DN and overbridge - multi track to DAW

Hi,

My first post, so I hope this is the right place.
Newbie with my DN (Digitone) and overbridge, running on Ableton live10 Windows PC.

I would like Ableton to sequence four tracks of DN. So each of the DN tracks receives its MIDI and outputs its audio on overbridge.
DN is not serving as the audio interface, I’m using an RME audio interface, so all audio runs via overbridge/USB into the DAW and from DAW to RME audio outputs.

Can this be managed? Whats the best way to set this up ?
I tried to open four MIDI tracks with four instances of Overbridge, but that didn’t work. With a single MIDI channel I can place ‘overbridge’ on it and receive the expected result, but just for one channel. Should it work like that?
Should I be able to open four instances of overbridge for a single DN device? Or is that not possible?

You create 4 midi tracks, put an external instrument device on each one. Then route each like this : In MIDI TO you select your Digitone vst and under you select the appropriate track, in AUDIO FROM you select the corresponding audio track.
digitonerouting

You can also do the same thing with separate audio and midi tracks.

1 Like

Make one midi track with the Overbridge plugin.

Then:

Here are the audio tracks that I have made for my Digitakt to achieve the same thing. Ignore the grouping I have done here called DT, just look at the individual tracks that follow. In each audio track, take the audio from the midi track featuring the Overbridge plugin, and route the audio to the master.

Thanks for the answer. But in ‘Audio in’ Ableton provides the list of available audio_channels that the RME interface provides, no audio channels from the DN are available.
Is your answer valid for ‘DN as the audio interface’ as well ‘DN NOT the audio interface’ ?

Appreciated !

Once you have created a midi track and dragged the Overbridge Digitone VST onto it, it should then show up as a source for audio. This is how the track looks in my Ableton template:

Doing this it shouldn’t matter whether it thinks the Elektron box is an audio interface or not. The audio is coming from a VST, not the device itself directly.

Have you tried grouping all those tracks with the track which contains the Digitone Plugin? That’s how I have it setup. And yes it does work without using the DN as an interface.

Here’s how I have it setup :

Track 1-4 have an external instrument device in each. This way I don’t have to use separate midi and audio tracks, which takes a lot of space in the daw.

Kyunghee - Thanks for your assistance.
I set it up as you mentioned and now its more or less working.

So now I have:
GROUP TRACK which receives all audio out from DN and sends it to MASTER_OUT.
An audio track with the DT VST plugin to control it all.
Two MIDI tracks with “ext. instr.” which send the MIDI.

However, all the audio (of both T1 and T2) appear on the GROUP TRACK only. So, for instance if I would like to EQ one of them and COMPRESS the other (with Ableton live audio effects) , its not really doable.

Is this correct?

In my setup, each of the four tracks are both midi and audio tracks, and you can process them separately. If you route the audio like I indicated it should be the same for you.
Something I didn’t mention is that you have unroute the 4 tracks from the main input, so that they only play as separate tracks and not inside the overbridge vst. (you go into the Digitone settings then audio routing, then you deselect the 4 tracks).

Guys - thank you very much. I found the trick you had brought forward here.

Many many thanks !