Do any of you release music made from jamming?

are you jams structured (intro, chorus etc…) for editing purpose or do you break it down in DAW adding or subtracting?

thank you

1 Like

not so much of a traditional song structure thing, but i usually start with relatively simple stuff and build it up over the course of the track , maybe do a bit of a breakdown or something, and then simplify things again at the end.

i don’t end up adding much stuff in the daw, mostly taking away things i find annoying, or cutting stuff into more easily digestible lengths

2 Likes

I upload jams and use Daw for recoding it and “loudness” factor, otherwise it is improvising pattern muting and fx vis mixing board .

I would like to sculpt the recording in the future ( tmrw:)

thanks for sharing…

1 Like

YES!

This release is a small label I used to co-run. Now I only take a small role. My friend still runs it by himself. This release got some attention. One track was featured and promoted by some nice people.

I was asked to do a split release by (and with) some nice people. (maybe not the style you make, but it made it at least)

Honestly, I tried the one track at a time way recently and it didn’t feel right. Nothing was as tight as the live recording. I also thought I would be able fix a lot of stuff in the mix, but I just ended up exploring all these mixing strategies I’d been thinking about to no end. Lastly, I find composing far harder because I can literally do anything. I like the limitations of live, I guess…

I recently went back to finish another project with the “live to stereo” method (Rytm + Digitone + MFB Nanozwerg through Boss Bx-8). I was ultra careful about headroom, sound design, and separation. I did composing on DT990 Pros and mixing and leveling on Audeze LCD-X and Genelecs (with ARC 3.0). I’m REALLY happy with the results so far. There’s a really glued together sound with everything still retaining its place with clarity.

I’d say proper monitoring has made the biggest difference for me.

11 Likes

I always record jammed track. And I try to keep the first take if no big mistake. The first take is always the best. Recording jams add humanizations and original mute/unmute tracks.

With OB, I like to record separate channel of my DT so I can add dynamics on drum tracks, more advanced delay on melodies and better master compressor on the main bus.

5 Likes

This thread might be of use:

I’m still exploring as I only recently got myself a setup that allows me to jam. I’m a bit torn between using OB or recording just the output of the Digitakt and call it a day… I’ll explore.

I also experience, through this exploration, that the more granular I make it, the less joy I feel and I’m losing myself in details. O the other hand, jamming takes practice. I’m thinking of an hybrid, as I’m using a computer still, it’s possible to punch in parts, and play a few layers on top of the sequenced stuff with just the keyboard.

Enough talking, going to practice, hopefully come back ith something to listen to sooner than later.

Cheers for the conversation, I find it interesting to read each one’s experience and method!

2 Likes

Yes! Not always (acutally usually not) the first take for me, but I love the happy mistakes of forgetting to mute something and ending it a bit late (or the opposite), etc. Those “happy mistakes” are my favorite things about it. In all honesty, I always wanted to make tracks the way the Analord series was recorded (despite my studio being much smaller…).

3 Likes

I think the main aspect that appeals to me with jamming as a way or making a tune is the speed of it. I don’t enjoy spending weeks polishing a tune, although I like the result of what I’ve done in the past…

2 Likes

Not structured at all. I often have no plan. I just go for it and jam for 15-45 min.

1 Like

Both your tracks are fantastic and totally up my alley!!

3 Likes

most of the tracks i’ve released in recent years are jams that get edited for length and mixed. have also done lot’s of straight to 2 track stuff over the years… sometimes performing the track multiple times and keeping the best take.

if you multitrack and just record all the time you’ll happen upon many tracks.

1 Like

yep, this is how I work now too.
i make usually a 1 bar pattern on the Octatrack, loads of modulation & resampling tracks n make it into a proper composition on the fly. recorded stereo out thru OTO Boum in 1 take & master in ableton.

I find it such a nice way to Work, after years of mindbending itb stuff where I’d end up hating my tunes by the time they were finished, and ultimately made me fall out of love with writing for years due to the process being a tormenting experience :sweat_smile:

here’s my first release with this method, released on Frontend Synthetics Records in April this year… (I shared it on the ourmusic thread before but it seems relevant to this thread)

6 Likes

second what @fukinay said. these are excellent!

1 Like

90% of my releases since the late 80’s were recorded straight to stereo live jams. For me arrangements/song mode can get too formulaic unless I make a conscious effort to avoid it. I enjoy the freedom of doing it on the fly, and if you mess up just do another, you can always edit after anyway.

Probably 80% of electronic dance music is extremely boring to me, a lot of it sounds too automated and predictable because to a certain extent, the industry demands it. But I have no interest in “the industry” so my opinion probably doesn’t count for much :laughing:

5 Likes

not yet.
anyway, i don’t see any reason to make „proper“ recordings (i.e. spend a lot of time and money to make tracks according to modern (over)production standards).

Tracking out the DT is not very usefull because:

• You may lost the tail of the delay or reverb, unless you record 3 loop : the begin, the middles and the end. You will need some cut and arrangement maybe sometime with crossfader to have a good result.
  • The master compressor will not act the same if you play every tracks or if you play just one. Tracking out with the master compressor enabled would have a strange behavior unless you adjust it at every track you record.

Using OB, you record straight your jam into 8 tracks without the FX and without the master compressor. You just have to add some plugins in post to get back FX and compressor. But you loose the ability to PLock fx send on some trigs.

So I think there is 2 workflows with the DT : Recording the master out in one take or recording the tracked out in one take. Tracking out from the master you get the worst of 2 world.

1 Like

I tend to record the main of the Digitakt, all in one go.

I may track an individual track as I would track another synth, and with effects, yes, I have to take care getting the tails right. I do avoid the compressor in such cases, or use it for that instrument like that.

Anyways, I’m attempting to record as much as possible in one go. I’m currently working on a track where I recorded a log take of Sub 37, two of Blofeld, and then in another one the Digitakt, a Sub 37 bass, Degitone just one track and effects, as a stereo track.

My current philosophy is “least separate tracks as reasonable for me” and we’ll see, it will change :blush:

2 Likes

i’ve got some stuff that came from jamming that was released, i used to do a slight edit on it to remove some length usually it was a jam with modular/analog rytm and it is recorded in stereo direct from the mixing table output, there is a lot of fine tuning before to be sure everything is mixed properly before playing it
https://ante-rasa.bandcamp.com/track/human-koala-half-asleep
this one for example and there’s no chance i can reproduce it :confused:

2 Likes

Dawww :blush: Much thanks! Feel Like I’ve grown a lot since then, but still dig them myself. :+1: