Direct Jump Bug

Wow, had the Rytm for a few weeks now only to stumble on this annoying bug…

In my case it only happens in Direct Jump mode and the first time a pattern change is issued. Can also confirm that the scene length needs to be set to INF.

It is upsetting that this doesn’t have a fix yet, but for the time being I resorted to using long length (1024) instead of INF.

i have just started to get this bug over the past 2 days. the sync is now ruined every so often when i use direct jump (rytm being slaved).

Thinking of getting an AR but this bug worries me. Im happy to set length at 1024 though, does this cure the problem? Thanks

@ Elektron HQ

Could we please have an update on this?

As it is a pretty major bug that reduces the ability to use this machine live. Appreciate that this has all been said before; however, to my knowledge, a time scale with regards to this being fixed hasn’t been announced?

Surely it has to be fixed at some stage?

Would really, really appreciate a bit of focus on the Rytm’s OS’s known bugs - as I’m getting closer and closer to a long planned live set with Elektron machines and if this bug isn’t going to be fixed, or will take a lot longer, then I need to plan accordingly and probably sell the Rytm. As much as I don’t want to, I can’t afford to take the risk with it in a live situation.

I too, as others have stated, have done all detailed as suggestions to mitigate the behaviour (such as setting length to 1024) but it still happens. Not as regularly but with it happening at all, it’s not workable for me personally to rely on.

You’re wasting your time here, I’ve been on this since the AR came out, and we’re still at the exact same point. The tone of the answers I’ve been getting from Elektron suggests that they are in fact more interested in OB than in fixing their hardware. Maybe it will come, but I’ve definitely given up on a fix for this.

You know if you told someone outside “E” speak about Direct Jump Bug

They would probably think of:

But here we are, a million miles from what that little spider can do. :dizzy_face:

Yes. This.

On the AR and A4, the advanced scale modes aren’t working as they should be, and you always lose sync. Direct jump isn’t working, either. I know there’s a lot of noise, and people shouting about this and that feature, but these are something that really cripple the sequencers.

I can use the Octatrack sequencer fully, as it’s the master and haven’t found any problems with it, but the A4 and AR are a mess when you’d want to create individual scale lengths for tracks.

Not really a fair comparison, as the Octatrack doesn’t have direct jump or direct start options as features.

Why must I peel this orange? With an apple I can just eat the skin.

Heh, you’re right :slight_smile: just wanted to point out that I’d love it if all the sequencers reached that end state - working.

I would appreciate if you all could take some time to write down exactly how you use the Direct Jump feature – What is your intended use of it? And in what way it does not work – Explain the bug or issue.

Please be as thorough in your explanation as possible, mention all factors like external MIDI sync, pattern length, etc.

Also, please use our support system.
This information would be very helpful for us.

Thanks! :+1:

Whaaaat? The feature should work as stated and not introduce any offsets to the pattern…

Glad to see to everyone still nipping at Elektron’s heels. This bug needs to be squashed, ASAP.

Seriously, Elektron, it’s been over a year. What gives?

Oh. Right: Overbridge. :zonked:

Right. But, they need your use cases/details so that they can troubleshoot and fix the issue. The more info you give them, the faster and better bug fix you will get. Software development is hard. Please help.

Will do!
Thank you!

I have issued 3 tickets about this issue, all have been answered with “we might sort it after OB is finished”.
Ollie has publicly acknowledged the bug on this very forum.
It is very well documented, easily replicated, and frankly, completely unacceptable.
I find Elektron’s way of stalling on this issue very disturbing. There is a problem. It’s easy to identify. Fix it !
I will not fill up another ticket, I always get the same response and nothing gets resolved. Now that Overbridge is out of beta, what is the expected timeline for fixing this bug ??

I have issued 3 tickets about this issue, all have been answered with “we might sort it after OB is finished”.
It is very well documented, easily replicated, and frankly, completely unacceptable.
I find Elektron’s way of stalling on this issue very disturbing. There is a problem. It’s easy to identify. Fix it !
I will not fill up another ticket, I always get the same response and nothing gets resolved. Now that Overbridge is out of beta, what is the expected timeline for fixing this bug ??[/quote]
Hi,

I searched our support system very thoroughly and only found one ticket that actually explained the bug in detail and gave us a good user case.

Since I asked openly for you all to write us in detail how you are using it and what exactly is the issue I have gotten only one support case about it, which on a good note actually helped us out quite a bit!

This issue is not at all well documented. Posting on Elektronauts is not a valid way to report a bug.

I hope that we can fix this bug soon, but it’s definitely not an easy fix. I’m sorry that this has taken way too long.

I will not fill up another ticket, I always get the same response and nothing gets resolved. Now that Overbridge is out of beta, what is the expected timeline for fixing this bug ??[/quote]
Hi,

I searched our support system very thoroughly and only found one ticket that actually explained the bug in detail and gave us a good user case.

Since I asked openly for you all to write us in detail how you are using it and what exactly is the issue I have gotten only one support case about it, which on a good note actually helped us out quite a bit!

This issue is not at all well documented. Posting on Elektronauts is not a valid way to report a bug.

I hope that we can fix this bug soon, but it’s definitely not an easy fix. I’m sorry that this has taken way too long.[/quote]
I’ve filled a ticket in too, but sounds as if the quicker more of us do it, and detail how to recreate the bug; the quicker we’ll see a fix!
Let’s get on it guys, whoever has a moment, as it would be so good to get this bug fixed!

Hi,

I hope that we can fix this bug soon, but it’s definitely not an easy fix. I’m sorry that this has taken way too long.[/quote]
3rd ticket is posted.
my first ticket was submitted on august 20th, 2014 (a year ago ?!)
my second ticket was submitted on feb 20th, 2015.
i know one of my students also submitted at least one ticket on this issue as well.
This is Ollie’s confirmation that he knows the bug, and is able to recreate it:
Hi Stephane,

I have with your project files been able to recreate this issue. I have informed the developers and they are looking in to this right now.

Thanks for your help and hopefully this issue will be solved soon.

Regards,
Olle

On my second ticket, I was assured that the issue would be looked into, eventually, but that resources were currently allocated to Overbridge. I was also told that this bug was a conceptual issue, not a bug (?!)
so, instead of going around in circles, how about we move forward and fix this issue ?

‘Unacceptable’ … ‘mind-boggling’ … ‘disturbing’ … Things aren’t going to happen just because you keep having a tizzy (about an evidently difficult issue which has a fair workaround whilst they’re busy) ! How about just accepting that for now there are people still on beta versions of an already late Overbridge (i bet they’re working on that, just a hunch) and they may have many business plans which don’t become our business to derail; OT owners etc.
It’s irrelevant whether anybody gives a toss about OB, I’m not so fussed, but I’m not naive enough to imagine that they’ll stop that (whilst very late) & start fixing things I’ve earmarked as mission-critical when I become tired waiting. The melodrama is a bit tedious and as explained a few times, it’s totally futile here - Take it up with support, focus your energy on trying to pinpoint the killer nugget of info that’ll help them crack it - think it through, help yourself, help everyone else. Entitled moaning here is a chore to browse for those who try to contribute to a solutions based supportive forum etc; get some perspective - pickup machines e.g. have been flaky for a lot longer than this one btw, everyone’s got a different issue/want… a year is not that long for an issue to be unresolved, unfortunately, for all of us … actually, getting a response at all (& fbk here) is a bit of a win, look on the bright side & join the queue. peace

The issue here is that there is a mixup of a few different issues and also some user errors. Because this bug you have reported and reported very well is not the same as an issue that makes the pattern cue, instead of change directly. Or if you change to a pattern with a shorter length than the pattern/beat synced to.

What we ask for is that when you say you have the Direct Jump Bug, please also specify what you are experiencing because we are not all talking about the same issue here. When you report we need to know about your setup and settings. A sysex dump of the project attached to the case like you did works great, and together with a reported behaviour, as well a expected behaviour, this gives us more material for faultfinding and an insight in how people are using the machine.

This is a tricky one, and direct jump with external sync, external sequencers, MIDI clock jitter, individual track length, clock divisions, reset counters and reaction times from key pressing all working together can be confusing. Your information was very good, but except for one or two more good reports there are mostly user errors and confusion about the above co-working systems.

If those of you who are experience the “Direct Jump Bug” contact support explaining the issue and you will get to know if there is something wrong or if there is a misunderstanding in how the machine shall behave.

I’m very sorry that it has taken so long to address this issue and I have nothing against you Secret Music. You are a good musician, advanced user and shares a lot of knowledge and resources with the community. But please be patient.

//Olle

1 Like