Digitone & Syntakt or more elaborate Elektron device?

Greetings, all!

I have a Digitone and used to have a Syntakt. I enjoyed the Syntakt, but one of the reasons I abandoned it was the lack of polyphony. I’m considering getting another Syntakt to pair with the Digitone, but am curious about opinions on maybe getting one of the higher end Elektron machines instead such as Rytm, Octatrack etc. I realize from perusing these forums that a steeper learning curve is likely involved, but I don’t have any experience with the more elaborate machines and would greatly appreciate any advice and direction.

You should figure out what you need it to do and work from there. A sampler (or performance sampler) will have a totally different workflow from a synth or a drum machine synth. It’s a given that there will be some similarities in the end results, but the workflow and focus of the machines will be totally different from one another.

Syntakt is obviously a synth and though it’s a mono synth, it has a streamlined workflow and can be used as a drum machine or “groovebox” if the term is more appropriate, it cannot be a sampler.

Learning curve aside, decide what you want it to do (or what you’re lacking) and that will help you eliminate options because I’m not sure that polyphony will be your primary focus of either of the devices you mentioned an interest in (whereas analog four has polyphony, synthesis, and the potential to be a great drum machine also).

I think as far as pairing with digitone, any of them would be ok as long as you know what you want to do with them together. Also, people might be able to give more direct opinions if you give an idea of what kind of music you intend to make and any other gear that you’re currently using in your set up.

5 Likes

Thank you very much for you detailed and helpful response! I have been a musician of many sorts for the last 40 years. I play piano, guitar, bass, didgeridoo etc. :slight_smile:
For several years now I have been using various synths, daws and effects to jam out anything from kind of a heavy jazz fusion to soundscape ambient. Lately I have mostly been playing keyboards with Digitone with other synths and various ambient effects to chill in a meditative state with lush, ambient layered pads and such. Like many here, I have been through a ton of gear. On the synth end, I currently just have the Digitone, OP-1 Field and the EP-133 to noodle on. As I love the Elektron workflow and sequencer, I am considering replacing the Digitone with a more capable Elektron machine. Certainly not looking to over complicate things though. Just pondering whether or not 2 Elektron machines would be better for me than 1 at this point.

1 Like

2 elektrons is manageable, Id say the Syntakt would be a good pairing for the DN.

6 Likes

I really like digitone a lot, it’s fairly unique among the other elektron offerings. There are distinct benefits to using a single device over multiple as it simplifies the process of composition and arrangement but on the downside, you are limited to what the single device offers you.

You are unlikely to find a better polyphonic synth type experience in any other elektron machine, if you enjoy using it with a keyboard the 8 voices are incredibly satisfying. Analog four is very capable and analog synthesis is really a different sonic pallette than fm synthesis but it will limit you to four voices.

Octatrack can be used with a keyboard to trigger samples and you can manipulate it into working in ways other than it was designed but it will not so easily lend itself to synthesis type sound design as any of the others which are discussed here, it will be a different experience and some people may find it tedious, I use a digitakt because I am one of those people.

Rytm as a groovebox would be great if you enjoy designing drum sounds and would also like to work with some samples, I’m not sure it will give you a rewarding experience when played as a keyboard instrument so it depends on how much of your jazz fusion focus is on the rhythmic aspects, it is less likely (but not impossible) to smoothly integrate into ambient soundscapes.

Elektron devices do pair together particularly well, and it will depend on how comfortable you are with the digitone and syntakt workflow. The common ground between rytm and analog four will be closer than digitone and rytm, similarly digitone and syntakt or digitakt will feel like a more coherent transition and therefore it comes down to what you want out of them.

Octatrack will require a sound source, and whether that be samples that you create or samples that you acquire through purchases, it will probably feel like a less musical experience. It can certainly be used musically, and in terms of arrangement and mangling sounds it will shine, but composition may feel uncomfortable coming from traditional instruments.

I don’t know how much you intend to continue using the daw or how comfortable you are leaving all keyboard/synth duties to the op1 field but that is likely something you’ll need to figure out. If you currently use overbridge or are interested in using overbridge for a hybrid workflow with your PC, the offerings in the digi boxes and syntakt might be more useful to you. If you are going to compose purely on the hardware side, I don’t think it will factor into the decision as much.

It’s hard to direct you to only one option as they are all good options, but if your tablespace and budget allows, as long as you enjoy digitone then I would encourage you to keep it, however if your interest is mostly in using the digitone midi sequencer and your op1 can handle the same duties that digitone currently does then it may be preferable to replace digitone with even a digitakt which will have 4 voices midi polyphony per midi track (8 audio, 8 midi), and can handle drum duties or take samples from op1 for arrangement.

