Digitone vs A4... which one to buy?

Both are great. I think the DN has a broader range of sounds though.

1 Like

I think the main question needs to be ā€“ what kind of synth you want to work with?
And what you want to do with your synth?

Iā€™ve bought the A4 - because I like to have that old-school raw analog sounds for my live setup. And its a good tool if you need to work with CV (for a modular system).

2 Likes

The answer is surely both, no?

Love the A4 MK2. I wish Elektron guys had an update on the horizon for similar nasty Lo-Fi, degrade, muddy tape FX like the OT-2 does. I was just getting into those great FX before I needed to sell the OTā€¦ I guess with the A4 being Analog there are ways to get that outside of it being an effect :wink:

Just reviving this thread again! Iā€™m teetering on the brink of buying a new Elektron box as a standalone groovebox to make music without the computer. Iā€™m well-versed in the Elektron workflow (trigs, sound and parameter locks, multiple sounds on one track for drums etc) and I donā€™t want to go sample-based because I get sick of trying to ā€œcurateā€ samples on the computer first before I can start making anything.

What I really want is some opinions about the sound design process. I previously owned and returned a DN quickly a coupel of years ago because the FM scared me off. I thought it sounded great and clearly very versatile but I still find FM quite impenetrable and itā€™s more of a ā€œexperiment and see what happensā€ process compared to the analogue/subtractive engine that Iā€™d get with the A4. I appreciate that they have different sound character but both are clearly capable of making one-box music whether it be drones or some not-too-complex techno etc.

Have DN users found that it gets easier to understand the engine and get subtractive-style sounds as well as more traditional glassy FM sounds etc? Iā€™m watching a lot of videos to try to get a feel for things and the A4 looks very easy to get going and Iā€™m sure Iā€™d feel comfy with a subtractive synthesis method based on experience with soft synths.

When Iā€™ve watched some of the sound design videos for the DN it looks like the users are basically ā€œwandering aroundā€ with the various parameters and hoping to end up somewhere they like, rather than understanding exactly how to program the sound they want. Iā€™m not criticizing either approach and I understand that there is a lot of enjoyment to be had with FM by not knowing where you are going to end up but rather by enjoying the journey!

I think I can make one-box music with either device. Iā€™m very conflicted! And no, Iā€™m not going to buy both!

1 Like

What initially drew me to the DN was the fact that it has more voices. I had initially written it off because I wasnā€™t sure I wanted to get into FM, but Iā€™m really enjoying it. I think with subtractive synthesis, itā€™s definitely easier to previsualize and then create a sound, but I find that the DNā€™s implementation of FM does make it relatively easy to tame. Iā€™d still like to try out an A4 at some point, but I havenā€™t done so, yet. I would think as a stand-alone, the extra voices might be nice to have.

I owned a DN for over a year and while Iā€™m no expert I was pretty proficient in it.
And even I started to grasp the operator levels and such I still felt like it was always one inch away from mayhem (in a bad way).

In the end it always felt like I always ended up doing the same patches even though I was going about them differently each time.
Probably due to me not being proficient enough in the device.

I own an A4 since about a week and itā€™s a great sounding synth, I really like it a lot. It is really deep compared to the DN imo.

At first I though DN would be a greater choice due to polyphony, but Iā€™ve learnt during the years that you donā€™t need big chords to provide emotive soundscapes.

Iā€™ve found with a4, that I take two tracks with different Arps and then one track which I allocate two voices to for pads, and that really fills out the sonic spectrum. So I donā€™t think you should worry about polyphony to much.

As I also have a small euro system Iā€™ve found that the A4 is a great companion in that regard as well.

1 Like

FM synthesis is not complicated. Granted, substractive synthesis is even easier. But the DN can also be a substractive synth anyway. Read a bit of theory and youā€™re good to go. In the end, they both have a very different sonic palette, and you should really pick one based on that.

2 Likes

I had the A4 for a few years and I still have the DN. Iā€™m pretty sure the DN is my favorite hardware synth at the moment. I still donā€™t totally understand FM (I use other more traditional FM synths on my iPad and computer) but the DN is easy to get along with once you give it some time. In fact, itā€™s the synth Iā€™ve created the most presets for - itā€™s a great tool for sound design of all types.

With the parameters, the kind of ā€œwandering aroundā€ you may be seeing is more artistic than confused. What I mean is that the ā€œscienceā€ behind subtractive synths makes more sense and is easier to picture - when you think of a filter on a saw wave, you can visually picture the wave getting more rounded and smoother. FM, however, is confusing as hell - how the fudge do these two sine waves make this gnarly ass sound? What the hell does that waveform even look like?! However, once you play with FM in the way the Digitone has it setup, you begin to know how turning a particular knob will effect your sound based on all their other settings, you just wonā€™t know why. Does that make sense?

The A4 was probably my least favorite Elektron box out of all the ones Iā€™ve had - OT, MM, MD, DT, DN. While itā€™s cool, I found getting good sounds out of it were not always easy or enjoyable, and the 4 voices made it to limited or useful for many situations. Thatā€™s not to say itā€™s a bad synth, it just didnā€™t really do it for me. I also have a Virus C, which handles most of the things I could have used the A4 for, but better.

Hope that helps!

It took me some time to appreciate it.
More than the other Elektron synths, indeed.
But itā€™s a very rewarding synth if you focus on it and donā€™t want it to do what it doesnā€™t.

This last track Iā€™ve done is almost only A4 mk2.

