Digitone playing external synth with midi keyboard issue [confirmed]

What a sad and bad joke this is. I can’t believe this is even an issue. No wonder they can’t keep more ambitious software release deadlines. They can’t even do something as fundamentally simple as this!

1 Like

You probably saw ad that they were looking for software developers. Every new hire tend to break code and need some time for adaptation. Elektron is clearly starving on development man power with all these new products they design. I hope they will work it out. Also, younger engineers tend to write code fast but always forget about quality. I was the same 15 years ago. Nowadays I spend more time to test my code, comparing to the time to compose it. So all my products have supreme quality and no bugs… When it comes to Elektron devices, my Octatrack/Digitakt still work fine so I am good :slight_smile:

lmao, I just wasted 2 hours trying to get this to work :confused:
My Digitone (1.01) doesn’t send any midi at all. Neither with keyboard nor with trig keys. Not using Midi out or Midi Thru. So in essence the Digitone is not a sequencer for external synths at this point. My Digitakt however works perfectly in this respect, thank christ.

This has been addressed in the 1.02 update from today, so excited!

2 Likes

Phew!! Mine is in the mail and after coming across this thread I was a little worried. 20 hours ago.
Now we just need that overbridge release and we’re golden.

This is kind’ve related but I didn’t want to start a new thread…

I’m having this issue where… sending midi to Ableton… if i play the chromatic keyboard on the Dtone… i just get kind’ve cutoff notes… But if the sequencer is playing… all well and good… but if the sequencer is stopped… no good… seems to cut off my playing… i just get little clicks

any ideas? is this a known issue? is there a setting for this somewhere?

Hmm. It appears to be related to the EXT setting in Ableton. I’ve sent a bug report

1 Like

Any update on this? I am unable to record my keyboard midi notes to sequence my peak from DN. Neither I can play notes on DN controlling Peak and record notes to DN and then have Peak from MIDI notes…Ia m on 1.20

It was addressed in v1.02.

What are your MIDI settings?

I do have track to 1,2,3,4 and Midi to 1,2,3,4 using Auto Channel. On Midi track 1 I do have Peak and I can hear it when I play it on my KeyStep connected to DN, bnit nothing is recorded to a Midi track on DN, neither I can hear Peak playing DN keyboard or record MIDI notes to the DN sequencer. Like all the notes from KS play thru and are not noticed.

Have you connected the DN’s MIDI Out port to the Peak’s MIDI In port?

Yes. Will fiddle again tonight. Strange is, that it does not record the MIDI IN from AK, regardless I am in MIDI or DN tracks. Even I can hear me playing the correct MIDI tracks when changing them on KeyStep.

Does anyone know if there is a limitation as to how many notes can DN receive via MIDI IN and pass them to MIDI OUT, the sequencer is not involved or recording/playback.

I want to purely pass 15-20 midi notes from an external sequencer going into DN MIDI IN and then via the correct channel enabled passing them via DN MIDI OUT to Nord Lead 2X for example?

Does anyone know if this is supposed to have been fixed yet? I’ve just tried to play in notes from Ableton with a keyboard and it doesn’t seem to respond to midi on the 4 midi tracke ss (works fine on the internal synth tracks).

I’m upgraded firmware quite recently (has the split external IO function).

Hmmm. I recently purchased a Digitone Keys and I’m now trying to play and sequence my hardware rack synths with it.
Updated to the latest v1.40B, went through all MIDI and port settings I could find but I can’t make the keyboard send a single MIDI note through the 5-pin hardware MIDI Out port.
Playing the chromatic buttons will send notes though so I’m hoping this is not a long-unfixed bug but rather user error…

Edit: My bad. I had Multi-Map mode enabled on the keyboard. After disabling, it all worked as expected :smirk: