Digitone - mono/stereo cables and DAW setup

Hey all

Can you clarify if I should be using mono cables with my digitone into my focusrite interface and DAW with two mono tracks OR TRRS cables

Im finding the panning isn’t accurate in the DAW setup with the TRRs cables and is overall muddier than when Im headphones out directly from the digitone

thanks!!

I can’t confirm what’s deemed right but I use two mono cables with no problems.

in your daw do you keep two mono tracks panned at zero , what is your setup so you keep the digitone FX and panning intact as per what we hear on the headphones out of the digitone , cheers!

I don’t generally record to a DAW but I do sample to the SP and MPC when I had one. I never touched panning on either and left all the EFX in place on the Digitone. Sounds the same as the headphones!

If you use 2 Mono Tracks, you need to hard pan Left and Right (just like on a mixer) if you want to keep the Stereo field you’ve created or you can record on a Stereo Track.

2 Likes

I use two TRS cables into my motu interface which allows me to have pairs of inputs as stereo or dual mono inputs, if I choose stereo pair they always panned properly (by the audio interface) and I can use single stereo track in DAW and if I use dual mono I need to have two tracks and I need to hard pan both left/right.
this worked for me also with mono TS patch cables but they were short, I switched to TRS when I needed more length and all I have longer is TRS cables.
I can’t hear any significant difference in audio between this, headphones or using OB, they all have different gain but if you gain match the outputs they should sound the same.
I suppose that with the audio interface there’s also a factor of the ADC conversion and the preamps that can slightly alter the sound compared to what’s coming out of the DN, but it shouldn’t be something significant…

2 Likes