I use digitone and digitakt together, but mostly in that I take digitone samples an add them to digitakt to arrange compositions. I’m also using and enjoying mpc live 2 which does seem to lend itself to composition and bridges some ground between polyphonic synth and sampler that elektron does not, but I personally far prefer the elektron workflow as well as the arrangement side of things. Mpc live feels more like an instrument to me though, and it has stereo sampling which digitakt does not.

Sorry I can’t be more specific for your needs but hopefully this is helpful in seeing the bigger picture of figuring out your own needs. Knowing what you’re currently missing or struggling with is really the key to finding something that works for you. Sometimes it takes 3 boxes to be happy, sometimes only one is the best course of action. It all depends on you.

6 Likes

I truly appreciate you taking the time to give such a wealth of useful information. Coming from a traditional instrumental background, I am generally happiest physically playing instruments. Although, being an IT guy and having a deep love of the technical programming of these devices I am very thankful to hear your explanation of them. It sounds like I need to seriously consider the Digitakt as a companion device, but the Syntakt was very appealing to me being that I love sound design. Ultimately I need at least one device I can simply play polyphonically. So as you stated, the OP-1 or the Digitone can fill that position and I will just need to decide which is the best rhythmic counterpart. You have been very helpful. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you. I think this might be the way. :slight_smile:

If you’re looking for something that‘s mostly for drums but can also do some melodic/bass content and polyphony is not a problem (because you have DN), get a Syntakt or Rytm. I’d say ST because it fits DN size and workflow, unless you want samples and really beefy analog drums (then go AR).

As you already had and sold ST, maybe reconsider why you sold it and whether things have changed now. I also re-bought it and appreciate it now because I prefer making my own drum sounds nowadays and appreciate that it can also do great analog basses and FM plucky melodies/percussion.

3 Likes

I find that the DN and ST complement each other beautifully. The similarity in workflows and consistent UI between the two makes them (for me, at least) feel more like a unified instrument with more tracks than multiple instruments.

One thing that I often do is sequence the DN from using MIDI tracks on the ST. Although you lose an audio track, I find that 12 tracks in total between the ST and DN are more than enough. And this way I can also easily mute tracks on the DN from the ST, I get an extra LFO, and I can modulate the Mod Wheel/Breath Control/Aftertouch parameters from the ST. It also lets me treat the DN more like a “kit” based instrument, so when I jump between patterns on the ST, the sounds from the DN can persist as much I like.

9 Likes

Really good arguments and options there! I‘ve started to use ST and DN as my main setup with a Faderfox assigned to each. This means I can only use eight ST tracks if I want to map one knob of the Faderfox to the macros of an ST track. That leaves me with ST tracks 5-8 being freed to act as MIDI tracks, so I was also thinking of using them as DN mute/unmute tracks. When jamming/sketching with ST, I could use some sounds from ST there first with the option of later replacing them with DN sounds by making these MIDI tracks.

As a sidenote not related to the thread: I found that performance macros pretty much give you kits on DN and ST if you want to. Just keep the same patch for a track on each pattern and assign a macro, if you jump to the next pattern and the macro is dialled in, it will be the same on the next pattern.

2 Likes

This is my second DN as well…
This indecisive behavior can get expensive :joy:
Thanks for the solid advice!

1 Like

I’m thinking this is going to work for me! Thanks for your input.

2 Likes

After a few years of GAS and buying and selling, I’ve reached a new phase of mental dysfunction - decision paralysis.

Syntakt, Digitone, and Digitakt are all on sale 20% at my local shop, I think I’d love to own any of them, but that’s money that wouldn’t go towards a nice bigger purchase like a Prophet etc.

2 Likes

I also pair the Syntakt and Digitone. It is a great combo with the Digitone providing pads and chord stabs and the Syntakt doing the rest.

Right now I do add a sampler for drums which frees up the Syntakt to do lots of leads and basses (kit style).

2 Likes

Sounds spot on! That’s basically the way I’m seeing this pair as well.

OK, but who would sell their OP-1 Field to finance the Syntakt? I use it constantly, but I truly barely use the tape for recording. Nor do I take advantage of the portability aspect of it. Basically… talk me in to it :joy:

BFFs are perma hooked up (the sampler below is an MPC Live 2)

2 Likes

Goodness I just realized the M:C is the only Elektron that I have owned once. What is it with us???

1 Like

Just to be contrary to the majority of posters here, I really like the combination of DN and RYTM. Textural samples are something I love in ambient. In my case I’m using a mk1 RYTM, which sits better aesthetically alongside the DN than the mk2. :slight_smile:

I can’t fault the choice of Syntakt though. It’s a great box. If mine wasn’t hooked up to the modular all the time, it’d be with the DN instead.

2 Likes

Do you sequence everything from a DAW or the Digitone so that you don’t need the displays/buttons of ST and the sampler? Or do you unstack them whenever you use them?