Digitone with MIDI - Keyboard

Hi,

is it possible with this MIDI - Keayboard: Arturia MicroLab Black – Musikhaus Thomann e.g. Playing digitone without overbridge and if so, which cable is needed for this, would be super cool if someone could post the cable, because I can’t find anything about it on the internet or I’m too stupid! The keyboard doesn’t have a conventional MIDI connection …
greetings, rob

The MicroLab and the Digitone are both USB devices and therefore both need to be connected to a USB Host (like a computer). There is no simple cable cable to connect them.

1 Like

oh, well, the whole thing can only happen on the computer. I thought that could work because the Digitone also has MIDI connections …

If you haven’t bought the keyboard yet, there are alternative small keyboards that will connect directly, like Novation Launchkey mini Mk3 (the smallest I think).

3 Likes

Well, if the USB Host has MIDI ports, then the Digitone could be connected to the Host using MIDI cables.

2 Likes

ah, i understand, because this keyboard has a midi out socket … a shame, it has already been ordered, but no broken leg either.

If it’s not too late you could cancel the order and get an Arturia Keystep instead - that has midi connections so you could connect it directly to the Digitone

1 Like

I went also the Arturia keystep way. It is very versatile in with what you can connect it. It also can be sync’ed with the elektron machines, so you can use the arpegiator and the sequences. Before getting it I got the Novation Launchkey mini Mk3, but it does not come with the cable and is not so versatile if you want to use it DAWless.

1 Like

The Novation Launchkey Mini MK3 would be an excellent choice for your purposes.

1 Like

I am trying to use the Launchkey mini MK3 with a Digitone with no success.
My final goal is to plug it to an OT with the OT plugged to the MIDI In of the DN.

I thought it worked once but not anymore (or failing memory :sweat_smile:) so i monitored the keyboard and it sends data on Channel 10 as supposed. So i plugged it directly to the DN (which has auto channel on 10) but it doesn’t work.
It only works when i set the keyboard to the track’s channels but not with the auto channel.
Am I missing something?

PS: I dunno if it is the standard behaviour but if i double click on a track to change its sound, the new sound only changes when playing withthe DN trig keys. I need to select it as a new sound pressing yes to trigger it with the keyboard set on the track’s channel.

You could also invest in a midi host box for about $100.

Just to play a synth from an external keyboard?

Shouldn’t be necessary in this case, @Blasted_pingin is almost there: