Digitone: can it sent Start/Stop messages?

Hi there,
stupid question maybe but I have not been able to find it in the manual: is the DN able to send midi start/stop messages?
I can start my DN when hitting start on my M:S but it does not work vice versa. To me it appears that the DN only sends clock but no start/stop. Or have I missed something?
Thanks for your help.

DN can send it. Check midi-settings to se what is sends.

1 Like

Make sure the DN is set to send clock and transport and the M:S is set receive clock and transport.

1 Like

…sorry…but can’t resist…this is worth a RTFM answer for real…
and apart from that…does anyone know of any gear that can be synced in any way, that was not able to comunicate start and stop…?..just curios…

The older elektron boxes have transport and clock as separated options. So it is possible on those devices to send clock but not transport depending on which options are selected.

…got two different option sections in a firmware checked or left unchecked does’nt mean, it would not be able to comunicate start and stop…

even in pre midi era i can’t think of any gear, triggered in any way of clocking, that could not do so…proove me a smartass…please…

but i really think, there was never such a piece of gear in history…

On other elektron boxes If transport send is not selected start and stop commands are not sent.

The are definitely sync methods that don’t send transport commands. The volca pulse sync for instance. But you are diverging far from the topic at this point and providing no help to the OP.

Sorry for annoying you, but I did read the fm.
I have ckecked clock send in DN and clock receive in MS. Could not find any transpirt options in the midi config sync menu of the DN. DN still does not send start stop to MS or any other of my devices.
Any ideas?

…ooops…ok…

make sure dn is sending master clock…make sure it also sends transport status…
u’ll find all that directly in the page behind midi/sync…

once u can confirm that…and problem remains…u know…it’s not the dn…problem must be find at the other end…

same with the model…did’nt touch in quite a while…made it an x mas prestent to my son…
so forgive me if i can’t recall it correctly…but prtty much the same there…overall menu is midi…next to find is sync…and then proceed the same way…

what else is in that sync chain…are u daisy chaining along through any more gear…?
and if so…how exactly…?

sometimes it’s an overseen easy mistake…like…sure the midi cable is going from midi out of ur master machine to midi in in ur slave…?..do u use the official midi adapter of the ms…?

If you have activated the CLOCK SEND function then you have activated transport (Start/Stop/Continue) messages as well (manual, page 64).

If it is not working for you then you need to do some troubleshooting:

• is your DN’s firmware up-to-date?
  • are your MIDI cables and any adaptors in good condition?

Double check settings, including:

• settings (OUTPUT FUNC, OUTPUT TO) in the PORT CONFIG sub-menu on the DN,
  • settings (INPUT FROM) in the PORTS sub-menu on the M:S.

If all of the above are set correctly but you still have a problem, then there would be a genuine mystery.

…yup…good point…u might send via usb instead of physical midi at the moment…