Do looks matter?

Definitely a cost saving decision since it can share same insides as 37 key polar.

Since the term ā€œtoyā€ gets thrown around here and there, I absolutely love these early Casio toy keyboards like the PT-1 or the SK-1!

1 Like

ā€¦iā€™m digging black and grey full onā€¦thankfully all gadgets i use can go along with thatā€¦
if something doesā€™nt, but i need it anywayā€¦i costumize it full on to make them fit inā€¦
not that much for my studio gearā€¦but my live rigs are defintitly following strict design ordersā€¦
what is on stage with me, must deliver proper sound AND a good lookā€¦no way around itā€¦

last time i really had to make a big changeā€¦was an elcro harmonix stereo man with hazaraiā€¦
what a goodsounding and great stompbox deviceā€¦but fuck it looks like shit to me with itā€™s babyblueish graphics printed onā€¦so i painted it black right out of the box and rewrote all itā€™s info with a white permanent marker by handā€¦now it looks cool and fitā€™s perfectly with the dreadbox nyx next to itā€¦
which is one of the rare instruments i didā€™nt change at allā€¦

and sorry, but roland designs where in most cases the worst iā€™ve seenā€¦specially all this aira stuffā€¦really ugly to me, with itā€™s neon green stripes and this strange pult symetriesā€¦bahā€¦

i even cover all logosā€¦so all my elektron gear for example, has no elektron logosā€¦all tape covered in blackā€¦i like understatement and dirty old looks a lotā€¦

my mpcā€™s are all blackā€¦so even the pads and the knobs are all exchanged to black versionsā€¦
yup, iā€™m a bit crazy when it comes to looksā€¦and good gearā€¦

#SynthLyfe :smiley:

1 Like

ā€¦and that look was surely what enticed Bernard Sumner into tweaking THAT bassline out of it.

1 Like

The Octatrack 2 really grew on my, the second most attractive thing I own is the Monologue 2 in red. Beautiful for such a cheap piece of gear. The Ableton push is also a solid thing, beautiful in a form follows function way. I even like the 80s Russian missile command style of the Push 1 display.

The Teenage Engineering Po 32 is the ugly child thatā€™s loved despite of its ugliness.

To be fair, every guitar would be right in his hands. I do miss the guy.

2 Likes

Yea, I think the Moog Grandmother is beautiful as well.
I also love the look of the Studiologic Sledge (blacked out version).

1 Like

For me look does matter a lot. Thatā€˜s why I bought the OT mk2 to make it look good next to my DN and DT. Love the look of my trio!

Sometimes i look at my Sub 37 while playing other synthsā€¦they instantly sound better.No jokeā€¦

:rofl:

I once read about people listening to mixes in a studio environment while looking at a vynyl record spinning on a turntable to guage if it sounded warm enoughā€¦looks matterā€¦!

3 Likes

eye is in the beholder

1 Like

No more yellow synths please!imageimage

:lemon::lemon::lemon:

1 Like

All my machines are black, so yeah it matters somewhatā€¦

I want FUGLY moog knobs on all my synths!

Following your ā€œstudio adviceā€ I think Iā€™ll pop the Minitaur knobs on the A4 to get better Bass.

1 Like

https://www.roland.com/us/products/system-8/ the green mist behind the system 8 actually makes it look pretty coolā€¦ now to get a green fog machine from my system 1m

Yes, Iā€™m superficial. I almost didnā€™t want to buy the Analog Four mk2 because I thought it was so ugly but the look of it has grown on me. I donā€™t think I could bring myself to upgrade my Rytm mk1 to mk2 though as the mk1 looks so much nicer to me.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure about the look of the Mk2s either! Love the DT / DN styling though.

This article on design and the joy it brings may be of interest for the question discussed here:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/aug/19/ode-to-joy-how-to-find-happiness-in-balloons-and-rainbows

2 Likes

They matter a great deal to me. I mean I will be looking at the damn thing for hours so it sure helps if it looked good.

My favorite looking instrument that I own is the Digitakt easily. That screen just looks gorgeous. It has a cool retro scifi look to it that I really enjoy. The TR-8 is not as bad as people make it out to be. In low light it looks really cool and feels good. Keep in mind that this is one of the few drum machines with faders, which is such a joy to play with. Play the sequencer has incredibly good buttons. Donā€™t get the hateā€¦

Two instruments that I drool over for mere looks are the Monomachince and the Machinedrum. The just look freaking incredible. That gray! and those small leds. It looks like the future.

2 Likes

ā€¦triple yessssssā€¦never again pleeeeeeeaseā€¦