DIY audio upgrade to OT

yes, but I guess the OT outputs are unbalanced, right?

no, OT outputs are balanced??

Yes, OT outs are balanced.
As any Elektron.

And AFAIK using balanced cables gives a few extra decibels of output? This is what I always thought, and is why I always use balanced interconnections whenever possible.to improve the SNR, as with short cables the interference immunity of balanced interconnects is not usually that important.

My buddy and I are gonna do the mod in the next few weeks and film it. Weā€™ll upload when itā€™s done.

3 Likes

The OT outputs are ā€œimpedance balancedā€ which is different than fully balanced and I donā€™t believe gets you the extra 6db when using balanced cables, I think itā€™s the same levelā€¦ I havenā€™t tested though so someone please correct me if Iā€™m wrongā€¦

1 Like
1 Like

No mention of ā€œimpedance balancedā€ in that oneā€¦
More a question of impedance balanced vs regular balancedā€¦
I already browsed a few other articles which lead me to believe impedance balanced do not get you the extra 6dbā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t think it does either.
I mean 6db is a lot.

before doing the mod I was comparing a loop recorded from the octatrack with its original file and I realised the difference is not so big.

here you can download both files if you want to compare them:
http://www.filedropper.com/octatrackqualitytest

what do you think? do I have hearing problems?

actually I notice just a little difference on the transients being the original file a mini small tiny more dynamic

I think where I hear an improvement most is on the input/sampling side. Was that just a recording of the outputs using the same loop? Was the loop transferred to the OT or recorded directly to the OT?

Canā€™t access the files? Will try again laterā€¦

Thanks for doing this btw!

so impedance balanced gives the noise cancellation benefits at least. But as for the level increase?

btw is this the same tech as used in those numerous BAL/UNBAL connectors on various gear (like on mackie inputs etc)?

it was digitally transferred (not resampled) to the OT.
@tsutek hm, I just downloaded the file without problems

My IT security claims it wont allow me to access that site. Itā€™s cool, Iā€™ll check these later. Interested in hearing peoplesā€™ thoughts

1 Like

hearing the samples again and again (comparing them with a select switch in Reason) I actually notice the original file sounds a little more precise in a certain way. Itā€™s like the instruments are a just little more defined and the transient in the kick sounds a tad more brighter.

I really donā€™t know if itā€™s worth the op-amp modification though :S

perhaps I should spend more time doing music than comparing loops

2 Likes

Iā€™m listening with earbuds atm, so will recheck with montors etc. There is a slight diff between the two.

Which is which? original is the raw sample and octa is thru the modded output stage?

yes, the original is the raw sample and the ā€œoctatrackā€ is without modification

without modification?

yesā€¦ it is the comparison with the original op-amps just to know how much room for an improvement we have

1 Like