Iā€™ve found lately that if I had to keep one between A4, MM, Peak and OB-6, Iā€™d keep the A4.

So, if youā€™re not into FM yet, this is a good choice IMOā€¦

2 Likes

Nice! I had the A4 for about 3 years or so and did use it a bit on our last album, so itā€™s not like I didnā€™t get anything good out of it. I just didnā€™t get enough usable stuff to warrant keeping it.

Thanks for all the input, some really helpful perspectives here. One things I find interesting is that I have been ā€œawareā€ of Elektron since about 2017 and Iā€™ve spent a lot of time on Youtube and on these forums etc and anecdotally it seems hard to find anyone with a bad word to say about the Digitone. It seems to be many peopleā€™s favourite hardware synth of all time and there are LOTS of users on Youtube etc who are making whole tracks or even whole sets (30-60 mins long) with just a Digitone. For all my concerns and usual reservations about buying gear (software is cheap, hardware is expensive) it seems that this is a real ā€œdesert islandā€ device for many people and Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a good reason for that.

Oh, and itā€™s Ā£450 cheaper than the A4!!

Coming from years of using full featured FM synths I would say that the DN is a great first step into FM synthesis, because itā€™s thought out very well and its concept makes it possible that no FM specific knowledge or experience is needed, to create useful sounds out of the box. But it would be well invested time to get some FM knowledge at the end of the day :wink:

At first I was a little sceptical about the DN and its limitations, because I compared it to typical FM synths. But the DN has some tricks up its sleevels, which I would never had even tried on a conventional FM synth. I love this machine and itā€™s a keeper.

As for analogue sounds ā€¦ donā€™t expect too much of the typical bread and butter analogue or VA world. Itā€™s a FM synth after all. FM is not only ā€œglassyā€. It can do so much more. It can be full, deep and rich, it can be crispy and harsh, it can be metallic or woody, hollow and nasal, but it will never sound like a Moog, Oberheim, ARP, Sequential, Roland etc. VCO going through a VCF.

2 Likes

I certainly didnā€™t mean ā€œglassyā€ as an insult and really itā€™s just a shorthand that Iā€™ve fallen back on to describe FM sounds that weā€™re all familiar with. Itā€™s good to get reinforcement that itā€™s capable of so much more. I watched a few more videos since yesterday (including some ones Iā€™ve seen before) and it clearly has a very wide sound palette if you take the time. Jeremy RMR has a video I just watched 5 mins ago about one of his own sound packs which is very inspiring and I watched some more ā€œone-box digitone technoā€ videos yesterday that are very impressive that arenā€™t ā€œglassyā€ at all!!

I have one other quick question for all you good people - am I right in thinking that I can feed another device into the inputs of the DN and essentially have it act as a simple mixer and possibly even use the FX on that input? Iā€™m talking (right now at least) about an MS. To be more specific, can feed the MS into the DN inputs and then sync the two devices so I can play them together and hear both through the DN outputs or via USB audio or overbridge? I think Iā€™d forgotten about the inputs altogether but I saw something on youtube that made me curious. It wouldnā€™t be critical if the answer is no, it would just be a nice bonus.

edit - I wouldnā€™t know Moog, Oberheim, ARP, Sequential, Roland sounds in a blind test anyway so I doubt it matters!

Haha ā€¦ :smiley: maybe, but if we were in my studio together you would definitely tell apart the sound of a real analogue subtractive synthesis from a subtractive synthesis of the DN.

Just as a clue ā€¦ there are a couple of VA synths, which in my ears sound convincing ā€œanalogueā€. AFAIK this is possible, because the emulation software tries to emulate the natural fluctuations of real analogue circuits successfully. This said, even those tiny fluctuations would kill a FM synthesis and make sound design quite unpredictable. Typical FM oscillators should be very stable and keep frequency and amplitude fixed, which is not very hard, because they are maths and software. But that wouldnā€™t be a great foundation for creating natural analogue sounds as close as possible. We can do something on the DN by creating fluctuations with modulation, but this is not exactly the same behaviour, which is going on in a natural sounding VA or an analogue circuit.

1 Like

Once you had those Synths, its easy to recognize them. :yum:

1 Like

The answer to your mixer question is yes.

(You could even plug in 2 mono instruments and pan them centre, as long as you want the same FX on both)

4 Likes

I guess the key thing here, regarding the sound palette and analogue vs digital etc, is that if youā€™re more interested in making music than trying to slavishly copy the sound of some other device then it doesnā€™t matter so much. Iā€™ve seen discussions going on for years on KVR about which VA software synth is more accurate and it sends me to sleep. To put it more politely, youā€™ll probably be happier if you accept something for what it is. Iā€™m not a professional musician or producer, Iā€™m just a hobbyist who wants to enjoy noodling with electronic music away from my computer screen and Iā€™m sure most of us would agree that for that purpose, the DN (among many other great groovebox products on the market) can go a LONG way.

Regarding the input/mixer thing - thatā€™s great news and one more way to have fun.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree.

I wanted only to point out, there are differences, which we canā€™t change. I love my DN and my analogue synths for what they are. They complement each other.

1 Like

Used as a standalone box, I have more fun with the A4 than the DN. That is less to do with synthesis and more that the A4 has the mini keyboard buttons as well as the 16 step buttons. I find it so much easier to play and tweak melodies on it than with the DN. Also far prefer the A4 for drum sounds.

I often contemplate upgrading my DN to the Keysā€¦

2 Likes