Digitone+Keystep+Overbridge

Hey there,

Both of my DT and DN are connected to Ableton via OB. I have my Keystep 37 in usb mode. I can play notes on the DN when arming the relevant track in Ableton but I cant seem to record the notes into the grids of DN when in live recording mode. Is it possible or am I missing something?

I believe you need to send MIDI on the auto channel in order to record the notes into the grid.

2 Likes

It is already in auto channel 10

Any thoughts?

You mean you canā€™t record it in Ableton or canā€™t record it into the Digitone?

You have to tell/set the DN to send midi notes out, sounds like thatā€™s your issue.

1 Like

I can record it in Ableton but I cannot record what I have played in the grids of Digitone. I am only able to play it atm.

Do I need to activate clock send in the config page then?

I just re-read what you saidā€¦ I would use a dedicated midi track in Ableton, KeyStep is your input and set Digitone as your output target source. Then just use the OB track in Ableton to monitor your DN.

Thank you so much for the help. I will be trying this out. Right now I have four audio and one post fx tracks in Ableton. Similar to the below setting for Digitakt. Could this be the problem?

my setup:
Audio Routing
-route to main , al tracks unselected (red trigs) ,except delay and reverb
-send to fx , all tracks selected (green trigs)

Yes, if you are wanting to midi sequence in Ableton then use your Digitone as a sound module, you are best thinking of it as ā€˜midiā€™ first.
Iā€™m sure we all use it differently, but my main use for Overbridge within Ableton is to be able to change settings. When it comes to recording the audio into Ableton, I prefer to use USB Audio/Midi mode in the Elektron units.
Iā€™m at my computer now, Iā€™ll show you a really basic screen of how Iā€™d say it should look.

Okay so I am using the above audio routing in Digitakt and it works great because no external controller is required for grid recording.

But with the DN I would very much like to record directly in DN, and change the trigs manually by hand.

When Ableton is not in the equation, I use this setting and am pretty happy with it

DT OUT -> KS IN -> KS OUT (MIDI THRU) -> DN IN

So I am willing to find a solution when using OB for both devices with the Keystep. It is no big deal as I can just record directly into Abletonā€™s corresponding audio tracks but having the option to change certain trigs manually can help. Hope this helps.

Ah ok, but this doesnā€™t let you play the KS into the DN?
I know it can be a nightmare when youā€™re trying to do something that seems simpleā€¦ your scenario here looks to me like you need a Midi Merge deviceā€¦ Ableton can kind of do that job (you just need to have ā€˜All Insā€™ selected on the midi channel in Abletonā€¦

1 Like

The KS allows its input to be merged with the output when the ā€œMIDI Thruā€ function is engaged.

1 Like

I will def look into that. Thank you so much.

Thatā€™s good to know!??