Digitone loudness problem?

I’ve severely noticed that the DN is not as loud as the DT. But today it was very annoying.

The DT goes into the DN. I have everything connected as recommended.

Could it be that UNISON has anything to do with it. As i enabled unison the DN got a bit louder but still no comparison the loudness output of the DT.

I really dont get where the problem is.

3 Likes

Unison being louder is the same for every synth as the extra layers add together so you get more volume.

1 Like

But i think its not normal that when i play the DN at full volume, the DT is on 1/4 volume louder than the DN.

3 Likes

I’ve never noticed this but I’m curious if your main page drives have anything to do with it… do you have the drive cranked in the DT and maybe not in the DN?

(“Main page” like master drive, etc…)

1 Like

i work with a little bit overdrive on the DN master. And the loudness-level of the DT tracks is at no time more than 100. And the DN-Master for external input in is as recommended.

i think i will make a test at ableton to check the output loudness-level on each device.

I really dont know if it has something to do with the latest os-update.

2 Likes

Anybody else having this problem? I was just looking for an appropriate spot to post and happened upon this thread.

I have A4 MKII routed in stereo to Digitone which feeds stereo into RYTM MKII. I find that I need to keep A4’s Master volume at about 15-20% to avoid drowning out the Digitone. This is to avoid clipping too - since in order to get a decent level out of the Digitone; I need to crank its master volume to about 90-100%. Only then are A4 and Digitone able to reasonably mesh with the average audio output of the RYTM’s presets.

I mean… I can work around this a bit too, but it seems somewhat strange and limiting (for volume modulation in sounds), or perhaps not ideal for overall audio quality. The issue seems to be with the Digitone itself - in that it’s output gain simply does not seem to be as high as the other machines I’m using.

Side note: I am not using Overbridge for the time being, I’m just trying out a more low latency and more hardware based configuration to help benefit my playing in jams/compositions by feeling more connected to the sound.

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure but think the have tried to leave the appropriate headroom for each device with included the distortion compression throughout the whole box including master, like the digitakt is extra quiet because it has overdrive and compressor etc. while digitone is a bit louder because no compressor etc

2 Likes

Digitone is louder than Digitakt? That’s not what OP observed - their issue was that Digitone is quieter.

I don’t have a Digitakt to compare the levels, but Digitone is certainly surprisingly quiet in my above mentioned configuration. Should I really have to turn the volume of A4 down so low just to match them? Maybe it’s because I’m using the headphone output of the Digitone rather than the main left and right outputs. Anyone happen to know whether that would make a difference?

1 Like

Yeah didn’t read the original post correctly, but I find the digitakt to be the quietest by a fair margin with overbridge anyhow… I guess it depends on how it’s plugged in

2 Likes

The Digitone’s inputs are “super sensitive” such that any instrument you connect into it can sound very loud.
My solution to this phenomena is to set the input levels somewhere between 40 and 45.

4 Likes

Agreed with above, or set your A4 to 50% 0utput.
(I like to set my DN inputs to 100 coz its easy to set with Func on a new pattern).

I would always use main (DN) outputs instead of headphones if possible to max quality.

3 Likes

I’m finding the volume levels of the DN from the main outs to be surprisingly low. It’s quieter than the Model:Cycles and a lot quieter than the Monomachine. I’m having to add a fair amount of gain on my mixer and even at max volume it’s not loud enough to use running through the external inputs of the ARmk2.

Is this normal? Is it due to headroom allowances for unison/feedback/etc?

1 Like

I tend to use master overdrive on everything now. With track amp vol levels around 60. Sounds huge, defintely loud enough. I guess yeah, theres tons of headroom due to how crazy it gets with feedback, track overdrive and master overdrive. Plus that delay… dangerous…

2 Likes

Yes and yes, it can serve 8 stacked voices and as noted the filters get very resonant and there’s drive to add etc. Better this headroom than clipping any day of the week. The DN is capable of hot signals, but that depends on combinations of all of the above, the issue isn’t hardware potential, it’s set this way by choice, probably for the best imho. That won’t make it easy to feed loud enough signals in regular use cases e.g. into an AR though ! Might be handy to have some external gain options if not routing via a mixer. I’d like to find a neat little stereo +6db box for these moments

6 Likes

Thanks all, it’s not a problem, just wanted to check it was normal. :thup:

4 Likes

I am too having this problem.
My digitone and Digitakt go through my Soundcraft Signature MTK mixing consol. The digitakt output is at normal level but the digitone is quiet, very quiet like problematic quiet…

My digitakt volume is set at 50% while diditone is set at 100% both at the same level in my mixer but the digitone can ONLY JUST be heard, some tracks are almost silent…

I can’t find a decent answer to this problem.
Can anyone help me?

OK So in answer to my problem I had Left and Right outputs with Ts to Trs merging cable.
2x Ts coming out L&R merging into 1x Trs into my mixer. I unplugged one (Right) channel on the Digitone and BINGO nice & loud same level as my Digitakt.
My digitakt Just has one Trs to Trs so that was fine lol.

Seems cabling could be worth checking out if you have the same or similar problems.

Aeon

2 Likes