DnB & NeuroBass

Hi guys!
I am wondering if I could get this type of sounds and other dnb compex sounds on the Digitone:

Or I would be better with a Modwave?
Or none… :))

It’s possible to get close but in my experience neurobass rests heavily on a ton of processing not available to the DN. Before computers were very powerful (and today for sound design purposes) the re-sample method was used to imprint effects and filter sweeps. Now that CPUs can run so many plugs it seems like modern producers just load up a disgusting amount of Vsts to achieve similar results.

All in all if you want (modern)neurobass I think it comes down to a sampler or a computer, IMHO of course. Edit: that’s not to say that you couldn’t get amazing results out of a DN, they just might not conform sonically or be as easy to achieve with the norm…

The closest I’ve come on a DN is about 2 min 5 sec in on this video. I’ve had several requests to do a tutorial (which hasn’t happened) but I think it gives a pretty good idea of the DN’s sonic character in relation to Reese possibilities…

16 Likes

I’m very interested in what that patch looks like!

1 Like

I moved recently so my DN is packed up but this was the response I gave to one of the video inquiries:

Okay, so I just had a look and the main takeaways are: Algo 1, Harmonics -6.97, Feedback around 44. Portamento on with the trimmer around 55, and unison set to 2 with minimal spread at 34. Delay and reverb p-locked to steps 9/13 when the slide/ripping notes occur. ***Now here’s the trick to really get growls and reeses on the DN: Level B on synth page 2 is also automated to turn up as well as being automated with a LFO. Playing around with levels A and B yield some pretty interesting results as you’re adjusting the intensity of FM that is happening. Filter cutoff is also receiving bpm synced modulation from an LFO. Good luck and I hope to make some tutorials soon…

6 Likes

Thanks. I’ll mess around with those settings tonight.

1 Like

Post results! Haven’t heard many users tearing reeses out of the DN…

1 Like

True, and I wonder why…

1 Like

Very cool patch!

1 Like

This is really good!

1 Like

Man, you da MVP

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! Ugh, I need to set my gear up. Just moved and it’s the last stuff in boxes…

Very very good… and clean dirt! :wink:

1 Like

Finally got around to trying this on the DT and I’m happy with the results/potential.

Edit: the hiss is because I just used my phone to record the speakers in the room…

8 Likes

That sounds fantastic

Thanks. That was without unison. Each level of it has its own different timbre. That’s not plockable, is it?

Wow, impressive, can you share the knowledge here?

Jacob’s technique for sure but also this as guidelines sans the resampling…so far anyways.

Oh, there’s also some Octatrack compression. And the warbley bit at the end is a second track/different patch.

3 Likes