Digitone MIDI Problems

Hi there,

I am having a couple of problems interfacing with my new Digitone with Ableton.

I have it set up as 5 tracks in Ableton - one MIDI track with Overbridge on, and 4 separate Ext. Instrument tracks for each of the Digitone’s tracks. The Overbridge track is muted, so I can still edit parameters via Overbridge, but the audio does not clash with that of the other tracks.

The audio is working fine - but the MIDI implementation is not.

1. After a short while, unpredictably, the Overbridge track will start a perpetual feedback loop where a note is repeated/sustained indefinitely unless I press stop twice on the Digitone. This is incredibly loud and accompanied by harsh clipping and distortion - this audio/glitch is not heard on the instrument channels however.

2. I cannot get the DIgitone to send MIDI to Ableton or anything else. When I got it, I could, for some reason, now, I cannot. If I press notes on the unit they will not record in Ableton’s Piano roll and they will not trigger other VSTs.

What is going wrong here? I have performed an OS upgrade and a factory reset to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

FWIW, I’m new to the Digitone and also trying to get my head around the midi implementation. I don’t have an answer for your first issue but maybe for the second I do.

In the MIDI Config page, go to Port Config, the Trig Key DST should be set to either INT + EXT or just EXT, if you want to use the trigs to send midi data. Same for the Encoder DST setting.

If you want to send Digitone sequencer data as MIDI to your DAW, the only way I’ve found this to work is by using the MIDI sequencers (make sure you enable the MIDI track for each sequencer track first or it won’t work – go to MIDI, then SYN1, then press the first encoder to enable it sending over a channel).

However, what I haven’t been able to find out (and I’d really like to know) is whether the sequencers for the ‘normal’ 4 channels can send out their sequencing data as MIDI? I’d like to capture what I’ve created for the internal synths as midi in my DAW for further tweaking. I can’t seem to figure out how to do this, and whether it’s possible at all.

Audio tracks do not send midi data from their sequences.

Maybe you could help us help you by providing some screenshots and/or some of your current parameters ?

You can copy/paste a normal track to a MIDI track and record the MIDI out from this track to your DAW I think. But the best way is to record your performance directly into your DAW and use DN as an external synth. Any way you have to make a choice in your workflow before recording : to DAW or not to DAW, that is the question…

thanks for confirming

Yes, I started doing this earlier tonight. I like using the DN as a sketchbook but then expand the sequences in the DAW afterwards.