Digitone->TR-6S out of synch (Problem? bug?)

Hi Friends

I’m using the MIDI program change channel to switch automatically the patterns on a Roland TR-6S, when changing the pattern on the Digitone.

The 16 first patterns of the TR-6S switch all right, in mirror response to the changes of patterns on the Digitone.
But… the TR-6S becomes out of synchronization!

It seems the pattern change happens a bit too early on the TR-6S, perhaps a tiny little bit before the end of the pattern (I may be wrong, it’s hard to detect the out of sync instant with precision).
What is sure is that, after the first pattern change, the sync becomes a mess.

Anyone is aware of this problem? Did I miss something?
Thanks in advance for your answers :slight_smile:

(Other question: is there a way to change, in the same way, not the pattern but the VARIATION on the TR-6S, when changing a Digitone’s pattern?)

This is a bug. Have a look in the dedicated TR-8S thread here in Elektronauts. It was introduced after 2.0. 2.0 being the last firmware that it worked correctly. Submit a ticket with Roland. The more people that do then the more likely Roland is to address it.

Variations cannot be changed over MIDI.

2 Likes

You’re right, I just found this thread about the same issue with the Syntakt.

TR6S needs the program changes to arrive on beat. Its kind of a strange decision to not allow cueing of the next pattern when slaved, it cues it when selecting patterns manually. Its also strange that this behaviour has always been like this on TR6S, I think it wasn’t even released when TR8S V2.0 was current. Makes me wonder if Roland actually intended for it to be like this.

1 Like