Digitone + Octatrack partnership

Can confirm , it’s a very powerful FM drum synthesizer. UNLIMITED POWER !!!

2 Likes

I’m hoping someone can help me out

This is my set up.

Octatrack - Arturia Keystep - Digitone (with overbridge)

Octatrack is sending Midi out to Keystep - Keystep has been changed so its Midi is THRU - thats going into Digitone -Digitone back into Octatrack

Everything is working fine in terms of connectivity, apart from 2 crucial things.

1. Clock send

This just works for the first instance, so I press play, the sequence runs on octa, thru keystep and plays digi. Pressing stop stops all sequences. But I when press start again, the digitone sequence does not follow suit.It seems digitone stops receiving the clock. This issue seems to only happen when the digitone is in Overbridge mode. When its in USB MIDI I can start and stop as many times as I want.

1. Playing the tracks,

Playing the 4 tracks which are on midi channel 1,2,3,4 respectively on the octatrack is fine, its also fine using the keystep using its channels 1,2,3,4.

But just for ease, I want to keep the keystep on channel 10, which is the Digitone’s auto channel, which will just allow me to then just press either T1,T2,T3,T4 on the digitone and the keystep will pay whichever track is selected.

This works, but it also plays T1 regardless of what track is selected on the Digitone. E.g. I want to play T4, the keystep will play T4, but it also plays T1.

Any help would be great. Thank you

hey nige, not sure if this is any help but im using the same setup and i do keystep->ot->thru->dtn which works well, i keep the keystep on the OT auto channel and route the midi from the OTs midi tracks to the dtn(cause when i use this combo i sequence the DTN from the OT, sync etc works perfectly

1 Like

is the keystep going into in IN or THRU of the octatrack

in and then out to the DTN so its being „midi monitored“ when midi tracks on the OT are selected

2 Likes

Hi Burpy.
Did you finalise a working method for these two audio?
I plugged my DN audio into the OT ,thinking sampling was main reason - but have not been sampling the DN that much. I do occasionally filter and effect DN with a thru machine.
It’s useful for putting other stuff thru the DN inputs and learning on its effects.
Originally I had OT into DN and felt the sound quality seemed subjectively better…? Maybe the headroom is better that way coz sometimes I need to crank the OT input ,thru machine to get a high enough DN signal.

Although i liked the DN i did not keep it. It doesn’t add enough next to my Nord G2 / OT combo to justify it.

1 Like

I run my DN through my OT. I just use the mixer page and turn up DIR on AB, no need for a thru machine. You can still sample inputs AB, and if using T8 as master, then the DN audio gets routed through any effects you have on the master. Pretty neat.

7 Likes

Yeah I think I’ll take you up on that.
Gonna switch over today, need an extra track aswell.
Thanks for the suggestion :+1:

1 Like

Has anyone figured a working Audio setup similar to this?
DN (LR out) > OT (AB in) > OT (Main Out) > DN (Input LR)
AND got the main LR of the DN (inc the OT input) back to Ableton Via USB?

I’m Sequencing Ableton from Max and outputting to DN via USB and all monitors great including OT and DN sounds. But the head scratcher is, to record a stereo master back to Ableton.

Just came across your post.
Does that mean that I do not need to sacrifice a track on the OT as a Thru machine?
And still be able to sample DN?
I know for a fact I can work out a scene where you can mute DIR input (A/B or C/D) from the MIX page. Which allows me to go from DIR input (scene B) to sampled stuff from DN (scene A).

2 Likes

Correct

3 Likes

Thank you :pray: