DIY audio upgrade to OT

so he would pay for the broken machine ?

1 Like

Itā€™s one dual op-amp per pair of inputs and outputs, right? If so, OPA1644 prices on Mouser right now would make it about $15 for all four for a commercial operation buying quantity, or about $21 for someone who just bought enough to do the mod. For someone with good tools and rework skill itā€™d probably take 20-30 minutes tops but itā€™s also risky so a high bench fee seems fair.

1 Like

Yeah, the Digi sound is unfortunately a class higher than the octatrack. When I put the sound into octa it sounds like decreased mp3 quality

This again! Stop. Extra flattering eq for Digitakt. It doesnā€™t make it higher class! And itā€™s mono.

You probably donā€™t know how to use OT correctly. It has been proven many times that OT is very flat, without noticeable loss.

4 Likes

That was a simple A/B Test. Sound directly from OT and from sample editor in OSX. What could go wrong? My A/D/D/A ? Apogee Rosetta i think its quality is quite good.

Please read this :

2 Likes

so this mod seems to be around for a while, any new conclusions if its worth it?

hooking into the i2s signals from the dsp to the dac should be possible with pogo cables on the cirrus dac. from there ifeed them i2s signal into adat converter chipsā€¦ might give it a try soonā€¦so then audio out will be digital with no conversion lost at all.

2 Likes

Iā€™m interested in this mod (upgrading conversion at all I/Os or digital out).

Where can I find more info? Is there a clear BOM and guide somewhere? (Stream is not longer linked)

Iā€™m surprised anyone would want to make the OT master clock for your entire audio setup. I was under the impression that the clock source was what determines ā€œjitterā€ and that sort of thing and thatā€™s why ā€œgoodā€ audio interfaces cost so much?

Actually when things are self clocked usually there are 0 issues, the good clocks are not only great reference sources but also amazing at locking to external less accurate clocks without errors. I wouldnā€™t know how the OT fairs with this, but I can say Iā€™ve used old yamaha receivers, minidisc players etc over spdif on high end interfaces and they all lock as slave to these older devices effortlessly. Alot of the ā€œclockingā€ issues people experience are from user error and daisy chaining stuff.

Also, clock from a computer is generalyl the least stable. It improves a bit as computers get faster, but itā€™s still baked in to the way USB works.

The Octatrackā€™s clock is about as stable as possible with MIDI so it makes a pretty good master clock, but on top of that itā€™s uniquely picky about external clock, and Iā€™ve personally had issues even when the clock source was MORE stable than the OTā€™s internal clock. Mostly with pcikup machines (the usual ā€œoverdub abortedā€ error), but it also causes clicks with any looping audio that doesnā€™t use time stretch (Iā€™ve had a few issues with timestretch on, too, but I usually keep it off so I donā€™t know how common those are).

Even when Iā€™m not using the OT as the master clock for my setup I donā€™t sync it to external clock - in that case, Iā€™ll send transport and tempo change messages from another sequencer to keep it in time with the master clock - itā€™s a bit more cumbersome but works better.

This is still the best techincal explanation of the problem with USB, I think:

The Octatrack is a special case, though, because itā€™s really just too sensitive to work well with external clock - it wants sample accurate timing and MIDI canā€™t do that.

do you still have the files? they are no longer online :slight_smile:

Heyā€¦ sorry, I couldnā€™t find the samples on my disk. After three years, I can say modding the OT is not worth it. If you want pure digital outputs, I would suggest going another route, perhaps a Digitakt?