DJ´s Corner

I thought it would be appropriate to have a little thread for DJ specific topics here. No matter if you´re a DJ yourself or are interested in it, discussions about DJ gear and software, sharing your own or your favorite DJ mixes, share some stories you have experienced while DJing, your favorite DJ´s etc.

I started DJing around 1995 after begging my parents for years to get me a DJ set for my birthday but my main focus has always been scratching/turntablism so I never really got into all in one controllers but I certainly don´t mind them either.
But have been using DVS since around 2009 and always loved the options with loops and effects and not having to carry heavy crates to a gig. Even though I grew up listening to Hip Hop mostly I played various genres like Big Beats/Funky Breaks, Dubstep, Elektro, NuSkool Breaks, Deep House etc. because I always enjoyed long transitions a lot more than the quick cut ups that are predominant in Hip Hop. I quit playing in public a few years ago though because the audience really lost all appreciation for a DJ in my area. For the most part I could easily ignore it because usually I opened up for others and therefor could play anything I wanted instead of having to please the crowd but eventually it got more frustrating than being fun so it was the right thing to do.

Here´s one of my few mixes I actually recorded, opening up for a small Ghostly International label night here in town. There´s more on my mixcloud profile if you´re interested.

https://www.mixcloud.com/sonderskooler/pushin-buttons-live-mix-episode-3

Looking forward reading your stories and listening to your favorite mixes. DJing has certainly changed a lot over the years, from vinyl only to CD´s to DVS/Laptops to all in one controllers (meanwhile even with some stand alone options).

Somehow embedding the Mixcloud player doesn´t seem to work so here´s a link to the main profile. I was trying to link the “Pushin Buttons Live Mix Episode 3” mix.

https://www.mixcloud.com/sonderskooler

Apparently Mixcloud link don´t seem to work at all… so if you´re interested: mixcloud.com/sonderskooler

6 Likes

I started messing around on friends turntables shortly after going to my first rave. Controllers and software started coming out just as I was looking to get into things and I ended up going that route. While others were hauling crates of vinyl I was sometimes carrying a dekstop computer and a small monitor to gigs because I couldn’t afford a fancy laptop.

I got started when I was in a writing MFA so I didn’t have a ton of time for it–but I did end up with a lot of unusual gigs because of it. I did handful of “live painting” charity events, some pub nights where I just played hip hop and top 40 remixes, house parties etc.

After I graduated I got into making music and dropped DJing all together as I moved to a place with no scene I was ever able to find and I was teaching really early in the morning at one Uni and the latest classes they had at another, trying to get my teaching career going.

A few years later I started going to a small pagan oriented arts and music festival that my partner introduced me to. Like my 8th or 9th year partying one night with a mutual friend who is an art teacher, he decided he was going to build an art installation inside a set of large-ish tents. He asked me to DJ and we were a hit on the first year. We had three dance nights over a seven day festival where normally there are only rock/folk bands and then acoustic drumming for dancing. We did it a second year, I got paid (free entry for a week and free parking). Then the pandemic! So, the CDJs and the PA system are collecting dust in my studio currently…though I do like using my PA to jam out on whether its a drum machine/synth jam or the CDJs.

The festival is already canceled for 2021…but hoping to have either a solid set of my own tunes for 2022 or perhaps I’ll do a Live PA one night. Live PA is what we used to call a live hardware performance back in my rave days. Don’t know where the term came from.

For some reason this is the only picture I can find at the moment of our stage at the festival. Blowing up all those balloons while smoking some herb in the after is a memory I hope I won’t ever forget. You can’t tell but we wrote…obscene things all over the balloons LOL

2 Likes

Seems like there aren’t many DJ‘s around here :wink:

I restructured my DJ corner yesterday (along with a redesign of my entire studio) and made it a little smaller because the whole room was way too cluttered and didn’t feel very inspiring.

Went from a cornered setup (picture taken after a lot of stuff was already removed) with two seperated setups to a smaller integration of the two in a straight line. On the right the traditional setup and on the left the specialized setup for scratching purpose only.
The analog mixer on the left is the only battle style mixer Rodec ever made and to my taste it is still unmatched. Rodec quality EQ‘s and the faders still put newer ones to shame. The adjustable fader curve especially on the line faders is so damn smooth… The only downside is the external PSU which is kind of badly designed and wears down easily. Mine has loose contacts and every time I move it I have to find a position where the power works and then never touch it again. Thought about selling it some time ago since it’s a rare mixer but I‘m glad I didn’t.

4 Likes

Very nice! I probably have just enough space and gear to have a DJ corner of my own in my studio (I just broke my stuff down as the few gigs I play a year are postponed until 2022). I’ll have to take a weekend and figure out a way to make it all fit in the space I have.

That Rodec mixer sounds interesting.

I’d love to hear a mix from anyone who if they felt like posting one.

