Digitone/Digitakt breakout box [work in progress]

I’m also interested in the project. Would get one with or without enclosure.

This looks cool.

This is exactly what I’ve been wishing Elektron would make!!!

2 Likes

It´s an awesome project, and if you would release it as open source or sell boards or kits, i would build one for myself (i´m fairly experienced in SMT soldering) and help out others that can´t build themselves. As long as the components are not smaller than 0603 i´ll handle it.
I also have access to skilled 3d-printers so i can provide the full package, just provide a design and it´s no problem. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Which one you use? JLPCB? Good choice if so, they´re reliable and i use them all the time.

I’ve wanted this since day one. My number one wish for Digitakt. So I’d buy this in an instant, with or without enclosure. If a future firmware update would stop it from working I’d stop updating. Separate outs > Overbridge.

4 Likes

You can probably lay all the connectors single layer, and make it the exact size of the digitakt, and sit the digi on it.
Also, if it’s gonna require usb power, is that power also gonna be a usb host?be nice if there were 4 ports on it as a host.
(Not even a digi owner, but host mode would be bangin’)

Dont overbridge for digitakt support separate outputs like it does om the Rytm?

It does, but that requires the computer though :wink:

1 Like

Yeah of course, great to have separate outs otherwise :slight_smile:

1 Like

No idea how I missed this, looks incredible. I’d love to split the eight mono outs of the Digitakt. :smiley:

we are waiting! :alien: and saving for the box!

The plan is to open source it. Nothing is smaller than 0603, there are two ICs that have a thermal pad (the DACs) but other than that nothing there is too annoying :slight_smile:

I am using PCBWay.

1 Like

This is actually the plan for the next revision:

The board dimensions are 7.85" x 3.2" so it should fit nicely under the Digitakt/Digitone.

It has two USB ports - Host and Device. The Host port connects to the Digitone (as the Digitone is the device), and the device port is used to power it up. Any USB power brick or battery pack should work. This port will also be used for firmware upgrades - that (and getting the 2nd revision board) are the biggest TODO items I currently have.

21 Likes

Super excited to see people interested in this project!! The next update should be about the latency between the Digitone’s master output and the master output when routed through the USB connection. I’m hoping to be able to do it over the weekend and get some numbers, and I’m hoping they’ll be satisfactory.

8 Likes

What I was asking about the host port was, would it be like a 4x4 midi host?
Meaning you could plug just any controller keyboard into the digi and play it. Or plug a digitone into it so they can talk to each other over usb (since these devices aren’t hosts themselves)

Unfortunately no, since the Digitone plugs into the host port. If I wanted to allow multiple USB devices to connect to it that would require supporting a USB hub, which is a complication I don’t want to deal with in the first version of this.

4 Likes

Looking incredible :metal: :metal: :metal:

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Sounds great, awesome work and brilliant follow-up on the idea!
0603 i can handle easily mostly, the IC’s too depending on how tight it is between the “legs”. But it will be fun to try. :slight_smile: Looks easy enough from the design pics.