Digitone/Digitakt breakout box [work in progress]

That would be SO SICK!

This is really great. As for enclosure/kits, could you offer two versions? My time these days is really restricted and I’d be more inclined to just buy one in an enclosure and use it than trying to make my own enclosure and cut into limited composing time.

Wonderful project though - bravo!

What would would really be great (for me at least) would be the addition of an ADAT lightpipe port as-well so you could have a future proof digital solution for recording (not having to be dependent on Overbridge). 1 ADAT port would stream the 8 channels perfectly. 2 ports would allow you to send the stereo out too. Is that even possible?? You wouldn’t need the D/A conversion so I imagine it wouldn’t be a very expensive addition… but maybe there are other factors around digital formats that I’m completely unaware of. Would be great just to be able to hook it up to an audio interface like that.

1 Like

“everything can - nothing must” :grinning: search for the OT with adat (hint: it costs 10k)

:exploding_head: Thats crazy! What are the extreme costs involved?
ADAT expansion boards were always the norm on the old samplers… I had one on my Akai S6000 and on my EMU Ultra. Professional connections seem to be missing from most current gear.

Well, it was S/PDIF and not ADAT, and it’s listed for $5k these days (and still not selling):

A multi-channel digital output is a cool idea. I am not sure what it would take to add that.
I am reluctant to add more features since right now I have been failing at finding the time to deliver what I already have sort-of working.
I still haven’t placed the order for the 2nd batch due to some on going negotiations with the fab house, and unrelated life stuff getting in the way.
Seeing the excitement in this thread is a great motivator - I hope to have something to sell at some point this year.
<3

11 Likes

If you need a Digitakt owner to help you test please feel free to contact me. I have a Zoom F8n that can record up to 8 input channels both direct to device and into a DAW at the same time.

For what it’s worth, I think a breakout box that can be separate from the Digitakt would be way more useful and practical than trying to fit it inside the Digitakt/Digitone.

For example, I would place the breakout on my guitar pedalboard, where I have effects and a mixer/recorder. The Digitakt could be anywhere within the length of the supported USB cable (or whatever cable ends up being the standard for this device).

So for gigging, and setup, it would be a lot simpler. Also, a separate box could be designed to be rugged enough to be placed under other pedals, so essential it becomes a pedal riser and doesn’t really take up much horizontal pedal space.

1 Like

Very interesting project! Following :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d instantly pre-order two of them and put a reasonable amount of money on top if you could modify one device with 3.5 mm stereo jacks. I use the 1010music Bluebox as a mixer and it would be very convenient to have a more direct connection.

I have VERY similar plans except that I’d place it under the board. The board is already build and just waiting for this awesome lil box :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you had any success using the additional ins/outs in audio interface mode? If you were able to get that working, and added balanced i/o that would really put this box over-the-top in terms of usefulness. Even without full audio interface support for the extra outs, this is still looking extremely promising.

I’m fine with it not being in a case as long as it’s fully assembled otherwise. I’m not much for soldering. I already found an option that might work. I could mount the breakout to the underside of one of these pedal risers, and use it as a riser for the Digitakt to sit on top of. There are several sizes, so it would just be a matter of seeing which one fits best. All the cables could be recessed a bit below, relieving tension, and allowing cables to flow.

Dropping by again to say that if you build it, I will buy.

Hi, The 6-10ms of latency you mentioned as a goal would be an issue in my setup, but not a deal breaker, only a limitation. I’m a live loop artist, and also work with surround sound, Quadraphonic, Octophonic and at times even higher. The limitations would be that anything that is to be processed by the Digitakt would not be able to be sent to other effects or channels in my mixing/routing setup, otherwise the delay would be evident. I can work around these sorts of issues by using 100% wet effects in one or the other. Usually the sonic issue comes from hearing the delay between the dry signal and the copy, so in this case, the copy being what is processed by the Digitakt. Anyways, probably more info than anyone needed to hear, but suffice it to say, under 10ms would not be a dealbreaker for me.

and as a side note, the Digitakt Audio Tracks with latency would not be an issue at all if under 10ms. The only issues that crop up would be in a situation where a copy of the original signal is made as described above.

Currently, for me, a balanced line-level version is first but if you did make a Eurorack version that would be fantastic. It would likely inspire me to get a second Digitakt and build a modular setup around it.

Please do finish that! I will 100% order that if it doesn’t cost the same as Digitone itself:)

seems like Elektron should be licensing this design or pitching in somehow… considering how much this adds to the Overbridge world

in many ways it also seems like a big step towards that fabled elektron mixer

Hi everyone!

A quick update - I have finally placed the order for the 2nd revision of the circuit board. I believe the low gain issue has been resolved, and measurable distortion has been improved. Latency remains on the order of a few milliseconds, but that is just the nature of USB audio - this is not going away.

It will take the fab house about 45 days to manufacture and assemble this single test unit and ship it to me, after which I will need to spend some time testing. If everything seems to work okay, I will start a waiting list, first-come-first-served for beta testers. Seeing how little time I am actually able to dedicate to this project, the realistic timeline is probably closer to the end of the year for being able to ship the test units.

Costs remain a concern. Global chip shortage has hiked up prices, and manufacturing low volumes of electronics is not cost-effective. The single unit I just ordered is close to $600. The beta testers batch of 10-20 units will be cheaper, but I am not sure by how much. I also have not spent time trying to cost-optimize this since I first want working hardware and software.

Some notes based on replies above:

1. This version does not have balanced outputs. That would’ve doubled the amount of connectors (which are one of the more expensive parts of the BOM) as well as opamps, and doubled the footprint. If I manage to successfully deliver on this version, it would not be difficult to make a balanced version. An alternative I am considering is using DB25 connectors for the balanced version. That would be cheaper and more compact.
  2. I love the Eurorack version idea!
  3. The beta boards, if we ever get to that point, will ship fully assembled (so no soldering necessary) but without an enclosure.
  4. I have been fantasizing about using this as a base for a digital USB mixer. That is a much more complicated project, but it’s fun to think about.

Thank you all again for keeping this thread alive. I really wish I was able to dedicate more time to this project, but other things are constantly in the way.

29 Likes

Thank you for the update!