Digitone Keys + Digitakt MIDI setup

Dear fellow Elektronauts,
I´m enjoying the Digitakt (DT) and Digitone Keys (DNK) a lot. After many (many) hours of reading manuals and threads and figuring things out, I do have a number of issues/questions left concerning MIDI setup of the two machines.

Generally speaking, I want to use the DT as master regarding Sync, Transport, Pattern Change and Mute States which basically works as it should. Also, I want to use DNK to control some Audio Tracks on the DT - basically, using them like external synth voices. For the latter, things get complicated for me.

As there´s many questions, I numbered them 1. through 8., so if you can answer one or more questions, you can refer to the respective number(s).
I´m afraid it turned out a bit of a long read, so I´ll be very grateful for anyone bearing with me :slight_smile:
Now, here we go:

1. SAVE/EXPORT/COPY ALL MIDI SETTINGS?
    First off, all those MIDI settings necessary are per pattern, right? Can I copy all those easily? Or make them per project? There´s so many settings, it´d be very tedious having to reprogram them all for every single pattern.

2. PATTERN MUTES VIA MIDI?
    I can Global Mute the DNK´s tracks from the DT which is great. However, Pattern Mutes don´t work. I read it´s a known issue but do you know a way to still do Pattern Mutes via MIDI? Manual page 98, chapter “MIDI implementation” says something about Patterns Mutes which I do not understand…

3. DNK AFTERTOUCH TO MIDI OUT?
    Can I send DNK´s aftertouch data to DT/external devices as CC? If so, how?

4. DNK DATA ENTRY KNOB “G” SENDING RUBBISH TO DT (via MIDI)
    I set up DATA ENTRY KNOBS on DNK´s MIDI tracks (1-4) to control some parameters on DT´s Audio Tracks (5-8). DNK´s DATA ENTRY KNOB “G” is giving me a headache: No matter what CC number I assign to it, it seems to send out on a bunch of CC numbers simultaneously which completely destroys the Sound I programmed on the DT.
    I tried on all DNK MIDI tracks. I tried assigning several different CC numbers. I tried assigning the same CC numbers for DATA KNOB “G” that I assigned to different DATA KNOBS before (e.g. CC74 for filter freq). No matter what CC I assign to KNOB “G”, it´ll send rubbish CCs to the DT.
    Checked MIDI SYNC, PORT CONFIG and CHANNELS settings on both machines. Checked all MIDI TRACK PARAMETER Pages on DNK. Can´t find anything.

5. USE DNK´s CONTROL KNOBS TO CONTROL DT AUDIO TRACK (via CC)
    I can control external gear (DT in my case) with the DNK´s DATA ENTRY KNOBS via CC (except for the “KNOB G” problem mentioned above). Can I also use the DNK´s CONTROL KNOBS that way? That is, assign a set of CCs to the CONTROL KNOBS per MIDI Track?
    It seems that CONTROL KNOBS can only be assigned within MIDI CONTROLLER MODE… There, however, the CC mappings seem to be fixed to one MIDI channel (set up in MIDI EXT MENU). That, in turn, means that the CONTROL KNOBS will not change MIDI channel automatically whenever I change MIDI Track on the DTK.

6. MIRROR CONTROL CHANGES (CCs) DT->DNK
    As mentioned above, I have set up DNK´s DATA KNOBS to send out CCs to DT Audio Tracks. For instance, on DNK´s MIDI Track 4 the DATA KNOB “E” controlls “Filter Frequency” (CC74) on DT´s Audio Track 8. When I now control that Filter Frequency on the DT itself, can I mirror that parameter change on the DNKeys?
    Without that mirroring, DNK DATA KNOBS are not always “up-to-date” and will produce parameter jumps when turned.
    If mirroring isn’t possible (as to avoid parameter jumps): Can I make the DT “scale” or “pick up” incoming CC data from DNK instead of jumping to the new parameter value?

7. DNK ONLY SENDING NOTES FROM KEYBOARD - NOT FROM SEQUENCER
    Strangely, DNK´s MIDI Track 4 does only send notes to the DT when played “live” on the keyboard (or TRIG KEYS). When I record notes to that track´s sequencer, they will not be sent out to the DT.
    Again, I checked all MIDI settings on both machines. Also, on the DNK, I made sure that on SYN1 PAGE, the respective MIDI channel is “enabled” (shift+press and select channel).

8. SAME CC VALUE FOR TWO DESTINATIONS?
    In the DT´s MIDI IMPLEMENTATION CHART (manual p. 75-76) the CC value for “FILTER Attack Time” is 70. The same CC value is assigned to “LFO VAL1”. How can I deal with this? Is this a programming error?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers, Fabian.!

1 Like

What is that blue reflection by the no button on both?

Welcome to the forum!

MIDI settings in the Settings Menus are stored at Project level. Make a template Project with the settings you want and load that Project whenever you need a new Project.

MIDI settings for the MIDI sequencer tracks are stored with the Pattern.

Not as far as I know. You would have to use an additional MIDI processing device to map Aftertouch messages to CC messages.

That is surprising behaviour. For troubleshooting purposes, make a new Project just for testing this and see whether the same behaviour occurs. If you have the means to monitor the MIDI output from the DNK, identify which messages are being sent.

Basically, no.

Have you muted the MIDI track?

It’s a typo. Download the latest version of the manual from Elektron’s website (don’t do a Google search for it).

5 Likes

It’s a thumbs up as to make sure I hit the right button for “pattern reload from temp.” :wink:

2 Likes

Oh wow!! Smart!!

Thanks a lot, Peter!
Regarding 4.:
So maybe I’m not getting those MIDI channel settings. And maybe it’s not feasible to both have the DT mute DNK’s MIDI tracks and the same DNK’s MIDI tracks to control DT’s audio tracks?
I’ll take DNK MIDI track 4 as an example. I want this track to control DT audio track 8.

For mutes: I’ve set the SYNC settings as they should on both machines.
On DT - in MIDI CHANNELS settings - MIDI track H is set to MIDI channel 8. On DNK - in MIDI CHANNELS settings AND on SYN1 page - MIDI track 4 is set to MIDI channel 8.
Like that, muting DNK (MIDI track 4) from DT (with MIDI track H) works but CCs from DNK to DT are buggy (I now noticed it’s not only DATA KNOB “G” but others too that send on several CC numbers, messing sounds up on the DT).
So on DNK - in MIDI CHANNELS settings - I deactivated MIDI track 4. (It is still active on SYN1 page.)
Now, CC messages from DNK (MIDI track 4) to DT (Audio track 8) work as they should. But DT (MIDI track H) cannot mute DNK (MIDI track 4) anymore.
It’s better that way and it seems both (CCs from DNK to DT and mutes from DT to DNK does not work).
Oh my boy, MIDI confusion…