Digitone/Digitakt breakout box [work in progress]

Fine with or without an enclosure, it’s a damn fine idea either way.

I would still buy without enclosure.
Are you raising each channel output by couple of dBs ? They are quite low when using with OB.

Very cool idea, definitely interested in this a product!

given the large cavity inside the Digitakt (not sure how much space there is in a digitone) could a split PCB design enable it fit inside?

challenge is user skills at drilling 12 holes in the front of their case .

3 Likes

it would be nice to have your device somehow fixed to the digitakt or digitone, and acting as a stand for the machines at the same time.
the DT / DN have standard vesa holes on the back

The advantage of not having 14 cables dangling around DT while not having this device as stand is pretty big. Usb cables can be pretty long so you can stuck it under the mixer maybe.

IMO It’ great in current state as long as the soft/hard-ware is solid. Access to firmware would be great tho.

just a thought, some people might like if it had a DB socket, rather than jack sockets?

9 Likes

I am fascinated by your guess that latency is low.
OB latency is excessive.

but . overbridge is computer related. non real time os like windows or macos need to add substancial latency to treat realtime audio.
i agree that overbridge is not at the level of many audio interface though…

Amazing job! I’m amazed about your talent.

my drum machines that feature outputs on the rear panel are fine to me.

what would dangle imho is the box itself if you don’t attach it because the audio cables will be 4× heavier that the box itself

You can make your own enclosure for stand purposes or buy longer cables.

this is awesome, I expect a lot of people would buy this. great for live shows.

1 Like

Excessive? How bad is ur computer? I haven’t noticed any latency on OB at all :o

1 Like

Somewhat uninformed comment.
Samples latency induced by the OB plugins is not a function of CPU power.

Somewhat uninformed comment.
Higher cpu power = more samples processed per second = lower latency.

48000 samples per second.
With a generous 128 sample buffer size = ~2.6ms of latency.
The better your computer, the smaller you can make the buffer.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your interest! I have began working on the 2nd revision of the board that will have all connectors on some side, and will be a bit narrower than the DT/DN. Work is a bit busy right now but I hope to be able to send it to the factory in about 2-4 weeks.
I also want to get a better measurement of the latency - since I believe I can hear a tiny bit of difference when I lay the DN analog master output on top of the master output that comes over USB to my device. While some latency is unavoidable, I believe the value is going to be low. When I get a chance I’ll try and get an exact measurement.

Cheers!

9 Likes

Hi! A quick update that I have submitted the second revision to the PCB manufacturer. They’re on holiday break until Feb 17, but hopefully I should have the second revision by May. While I await for them I will try and get latency measurements. I am hoping to have numbers in about a week.

This is moving much slower than I would’ve liked, but I am trying to make progress whenever I have time.

8 Likes

I’d not caught this thread before, but this is very cool! Following : )

I missed this before, so here’s one more person for the list. I’d take a kit with or without an enclosure.