1 Like

I’ll take pictures of my setup one I clear all the junk off of it…

Way back in 2000 when I was a full on clubber / partime wannabe club night promotor/DJ) wasn’t everyone back then!) I had my decks in the kitchen because it was a good way to keep everyone out of the nice parts of the house. My dream was to have a new kitchen built around my decks. Took me 8 years to get there but when I did my clubbing days were behind me and 12 hour after hour mixing sessions were a distant memory. The thought of 10 wired DJs fighting for the crossfader in a nice shiny kitchen lost its sparkle somewhat.

I fire the 1210s up every now and again, usually when I’ve been drinking in the garden on a summer’s afternoon. I’m selling most of my music gear at the moment so the decks might be in favour again soon.

4 Likes

One thing I‘ll probably never forget during DJing is when I opened up for a friend’s quite popular event series. I started playing the very first track of the night and the doors just opened and this guy comes in alone, walks up straight to me and request one of those prime time bangers which let’s the entire crowd go bananas. :man_facepalming:t2:
Asked me two or three times before giving up and can’t remember seeing him again for the rest of the night.
I never liked requests and barely ever gave in since I never did mixed format events and only did gigs when I could play what I want. Very rarely that a request was on point but it also happened that people requested a track which was already loaded up to be played next.

@InTheAM Unfortunately embedding Mixcloud links doesn’t seem to work here, I tried to link some in my initial post but at the bottom there’s the link to my profile there if you’re interested.

1 Like

Surprisingly there seems to be a Rodec Scratchbox for sale over at Juno, haven’t seen one for sale in years, at least new. If I had the money I‘d buy it and sell my old one. The best crossfader for me so hats off to the engineers involved, smooth like butter and razor sharp cut in point. I tested it at a friend’s place and after 10 seconds I knew I want this mixer.

Waiting for a Headache sound omni. Had issues with installing a pnp2 fader to a roland 99. In the process sold a 1210 mk2. Kept another though ( just not fully mint ) In case omni isnt up to par. Mainly hoping fader is sharp because the deck will compliment my ios setup with all its controllers. Saying that. Hoping although might not be possible. Use omni with an iphone ( djplayer for cue points. Then output sound of omni to a zoom u44. then coaxial ( spdif ) to another zoom u44. So it will be in AUM. Hoping duplicating the input ( but every input apart from one at a time ) is on/not bypassed. This way the bypasses will be via midi keyboard/controller and the same midis be also midi to record on an auv3 loopers. Bypass right brings in sound and also presses record and bypass left takes away input and stops record. Also hoping the tonearm is like a 1210 where the headshell is removable for a concorde scratch. Otherwise Id need to buy another cart. A lot a hopes. Will post when it arrives.

So selling 1210s. Pretty much the ideal controller and pnp2. Pretty much the ideal fader. For an omni to save space and look dope and I guess if it does be digital. Be closer to ipads, controllers etc.

So apart from bragging ( excitment )

Does anyone think I can add a concorde scratch to omni tonearm? Iv seen a comment where a buyer would by a tonearm upgrade that has quick release for cartridges. Will obviously know when it arrives.

Also with the concorde scratch. Maybe Id buy just a concorde digital needle for the concorde scratch cart. Apart from being pink but with a red tip. Should I buy a digi needle to preserve a serato vinyl?

Enjoyed reading these and makes me realise how much I miss djing over the last year of the pandemic

I started djing in the late 90s mainly because of my love of hip hop and growing up watching scratch djs in videos alongside the mc. I got a set of cheap belt drive soundlabs and started badly mixing my small collection of hip hop, electro, funk, punk and techno records.

It became my everything and I also had a small sampler and drum machine I would try to integrate. Again badly but I was having fun.

Long story short I left my boring office job at 20 and spent the next 10 - 15 years djing 2-3 times a week and working in a record store being music obsessed. Ran my own nights but mainly djed for as a resident in some of my fav places in belfast. Got to dj on the bill with some of my fav artists such as de la soul, dj shadow, Dave Clarke, goldie, soulwax, scratch perverts and loads of others.

I was vinyl only for many years though started using cdjs and more recently rekordbox as all I need to bring is few usbs. I use serato dvs also and have used ableton out for few live sets. I still use vinyl out sometimes depending on the gig but can use whatever the venue has. At home it’s technics and serato dvs.

I do miss when life revolved around digging for records all week and jamming then playing at the weekend. I still have a residency playing few times a month in a cool venue that gets some good acts in. They let me play whatever I want and I’m there because they like what I play. I started to lose interest in djing few years back after playing too many venues with the wrong crowd for what I like to do and gave up for a few months until this new venue asked me to play. I can’t wait to get back after covid restrictions

Djing will always be a big part of me and performing and checking out other djs of course.

8 Likes

I used to work at a record store as well and have fond memories of the time when we would drive next town which had 4-5 good record stores and then go digging through all of them one after the other. Store owners got the „dollar signs“ in their eyes when we entered and after we were done we would go to one of us‘ home setup and record session playing the new records.

And the best party memories are from the time when we did small parties in a local youth center. Barely any people besides a few friends and the folks who hang out there regularly (mostly to play table football) but we could do whatever we want. Lots of good music and lots of laughter, good times!

