Digitone Homework

Hey Elektronauts :wave:

I’m trying to get to know my Digitone better. I feel I’m only scratching the surface. And my general FM synthesis dexterity could be much better.

Therefore I was hoping we could provide each other with some DN homework assignments / challenges to practice and learn from.
It can be challenges in sound design, sequencing, interfacing with other gear or whatever else you can imagine.

Some examples could be:

• Try to create the sound of a bouncing ping-pong ball
  • Create a song with only 1 track and 8 steps

Sharing solutions to homework assignments is allowed :wink:

5 Likes

Bouncing ball on the Digitakt here.

1 Like

My assignment: trying LFO successively on each of the destination.
There’s a sound I haven’t succeeded in create yet, and I believe it’s the path.

3 Likes

Great idea!
I believe that for exercices to be efficient, they have to be repeatable and provide instant feedback. So stuff like sound recreation, preset analysis, pattern recreation and others where you try to remake something that already exist are great for improving.
So taking tracks we like and recreating aspects of them can be great challenges!

1 Like

There’s been talk in some thread about getting a good Acid sound, maybe you could do that.
Acid is always a good starting point :loopy:

I’d say download vcv rack since it has an oscilloscope that works really well and use the usb audio we have in 1.30a to explore ratios and the wave shapes you can create with each. Also get familiar with the range of the level b macro. Write a riff using just level b modulation to really internalize where the “hot and cold” spots are. That’d be my two assignments :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like to try and eat a whole one without licking my lips.

1 Like

Sound design: percussion. Requires that you know a little about how fm works (algorithms, sidebands, frequencies, some math). Record a percussive sound (clap etc). Run it through a spectrogram. Find most prominent peaks. Find the note of the lowest (or loudest peak). Choose appropriate algorithm and ratios to produce most (or some) of the peaks. Tune by ear until your sound is somewhat recognizable (amp envelope is surprisingly important I find).

1 Like