Digitone/overbridge issue

Hi guys,

Quite often my Digitone stops making sounds in sessions. Often like every 4-5 minutes, so until this get resolved my Digitone constantly breaks my work flow.

Then I have to restart it and there’s sound again. I have it hooked up to Ableton/Overbridge and sound goes into Ableton via USB. I have tried to connect the USB cable to powered USB hub, directly into my Mac’s USB and even into the USB of my screen. The issue is the same though. Any hints ?
Thanks

Hi tommygee,

Do you use the DN as an ASIO soundcard ? You can still see VU meters moving but there is no sound coming out of the DN ?
This is a very known issue that a fair number of DN owners experience, it is currently checked by Elektron and we can only hope that the next firmware will deal about this.
Meanwhile you can maybe try to use another soundcard to get audio out from Ableton.

No I don’t use DN as a Soundcard. I use an Apollo 8 as soundcard.

Oh, so I can’t tell…
Can you tell us more, when did that first occur ? on all of your projects ? Do you have a lot of automation etc ?

Sounds like the issue a lot of people (including me) experience with AH. No solution yet I guess and if ever … who knows. There have already been several updates of OB without a fix for that.

Whoa that sounds insane. Do you also get this that often ?

Yes, maybe not constantly all 4-5 minutes but often enough so that I sacrifice using AH most of the time. On second thought I wonder if it really makes sense keeping it.
Somehow I suspect that the error is some kind of hardware conflict that does not occur in every system. This is just a guess though without any knowledge or background behind it.

When OB breaks for either my DN or my DT, it seems most often to be associated with a MIDI loopback, where MIDI from the DN gets sent back into it from Ableton, or vice versa. What’s your MIDI configuration?

My midi setup is pretty simple. A usb cable from my Mac into Digitone.

In the mean time, I’ve used my Monome Norns sequencing Digitone - going direct into Digitones midiport the last two days. With this setup Digitone’s editor was open in Ableton , and I got no problems at all.

Today I went back the the “regular” setup and I got the above mentioned issue 3-4 times during a couple of hours.

Are you sequencing the Digitone via individual MIDI tracks in Ableton? If so, have you checked to make sure that the DN isn’t feeding any MIDI back into Ableton?

1 Like

Midi out was actually was turned on - turned it off now, and hopefully that’s it. Thanks for the tip Dave :+1:

1 Like

Unfortunately it wasn’t. I still get the issue. Sometimes 3-4 times pr. hour, sometimes 20-30 times pr. hour - and then Digitone is pretty much unusable.

I had the exact same problem with the Digitakt, I contacted the Support and they sent me a beta firmware that seems to have solved the issue. I would recommend doing the same, maybe they already have a similar beta available for the Digitone.

Great advice. I got the beta, and that has helped a lot. Only had the issue 1 time over a 2 day period.

1 Like

Glad it was helpful! :fist_right: :fist_left: