Digitone Automation

Hello,

is it possible to use the automations in real time even on the arpeggio? He takes them in every sound but on the arpeggio, although the trig keys turn yellow, he doesn’t record me the automation.

Thanks!

2 Likes

If you can’t p-lock it you can’t automate it

OMG no, you can’t automate the arp? Seriously? :disappointed_relieved:

I’m lurking here considering buying the Digitone but some very basic options missing (like arp swing, arp automation, external midi arp, and too few envelopes & lfo destinations) are making me sad.

Nope, this was an often requested feature on the A4 arp too- but unfortunately not.

There are certain things you can do to attempt to control the output- especially on the digisl structure. 1. You can adjust note length to determine how much of the arp is played on a trig. 2. The arp is attached to the sound, so you can take the same sound and duplicated it with different arp settings, store it in your sound bank and sound lock different presets with your different arp settings

5 Likes

Not as convenient as one would hope, but the desired result CAN probably be attained if need be

1 Like

Thanks for the insight! That’s a smart trick, although probably very slowing down a workflow as opposed to just turning a knob and plocking it.
One thing I do all the time in my DAW is automating the arp rate (also switching between free rate and sync) - it creates very expressive sequences. Was hoping I could do this too with the Digi

Don’t we all, my fellow Elektronaut

well thanks :)) Also I was surprised to find no swing on the arp, very unexpected omission imo.

Hmm! Arp swing- yeah that would be impressive!

Do you use OB any?

I still haven’t bought the machine. But will defo use Overbridge with Ableton if I pick the Digitne. It seems very inspiring but there are some very basic functions missing I’m not sure I can live without yet.

1 Like

It’s a really fun device that’s a joy to navigate. It’s great to have direct control over the sound and to use the sequencer tricks to make it really quirky.

The layout of “each pattern is a new kit” really lends itself to work well with a DAW, so that when you’re away from the computer it can be a sketch pad and then you can turn those sketches into complete tracks once you’re reunited with your computer. And the control-all opens you up for happy accidents, you can constantly fiddle around with the control-all parameters and develop new patterns/transitions or even new presets to use.

For me, stuff like melody for more classic song stuff I’ll probably be better off just crafting the rest of the tracks internally and then sequencing a proper melody elsewhere.

Right now, I’d say one wall that the Digitone/Overbridge needs to resolve(but will it? Who knows) is being able to drag your patterns into the DAW and work around with it further to send the pattern data back(but current workaround would be just copying your track pattern over to a midi track and live record it into your DAW/external sequencer.

People argue about the beauty of hardware compositions is in its limitations(sounds like a marketing technique to me) but I did have fun having to think outside of the box with the Digitakt to achieve a certain result. That made me feel like a scientist, I should buy a lab coat.

I’ve tried DAW composition, it’s just doesn’t gel with me currently. I don’t have to worry about using too much RAM or over using my computers processing power when jamming and also working with hardware just feels really really good.

The Digitone is a beast for what it is, it’s a nice sonic playground with a fantastic interface that just feels good to push buttons and twist knobs and the sound is phenomenal.

Try to see if there’s a music store nearby that you can try it out. Or buy it new from online and return it if you don’t like it

2 Likes

Unless they rewrite their engine completely this will not happen. The data stored within audio tracks (microtiming, plocks, sound locks - just to name a few) does not translate 1:1 to a MIDI track which can be edited by a normal MIDI editor. Just the restrictions of a step sequencer alone makes it somewhat incompatible with normal MIDI editors (for the other direction: MIDI -> audio track).

If it’s just about the plain notes you can always copy the audio track into a midi track and then record the midi track into your DAW. But in almost all cases the real magic of an audio track isn’t hidden in the notes.

The only realistic possibility would be a special editor integrated in the Overbridge plugin(s).

1 Like

Just got a DT for xmas, and I really, really like it. I have owed the original MD, and the mk I AR and A4, so I am familiar with the Elektron sequencer, which definitely helps.

The DT is just simpler enough that it’s really fast to work with. am using it to add drones and arps to DAW compositions. It’s fantastic.

Re the above, what I’ve tried is to automate the automatable in Ableton (which is a ton of parameters obviously) and then live record the arp changes (Len, Range, note Len and offsets) in a take. I have gotten really nice 5-7 min recordings with one page and one trig.

do a couple of takes and then comp if needed or else just save a take for the next song.

1 Like

I would like to hear a short example, if possible :blush:

138 bpm; 1/12th arp

1 Like

Record a longer take and then scan for nice phrases seems to be an interesting way to start a song. Will give it a try. Thank you.

yeah. I found, for example, on this particular take that 1/12 didn’t work well with the kick n bass, but snippets made for great 1 bar fills between certain sections.

Tho you can’t automate the arp, you can however have different Arp settings saved/stored per pattern! :slight_smile:

Hopefully this is on topic but I wonder if you can route MIDI in to MIDI out and control the master fx like this?