Digitone Keys without the keys

I already owned a Digitone but I sold it because the lack of single outputs. However, I really miss the sound and it is really powerful for the form factor. Now there’s the Digitone Keys which has the single outs but it’s way too big for my portable live setup.

I’m aware that there’s the Linux ALSA Overbridge project by @droelf which could be used in conjunction with a Raspberry PI (Zero) and a suitable audio interface to achieve this functionality. But there are some drawbacks like the (minor) latency, stability and increased complexity. I also don’t want to deep dive into Linux Kernel development.

So I’m thinking about the possibility to remove the keyboard part accepting that

• I’ll void my warranty
  • I’ll probably need a new housing
  • Some minor (keyboard related) functions might be rendered useless

Has anyone tinkered with the Digitone Keys yet? Do you think it might be possible?

Don’t do it!!! Seriously, don’t do it. How badly do you really need all individual outs during a live show that’s supposed to be really portable, you’ll need a bunch of outboard and mixing etc to really be taking advantage of it during a show.

8 Likes

If you really want the individual outs, the Keys isn’t that big, really. There’s a gig bag for carrying it too. I definitely would not recommend butchering one for the individual outs!

5 Likes

It’s my decision whether I need it or not, right? :stuck_out_tongue:
I have enough outboard to make use of the single outs.

While it would be cool to have just an expanded DN with the extra outs and those lovely chunky mod and pitch wheels, doing such a job yourself will be a nightmare, I imagine. Plus, you can rule out ever selling it if you grow tired of the DN sound later on down the line. So, yeah, as Hawk said, don’t do it!!!

1 Like

If you are using individual outs it means you don’t care about effects and panning. One option is to send a subset of the tracks to the L out and the rest to the R out, maybe that can be enough for you?

2 Likes

I already have two bags to carry: A Gator G-Mix 20x30 for all my gear and a Peli 1200 for other stuff. I got no third arm for carrying another bag and my stuff is already heavy enough :wink:

Yes, do it!
And document it, please. :happy:
I think thats a great idea, really, its hilarious! :ecstatic:
While others mod their digitones to their own needs in an additive approach (ext. keyboard, midi controller, etc.), you make it subtractive - cool. :cool:
The hard part will be, where you could put the controller knobs which are located above the keys?
But it would be an outstanding device with individual outs, pitch and mod wheel and performance knobs.

1 Like

I care a lot about the effects of my outboard. The integrated effects are sounding good and such but they’re too unflexible for me. Maybe it would be ok if I could pan the delay and reverb to one output as well.

1 Like

Go for it!

I bet it’s separate circuit boards inside.

The only circuits to the right should be the extra 8 controls, the buttons for the modes etc…

If you cut the case nicely enough you could just put a metal panel (get it powder coated to match) on the right side.
You could even potential move the extra controls above the existing design potentially.

Since the outs are above the mod/pitch wheels you’d have to keep those but it would make it unique for sure.

Best bet is to open it up and take a look first.

1 Like

Just do it. Make the keyboard removable and still usable.
I believe @Airyck will tell you if it’s possible, testing removing ribbon cables…Did you opened it ?

1 Like

When they’re mounted on a PCB I don’t think that I would include them.

I don’t understand why people are losing their shit here. If the DN is modular on the inside there’s nothing wrong with putting the PCBs into another housing.

The big question is how the PCBs are connected (my guess is some ribbon cable) and whether there are any software dependencies to the keyboard or controller parts which would cause trouble once the boards are missing. If this wouldn’t work out or if I want to sell the device, I’d just assemble it again.

I love my keys, but why not. If you take the panel off and show us some pics of the insides (like @sezare56 says) we can help to catch any pitfalls you might come across.

It’s your synth to do what you want with. Don’t let other people convince you otherwise (still listen to their reasonable advice of course, when it’s reasonable).

I get where you’re coming from too. My Digitakt is almost on the chopping block now because I’m torn by the fact it doesn’t have multiple outs.

3 Likes

The most likely scenarios is the that the buttons and knobs are connected to a multiplexer somewhere in the main circuit. You should have any issues with them floating. I’d definitely disconnect cables from those circuits first and do some testing.

When you don’t want it for live use, you could try the Raspberry Pi solution. There are good chances that this will work out with some research and some Linux basics. Otherwise I have concerns about the stability of the current driver implementation.

It sits in the shadow of my Analog Rytm MKII now so it’s getting less and less needed.

edit: I am considering using all 8 tracks on it for one or two very complex sounds, where it wouldn’t matter if it only has a set of stereo outs.

2 Digitones = 4 individual mono outs, 4 inputs…:content:

5 Likes

Oh dude of course it’s your decision! That was never in question. I’m just saying that it’s a bad idea :wink:

3 Likes

Yep, it likely is haha. I’ve broken a lot of things, but I’ve fixed and created way more because of it (breaking was more in my early learning stages). Depends on the OP’s confidence in his skills and levels of courage. As long as he’s aware of the risks and still wants to go ahead with it, he could get exactly what he wants.

1 Like

The gig bag works as a backpack, but yeah the keys is a bit heavier than you might expect due to the metal case