Do any of you release music made from jamming?

I tend to record the main of the Digitakt, all in one go.

I may track an individual track as I would track another synth, and with effects, yes, I have to take care getting the tails right. I do avoid the compressor in such cases, or use it for that instrument like that.

Anyways, I’m attempting to record as much as possible in one go. I’m currently working on a track where I recorded a log take of Sub 37, two of Blofeld, and then in another one the Digitakt, a Sub 37 bass, Degitone just one track and effects, as a stereo track.

My current philosophy is “least separate tracks as reasonable for me” and we’ll see, it will change :blush:

2 Likes

i’ve got some stuff that came from jamming that was released, i used to do a slight edit on it to remove some length usually it was a jam with modular/analog rytm and it is recorded in stereo direct from the mixing table output, there is a lot of fine tuning before to be sure everything is mixed properly before playing it
https://ante-rasa.bandcamp.com/track/human-koala-half-asleep
this one for example and there’s no chance i can reproduce it :confused:

2 Likes

Dawww :blush: Much thanks! Feel Like I’ve grown a lot since then, but still dig them myself. :+1:

The two tracks on this release were both jams:

“Keyhex” was Analog Four and Roland TM-2 (CV sequenced)
“Sledgin” was Monomachine and a Rytm kick.

Both arranged live, which is pretty common for me, but recorded stereo, which is not very common for me.

I was using a Monomachine with a bad battery at the time I made Sledgin, and I had corrupted my sysex backup, so that stereo recording was all I had, and the Monomachine kit was rather complex with lots of neighbor routing.

3 Likes

I absolutely love to record and release jams. You can feel the spontaneity and it’s something that just gels with me. I used to do improv shows quite a bit too and I miss doing so.

2 Likes

I agree :slight_smile: :raised_hand:

1 Like

Moving away from traditional DAW arranging and just recording jams is how I started to make better music, yes absolutely, most of my releases these days are the results of jamming :+1:

2 Likes

I did a short turn release a couple years ago that was just modular and an old Korg KPR77 recorded straight to Zoom H4N out of the Mackie.
The whole point was to do the least amount of production on it and just make raw unapologetic electronic stuff. Some of it was great, some was cringe.
For the most part though what I do is record my whole rig into my computer multitrack.
Then I edit each track. Dropping notes and beats here and there to break down and build up stuff.
Sometimes fixing timing or changing it to make it do things the machines can’t normally do.
This has become so routine for me that I’m moving in the opposite direction now.
Writing and rehearsing songs on my machines for weeks or months. Then committing to recording them.

All my tunes have been created as a jam, though they’re multitracked and edited slightly afterwards. I typically have 3 patterns on my Digitone (main pattern beginning, bridge, main pattern ending) and DN is also sending midi to other gear… I think up a performance plan of how the patterns and mutes should be done and practice a few times going through those 3 patterns. Also have 2 or 3 patterns on my Machinedrum that will compliment the Digitone pattern I’m on. Before hitting record I commit to a few pre-planned live tweaks like bringing in a sub-oscillator on a synth, increasing the decay on an open hihat, ctr-al for a fill or fading in a musical element somewhere.

In the end, it turns out to be a semi planned performance that is susceptible to mistakes (happy accidents) happening throughout. The stems for my Ambika, DN, Machinedrum + MFB 522, and Virus all can be edited for volume, eq, length, and daw fx afterwards if needed. Almost like I get the best of both worlds, a jam oriented approach with some flexibility after. I also run my entire drum track through Livecut afterwards for glitchy rolls and fills. I couldn’t do this effectively by recording only 1 stereo track.

Recording one single stereo track never seemed to work that good for me as my mixing skills sometimes leave one element too loud volume wise (though still an issue at times due to recording my DN as 1 stereo track) It seems the general consensus is that most of us tackle our tracks from a “jam” like approach and go from there. It keeps a lot of the mojo of the original idea, while working fast enough to prevent it from becoming stale. I can’t work on 1 track for months. Did that in the box for years and it was a creativity killer.

1 Like

very rarely.
I put few jammed tracks on youtube but I tend to record every stem and arrange it in a daw.
But I would prefer Recording jams. I usually just use very light eq and compression in the daw anyway and the arrangements are often just mimicking what I worked out in the jam before.
I just feel insecure when committing to a single stereo track :slightly_smiling_face:
Recording all single stems is often very tedious and time consuming. that’s why many songs end up unfinished on my machines.
My jams often end up only as youtube videos, which is kind of a release in a way

1 Like

90% of the stuff I make is preformed live and recorded as a stereo mix… but I do practice before I record so I wouldn’t just call it jamming.

2 Likes

Yes, but they are structured, usually after developing for a few days, I write out all the parts and come up with an idea for at least the beginning of the arrangement. Then I record it in one take, then after listeing back sometimes some level adjustment or slight eqing, rarely an overdub or an edit/chop.