Do I cancel my Digitakt order and get digitone?

I already have a behringer synth but I just heard this and honestly having second guesses again. I know its only 4 tracks compared to 8 but this insane…Should I just getaway with learning Operator on ableton? I have no idea what my best option is but this seems like a full jam

Well, the digitakt is a sampler, so there’s really no comparison between all the things you’ve cited.

Why did you order it in the first place ?

2 Likes

Seems like pairing a Digitakt with the Behringer synth you already have would be a rad combo, especially if you sequence it with the DT. You’d have synths and sampling!

I’d say if you want to get crazy with samples stick with it, but nothing wrong with changing your mind or going for both!:grin:

Digitone is a fantastic box though, and I think they’re both great machines. It just depends on you and what music you like to make.

1 Like

depends on your goals. What do you want to achieve with it. Do you prefer synth sounds or sample based sounds? What kind of music style do you want to make?

1 Like

Depends on what you want, Digitakt is an awesome drum machine in the first place. It also depends on your Behringer synth, if that’s a Deepmind you can keep the Takt, if it’s a clone it doesn’t really matter because the lack of Midi CC on the Behringer side leaves the Elektron sequencer without a hand imho. On the other hand you can sample the Behringer into the Takt so it really depends on your expectations, workflow and so on.

1 Like

Sell „the“ Behringer synth and get Digitone and Digitakt!

13 Likes

I like subtractive synthesis and can get what I need from it. I find FM to be weird and can’t really get what I want out of it. Not to knock the DN, but I’d rather have a DT or a subtractive synth. But that’s just me…you do you. I probably need to spend more time with the DN to like it more, but as of right now it’s listed locally.

1 Like

I don’t get, what did you hear? I mean from your statement “I just heard this”.

The Digitakt and Digitone are completely different boxes, with different purposes, different features, they aren’t at all comparable (except if maybe you use the DN simply as a drum machine, which would be… A bit weird but it’s also a pretty capable percussion synthesizer so understandable.

What do you want from your purchase? Why did you buy the Digitakt? What are you looking for to add on your setup?

3 Likes

I meant the hypnodigi example on soundcloud under their digitone playlist but I also forgot to link it. I wanted to digitakt to get away from ableton and just experiment but I also really like synthesis and was on a budget. I keep seeing amazing examples for both, just not too sure if Operator will get me the same results or not as DN.

I am considering not upgrading my desktop and just getting a digitone too but I’m currently learning Operator so no Idea how much the workflow will benefit me…I guess ableton has the best sampler but i just really wanted to work more restricted. I had an SP 404 before and did not like the workflow I hope this isn’t a similar experience ?

It was that or a TR8 but I wanted something that was not a linear DAW workflow, but when I heard digitone examples I also saw people getting away with trig conditions and had no idea if I should do FM vst synth and digitakt or Digitone with abletonsampler.

I guess they’re very easy to sell anyway, I am not even that good at Ableton Operator for example but I am with subtractice synths, so I guess I should just worry about maxing this combo out first. I really just see crazy Digitone videos and hear my studio rumble but I guess I can get my pure waves from the Behringer.

1 Like

Digitakt was my first elektron and its probs the best thing I’ve ever used. I got a DN and still not quite gelled with it. But getting there. I also just picked up a rytm mk2 cus I loved the DT so much:D get the DT - sit with the manual and learn it like an instrument. You will be amazed what u can do with JUST the DT

1 Like

If this is your first Elektron box, keep the Digitakt for now and learn it! It’s pretty immediate, yet can get really deep if you want. This will help you learn the Elektron workflow and a lot of it will translate to the DN, if you decide to grab one in the future. I love my DN, but if I decide to break out just one box, 90% of the time, it’s the DT. Plus, you can sample all of the stuff you’ve been making in operator! It’s not an end all be all box, but there is so much there I doubt you’ll be missing a DT once you learn a few tricks.

3 Likes

I Use a Digitone along side other subtractive analogues, some from Behringer. The DN makes a brilliant companion to analogue stuff. It’s enough of a contrast and really easy to get great solids sounds. I’m not a fan of the B sequencers on my synths so I use the 4 midi channels on the DN to sequence them.

As others have pointed out it all depends what you want to do. The DT is a sampler and the DN is a synth but you can still get some great drum/percussion out of the DN too.[quote=“1000bns, post:12, topic:141458, full:true”]
I guess they’re very easy to sell anyway, I am not even that good at Ableton Operator for example but I am with subtractice synths, so I guess I should just worry about maxing this combo out first. I really just see crazy Digitone videos and hear my studio rumble but I guess I can get my pure waves from the Behringer.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Honestly it will depend on your preference and workflow. Both the Digitakt and Digitone have tricks that make the workflow more fun than a DAW, BUT you gotta ask yourself if it’s worth the cost.

Take my case as an example :

I had both Digitakt and Digitone, and while I sold both, I only regret the Digitakt.

The Digitone was fun, BUT the sequencing workflow isn’t particularly convenient for what I do, so while I enjoyed playing it as an expander (and I really liked the arp), I realised it wasn’t worth the price. (to each his own though, it highly depend on what kind of music you make, and how you’re able to go around the limitations).

The Digitakt in another hand, did offer me a workflow that was more convenient than my DAW, sequencing-wise, and while some limitations are frustrating, they’re not an essential part of what I do. And the Digitakt has some fun tricks that speed up a lot my workflow, and being a sampler, is more interesting to me sound-wise.

With that being said, I’d say, keep the digitakt, it’s not hard to sell, and is hella fun, especially if you don’t treat it as a regular sampler (because it’s not where its strength lies).