Digitone midi keyboard controller

Thank you!
Both of those seem quite DAW-focused, Ableton Live in particular. I’m nervous how useful the screens would be for hardware.

Which keyboard did you end up buying?

I was eyeing the Novation Launchkey 49 MK3 for use in Standalone Mode, but it appears that its onboard screen won’t allow full device configuration directly on the hardware, and relies on software (‘Components’), for assigning MIDI CCs to the knobs/faders, etc.
It appears that the only things we can configure directly onboard are these:

I wish Korg would make a new MicroKontrol, with better mini keys like the Yamaha Reface. It allows different MIDI CHs for each individual pad, knob, fader, and keyboard. Fully configurable from the front panel. 9 displays. Poor keybed (like MicroKorg). Pads are velocity-sensitive but are mediocre. Korg made a bigger one with full-sized keys called the Kontrol 49. Nice that the MicroKontrol fits in most desk’s computer keyboard trays.

1 Like

If you are looking for a keyboard controller which ist configurable at the device itself, take a look at the Novation Impulse series. It‘s quite a few years old but is perfect for controlling hardware, as absolutely everything can be set without a computer.
The keybed is also really nice to play, especially regarding the price.

2 Likes

Nice :slight_smile:

Something I’ve been wondering whether each of these keyboards can do…
Have a different MIDI channel between the keybed, drum-pads, sliders (ideally each, so they are for the 4 DT tracks).

Anyone have experience with any of them?

On the Impulse, you can configure every single controller (poti, fader, pad, button) separate, split the keyboard into 4 zones and store the configuration in 20 templates.

1 Like

Akai mpk 249 looks decent. Novation sl mk3 also, it even has a preset for Digitone.

1 Like

I bought a Novation SL Mk2 49 on a local auction site.

Any thoughts on the Arturia Keylab Mk2 49? Hooking it up to a DN and DT? I own a Novation Impulse 25 now, but it has too little keys (obviously) and feels very cheap… Looking for a allround controller to use both DAWless and in combination with a DAW (Logic).