Digitone midi keyboard controller

Hi all,

I’m using a DN as a synth for my DT (awesome pairing!). But I’d like to get a midi controller to control and play the DN as well. I was initially considering the Alesis V49, the reason being that it has 4 selection buttons and knobs, which I can map to the 4 synth tracks of the DN, and then switch easily while playing (also has pads which I can map to whatever). However, I realized that the Alesis has no MIDI out, only USB, so I guess that won’t work right, because I need to connect a keyboard to the Digitone via MIDI necessarily? Or is there a way to use the USB out to somehow i) power the controller, and ii) control the DN, maybe using some adaptors? I’m a bit of a newbie on all this routing/connecting business. Otherwise, if I need a MIDI out, I’ll get an Arturia. And I’ll take any recommendation on a 49 keys controller :slight_smile:

Thanks!

USB requires a “host” - a device that is the brains of the USB connections involved. Usually it’s a computer (or a tablet/phone), but there are some (a very small amount) standalone devices that can be a USB host too. Unfortunately the Digitone isn’t one of them.

So to use a USB keyboard with the Digitone, you’d need to use it via a computer (or tablet/phone/standalone host).

You could look into something like this:

I’ve no idea how well it would work for your proposed setup.

Otherwise you need to use the standard MIDI 5 pin DIN connection.

1 Like

I can suggest the Roland A49, which has a good synth-action and is very lightweight.
Some drawbacks : not a lot of controls + the mod wheel is a joystick that gets back to its initial position when you leave it.

It’s also a USB powered keyboard BUT there’s a trick to run it with a 5V adapter without a computer or USB host. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If you have a Raspberry Pi you can flash the following image that is setup as a USB MIDI router:

https://neuma.studio/rpi-as-midi-host.html

I just finished setting up all of my gear on my new desk and I’m using it as a MIDI hub/router. Works like a hot damn!

2 Likes

My favorite 49 key controller is the Akai Max49 if you are cool with touch faders over knobs. I love it, but I am using DSI MEK as controller due to limited space and love of Evolver

Keystep for the outside, 61SL Mk3 for the studio.
So glad with both of them!

1 Like

The A500 Pro adds a bunch of assignable controls.

I like my A800 Pro. If you get on with Roland’s combined pitch/mod controller they’re a good choice.

1 Like

I have the same. SL mk3 is fantastic in the studio!

With the Keystep and one of my Elektron boxes, Blofeld or Pulse 2 plugged in to the battery below I can sit in the garden with a pair of headphones and noodle in the sun.

Mini UPS Uninterrupted Power Supply 7800mah 12V 2A USB 5V 1A Output Power Bank (GM312 UPS) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075QZQSS1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GPs0CbXZ37KKE

Happy days :grinning:

1 Like

What’s the very best keyboard controller for Digitone?

i.e. maxing out the control potential with velocity, aftertouch, knobs for CC, pads for multimap drums…

Tu m’avais déjà convaincu devant la bête, quels sont les inconvénients ? Oups. English only. :smile:

You already convinced me in front of the beast, what are the caveats?
Channel and poly aftertouch?
Does DN uses channel or poly aftertouch
What about older versions?

I already have a Taktile 49 and a SSL90, but I’d like aftertouch.

Not being snarky (maybe a little) but with the price drop, a DN Keys, surely.

1 Like

I own an Arturia BeatStep Pro and it’s amazing; tons of knobs, all assignable to different midi channels. The main downside is not being able to sequence poly. From what I can tell, the Keystep packs a bunch of similar functionality and the KeyStep Pro even more (but fewer knobs vs the BSP).

Of course if you’re just looking for 49 keys and a bunch of knobs, it might not be as exciting for you, but I’m a huge fan of these newer Arturia sequencers.

Hi gang! Reviving this thread. I’ve just purchased a new Digitone and am looking for a compact 4-octave keyboard controller that I can use with it (as well as with other synths and gizmos).

I was originally going to purchase a Korg MicroKey-49 or a M-Audio Oxygen49. And I see someone earlier in this thread suggesting an Akai Max49. However, it seems like none of these will work with the Digitone, right? They all send MIDI strictly via USB-B, not via 5-pin DIN – and so I think they would need a USB “host” such as as computer or ipad in order to work as a Digitone controller.

The best option I’ve found is the Roland A-49, which has a DIN out – so I am guessing it will work.

Questions for y’all:
• Am I understanding this correctly?
• Can you suggest any other simple controllers that might fit my needs?

Thanks!!

1 Like

I’m quite happy with my new Arturia keystep 37. It’s compact and has MIDI in/out…

1 Like

Yes.

I would like to advocate for the A-01. which is small, but very close to the same height of the DN as well as having 5 pin MIDI. I find using auto channel is perfect for my jamuary needs.

1 Like

Are the A500 / A800 keys semi-weighted? Roland site isn’t very clear on this.

No, I would call them synth action, but there’s a bit of damping going on.

1 Like

I’ve spent a while collecting information on keyboards from 32 - 49 keys, focused on semi-weighted and aftertouch (like the Digitone Keys):

(Ideally with 6 pads for my ND2, faders for each channel, and a bunch of knobs)

Any great ones I missed?

2 Likes

Love the sheet!
Missed the new Novation Launchkey MK3. Has velocity pads, screen, and DIN MIDI Out. No aftertouch.
And NI Komplete Kontrol.