā€™t enough money to live on, but as @pselodux says, the initial releases would sell in decent numbers, with sales after that trickling to a slower, steady pace. I did pretty much no advertising and never kept a mailing list, so never spammed customers. My ā€˜licenseā€™ was realistic - I merely asked that the customer not share their private URL, but suggested that it was okay to share with band mates and collaborators. I think this was appreciated in an industry that can be somewhat draconian about such things.

The trick is to offer something different. For me, that meant original sounds made with gear to which my customers might not have access. It is a lot of work, but if you make sounds that you want to use in your own productions, youā€™ve got nothing to lose.

Eventually, I shuttered the thing. Not because it was losing money or anythingā€¦ I simply didnā€™t have the time to keep pumping out new products. Iā€™ve considered doing it again (I have two very nice unreleased sample packs for Elektron machines sitting on my hard drive), but other things have kept me too busy.

7 Likes

ā€¦some doā€¦some donā€™tā€¦

old friend of mine has just finished a prominent artist signature sonic miracle box for abletonā€¦available this autumnā€¦at abletons websiteā€¦
thatā€™s moneyā€¦i can tell uā€¦
but there, u really gotto know how and have ur sonic shit togetherā€¦

and in smaller businessā€¦it can count alsoā€¦dataline just released some retro special sample pack, suited for the rytmā€¦

but basicallyā€¦it makes only sense with sense behind itā€¦
in 9 out of 10ā€¦thatā€™s simply not the caseā€¦

so, if u donā€™t wanna become the one millionā€™st midi pack guyā€¦
u better have a truu idea to come up with for realā€¦

2 Likes

You mean samples from Mars? Hehe. Wasnā€™t sure if you were making a joke there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

if you are just getting into it and youā€™re going to self release then itā€™s going to take time. you have to build a following somewhat. if you have a big foot print on social media or have some notoriety youā€™ll have a better time. still, thereā€™s a lot of people doing it who basically do full time blogging, youtube, etc etc. .and are always on line promoting and stuff.

iā€™ve released 2 sample libraries that are pretty large collections of one hits for percussive type sounds and weird shit. the first one was many years ago and was released by Samplephonics. I still get a royalty from it every quarter. this is always a nice surprise. But itā€™s not how i make a living. itā€™s just some extra cash.

the 2nd one i self released via bandcamp and itā€™s not nearly as popular as the first one simply because it doesnā€™t have a large promotional machine behind it that does marketing etc and includes in subscription deals and sales etc. but itā€™s of similar/same quality and style and has more samples in it. itā€™s just hard to get people to pay attention unless half your time is spent getting people to pay attention.

that being saidā€¦ https://www.pluginguru.com/ does really well w/his preset packs. heā€™s a pro though and has been doing it forever. used to make sounds for korg hardware synths in the 80s and 90s and all that. heā€™ does it full time. has a monster site. does youtube videos etc. i met him a few times here in portland and talked about it all w/him and at the time he was doing really well. he had hired another sound designer to work with him on specific packs. that guy then got hired away by spectrasonics and moved down to cali to work on sound design for them doing omnisphere stuff i think. so, there is kind of a career path if youā€™re good at it and lucky and meet people etc.

if youā€™re going to try to pay your bills doing it then it needs to be your everything. if you just want to dabble in it then you can make a few extra bucks here and there which is nice. but donā€™t plan on financing a 3 week vacation to hawaii. but ya never know.

3 Likes

ah, forgot about that. social is like kryptonite to me, so i guess it might be hard to do a DIY thing.