Digitone + Octatrack partnership

Those settings on the DN are defo not what I had. Will try all this tonight. Thanks all.

I have no Send cc option in the midi ports menu on the Digitone.

In the GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG sub-menu:

• set OUT PORT FUNC to “MIDI”;
  • set OUTPUT TO to “MIDI”;
  • set PARAM OUTPUT to “CC”;
  • set ENCODER DEST to “INT+EXT”.
1 Like

Sorry. Tried all of these and not getting a result. I fear that from my poor communication (I was at work) I haven’t explained properly what I think I’m trying to do and so you kind chaps might be advising me on something else.

I was hoping that once I’d set up the right channels, I could learn the cc for say Ratio C on the Digitone from the Octatrack. If I set it manually (cc 91) it sends fine, but still not receiving. There must be a tiny thing I’m missing. Thanks for your help.

I thought this thread was about maintaining a healthy relationship with my partner when owning both the DT and the OT (which is quite hard). Very disappointed. Mods please close.

Jk :yum: thanks for the neat tricks everyone!

That’s the basis on which I’ve been advising you.

So, from which synth track on the DN are you sending the knob movement and what MIDI channel number have you set it to in the DN’s GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > CHANNELS sub-menu?

Have you set the same MIDI channel number on the OT’s MIDI sequencer track where you’re trying to set up the learning?

Is the MIDI channel number on the OT’s MIDI sequencer track the same as that set for any of the OT’s audio tracks?

(P.S. This is why MIDI learn is not the easy way to do it.)

5 Likes

Ok.
“Is the MIDI channel number on the OT’s MIDI sequencer track the same as that set for any of the OT’s audio tracks?”
Yes. Turned those all off. Now working. Much thanks big thumbs. :smiley:

3 Likes

Not obvious thing ! Btw this weird behaviour make midi loopback possible.
By default audio channels are 1-8 so you can use 9-16 if you want to keep audio channels.

I was looking for a drum machine to complement my OT and Moog Little Phatty setup, as the tracks of the OT are filled quite easily. But maybe I need to alter my Modus Operandi and use the OT as the drum machine and add a DN to my setup to replace the audio loops (chords, pads, arps) I am currently using on the OT. This would free up space on the OT and give me more flexibility in the tonal domain… hmmmm… what option would be a wise one.

I hear DN makes a pretty good drum machine as well!

1 Like

ha indeed… ! and a digitakt can not generate synth sounds … (allthough it is a sampler. but that is already covered by my OT)

Yesterday, I spend a few hours setting up a MIDI template for the OT to control the DNs synth and effects tracks. So many LFOs, so nice!
Basically, OTs MIDI tracks 1 to 4 are controlling the DNs synths tracks 1 to 4. The only CCs the OT sends to the DN are Breath Control, Aftertouch and Modwheel, as those can be mapped to several parameters on the DN. Three LFOs per track is a perfect fit for that.
MIDI tracks 5 to 7 are controlling the DNs effects, so there is still one MIDI track to spare. Maybe I’ll route that to the DNs multi map channel.
I’ve been using an Arturia Keystep with the DN so far and plugging the OT between those two devices has made things a little complicated, as the OT has lots of weird quirks on the MIDI side.
However, you can easily configure the Keysteps MIDI out port to act as a MIDI thru port with Arturias MIDI Control Center software. So MIDI goes from the OTs MIDI out to the Keysteps MIDI in and from the Keysteps MIDI out into the DNs MIDI in. This merges all the CCs messages sent by the OT and the note data/channel selection/pitchbend/modwheel etc. data sent by the Keystep.
Very nice!

4 Likes

Hi, anyone hears the Digitone quite different when connected to the OT?

Sometimes I feel it has only less volume (should I turn its vol to max or something?) when I use it with a thru machine.

Other times it sounds like it´s clipping, but I have the T7 pointing to T1 to have visual feedback of imput levels and it´s ok.

Other times it sounds very very different if I plug my headphones directly on the DN or on the OT, and I have no effects in its track nor in the T8.

Am I missing something?

Loving this thread.
This is exactly what I’m doing at mo with tempo from DN to OT and DN fx and synths modulated by OT slides and LFOs.
Found the OT quirky with its CC output every Part change with LFOs stopping/continuing (as set in project settings) - but what a pair! Even without CC control these two are so powerful.

Yes I noticed a difference in DN sound when input through the OT.
Sound was much better with OT input to DN. DN sounded much clearer and it’s own inputs are much hotter.

When DN is input to OT it is much quieter yes.
I turn up the thru machine to max ,then even sometimes boost more with the amp volume.
(I sometimes disable filter fx- but no noticeable difference for me).

I’m on OT mark 1 - not sure if this makes a difference either.

1 Like

Had a crash on my Digitone when using midi LFOs from OT.
I was tweaking a voice but from the DT interface. Possible midi loopback maybe.
I had some OT LFOs modding the delay and verb effect.
I have their auto channels set to different numbers.

Ended up losing a whole pattern of edits.

Just bought a DN with this combo in mind. Think the DN will fullfill all my synth/drum duties and the OT will do the rest.

Curious what you all use as you’re prefererd audio routing with this combo:

• DN -> OT so you can record the DN and use all the OT crazyness (i think i like this one the most)
  • OT main OUT -> DN and mix the OT with DN and just have a common master volume (ik think the least interesting)
  • OT cue OUT -> DN to use the DT’s FX (as the internal FX of the DN sound so nice, but no stereo input :frowning: )
1 Like

What do you mean no stereo input on DN? You can just pan the inputs hard left and hard right in the Master section (Fnc + LFO). Same place you set input level and master FX sends.

I mean the effects inputs are mono: L & R inputs are summed before send to the effects.

Just set this up with CC direct connect then turned on turbo mode and can confirm my DN does not freeze when I hit stop twice on the unit. :slight_smile: