Direct Jump Bug

Lots of love given to direct jump in the latest OS.

Anyone tried it out yet ?

Won’t be able to try myself for a few days

I did, and while it is less occurring, it’s not eradicated. Still getting it with some patterns set to inf.

Think it’s doable with button mashing pattern changes. Could be useful to shift the whole pattern a step back for some cool breakdowns. It seems it won’t budge with a moderate approach (pressing pattern change once per pattern or thereabouts)

I have just been playing around with it with three patterns at 51/64 (don’t ask), polyrythmic tracks set to infinite…seems fine to me.

Whole mess of fun.

“Hey guys, this tune is in 51.”
“A-one, A-two, A-one, two, three…fifty, fifty one HIT IT!”

“Hey guys, this tune is in 51.”
“A-one, A-two, A-one, two, three…fifty, fifty one HIT IT!”[/quote]

1-2-3.1875, 1-2-3.1875…

As a matter of fact, I’m still getting a lot of skipped steps. . Seems to be related to the timing of the pattern selection, the nearer I am to the end of the pattern, more likely to skip a beat… possibly related to patterns with different lengths, will explore further

when I had problems it would usually be around step 14 – if I selected the next pattern just ever so slightly before or on step 14, it would induce the skip error. I could not always replicate it because the change was always selected based on my own personal “feel” of when to do it. this was on 16 and 64 step programs even. the update seems to have squashed that bug, but I have not tried in patterns set to other LEN values.

I think it now stumbles when the two patterns differ in length (16 and 32 ie)
And yes, when changing near the end of the pattern.

Right. Mine was “stumbling” switching between…er…51 and 12. The 12 would start from the beginning…not sure i would call that stumbling as i don’t know if i should expect the box to calculate the equivalent step in a lower denominator (sorry if the terms are wrong). It’s a smart box…but that’s a lot to ask, in my opinion.

I got a new Analog Rytm MK2 and I have exactly this problem in Patterns where the Master Scale is different, like 1x and 1/2x. Switching (Direct Jump) between patterns with same time signature works fine but if I switch to a pattern with another time signature, then an extra trig is inserted and the AR goes out of sync. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

More than 2 years later the Overbridge saga continues to be a massive waste of time and resources… I guess someone high up in Elektron’s chain of command is really fixated on this ill-conceived software.

It’s 2022 and I’m a new owner of an AR and am absolutely heartbroken and pissed to have discovered this just now. Yeah, works as expected when everything is the same scale but once you are working with different scales it falls apart. This is basic math. Will be submitting a ticket.

This breaks my heart. Direct jump is so desirable to me. Is it broken like this on other Elektron devices that have the feature? What else even has it?

Yeah I’m with you. Direct Jump is one of the most amazing things a sequencer can have. It enables so many things in a live performance. For example it makes fill mode pretty much redundant, just add your “fills” to another pattern and jump to and fro, and that’s just the beginning. To be clear the issue here is that direct jump doesn’t respect scales other than 1x; if you aren’t using different scales it’s fine, but that’s ridiculous. There’s always a ton of issues I have with Elektron (bugs) and features I wish were included but besides the bugs, I usually try to refrain from complaining because I knew what I was getting into before I made a purchase. This time however is the first time I feel genuinely robbed (especially at this price point)

And only the AR and A4 have Direct Jump AFAIK.