2 Likes

One of the first nights I ran had a mix of djs and record collectors. I’d put on a local dj and few people who had good record collections but didn’t dj. Have someone who collected dub, someone with a big funk collection and then a drum n bass dj for example. Mix of music and styles each week in a small venue and free in. Was just a group of people playing music they loved with no pressure on mixing etc. We all got paid beer tokens from the venue so lots of drinking, dancing and hearing lots of great music.

6 Likes

My friends and I used to come back from the club at 4am on A Saturday morning, continue the night until the shops opened and then drive into town for fresh vinyl.

My limit was 8 each week and in the early 2000s vinyl was a plenty. It took us 12 months of regular visits before the store owner started slipping us the limited releases or promos. I miss those days where you had to put the work in to get the good stuff. Where you were proud that you owned a 200 pressing one sided vinyl that when yours peers heard it they knew exactly how hard it was to get. None of this play list recommendation, everyone playing the same tunes nonsense.

I had a thin out of my chosen music, hard House, a few years back. Surprisingly not many duds. But compare that to my venture into break beat when the hard House started to slow down, I’d say 80% of it was garbage, that’s what happens when you buy without love or knowledge.

4 Likes

We used to go on vinyl buying trips. Usually down to Dublin or over to Glasgow and Edinburgh. London was always an expensive trip when buying records

Had well over 10,000 and would fill removal van when moving house. Sold them in batches over last few years and only have around 600 left. Used the money to buy production gear and one batch I used for a trip to new York

6 Likes

Nice when there’s still demand and they command value. Some of the garbage I was offloading struggled to get 25p each. I used to run a record cleaning business and it cost me more to clean them and re-sleeve than I’d get back on the sale. I never went the whole digital route but I’m pleased I kept the hard house tunes that were basically what defined me at that time in terms of lifestyle. I still to this day love walking past my tower of vinyl, seeing a banged up sleeve and knowing exactly the tune, the artist, the label, where I first heard it, how it made me feel, the bpm, the track it most best mixed with… the list goes on.

2 Likes

I could have got a lot more if selling on discogs and selling them one at a time but couldn’t be bothered with how long that takes. Also I sold them to people I know who love vinyl so I know they are away to a good home and can be enjoyed again.

I’m same with the vinyl I’ve kept, they all have a story and link to a time and place. Can remember where and when I bought most of them

2 Likes

I moved quite a lot during a certain time period and every time I got more and more annoyed with dragging the records around so eventually I started selling a big chunk. Without Discogs I wouldn‘t have been able to buy quite a few things in my current studio setup.
I personally connect the memories to the song itself rather than the medium so I don‘t feel like that I‘m giving it all up when selling them. But I can definitely relate since every record has its‘ story and that has always been one of the most attractive aspects of record digging.

1 Like

I love DJing!

I’ve never owned more than 1000 records, nor DJd publicly more than once a month, so I’m pretty low-key. I ran a night playing breakbeat and d&b for a few months in 2003. So long ago…

I’m playing mp3s more than vinyl, using Serato and a controller that’s beyond my skill level. I’m doing small parties for friends or in London’s Burning Man scene. I play a mix of d&b, techno, electro, funk and downbeat, spread thinly across the years and BPMs, because I never collected any one genre or period to go deep into any of them. I like variety, and trying to create a coherent mood out of disparate sounds. I enjoy playing to a theme. I’m getting into higher energy mix styles, borrowing a bit from hip hop turntablism, Jeff Mills, Derek May and so on, rather than smooth, transparent mixing. I have plenty to learn in this area though.

4 Likes

I started DJing in 1997.
My sister who was in college, was a radio DJ at the time and I looked up to her a lot. She had a very wide range and great taste in music. I learned the mechanics of rotational speed = tempo by manually rotating a warped Dead Milkmen record on a broken belt drive turntable, hooked up to a RadioShack Realistic brand DJ mixer (those faders had so much friction!)

I asked my mom for some cheap but functional turntables for my next birthday. She bought me a pair of GLI belt drives.
For the next few months I figured out how to beatmatch, and then played an opening set at a rave my friend and I threw in Bloomington, IN.
It was there, on Technics SL-1200 MK2s, that I leaned my GLIs had the pitch faders inverted! I had been learning how to pitch records fast and slow basically “backwards”. So, at 16 years old I trainwrecked my first ever set out in public, to the 6 people there at 9PM.

So, the next day I opened up those GLI belt drives and rigged the pitch faders the opposite way. And then just started buying records for the next few years. I bought records locally at Univibe in Indianapolis and also over the phone from Temple Records in NYC. Eventually bought some 1200s and a nice wide MTX19” rack mixer that had 3 channel faders with no gains and a 5 band master EQ. Made many mixtapes on that beast.

Started using Final Scratch 1.0 when it was on Linux, around 2002. Stuck with that until Serato Scratch Live in 2005. Later on, at the club I was managing, we had a TTM-57SL MK1. Loved that mixer.

And then I had the NI Audio4DJ around 2010. Used that with both turntables and CDJs until getting a Pioneer DDJ-1000 in 2019, which I don’t use enough and should definitely use more!

10 Likes