Digitone as delay and reverb fx unit

I regularly route the op-1 through the DNs fx and sample this into the OT. You can also p-lock the fx and any other parameter on the master fx page using midi loopback or another midi sequencer.

2 Likes

Thanks. Sounds more and more like an attractive option.

This was a huge disappointment for me in terms of using the DigiTone for external processing.

In a lot of ways, the Monomachine was the Elektron FX box so many have been banging on about for years! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What about the collider pedal from source audio? Saves on space and money, has many great algorithms.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know. I’ll check it out, thanks for the advice. How’s it for that dust and dirt character?

I’ve spent a few hours deep diving into what the Digitone can offer as an fx box and it’s not gonna cut it for me, after all. I’ll keep looking in other places.

I dont own the Digitone but if the FX are the same has the A4 i think they are ok but i prefer (and by far ) using the OTO BIM or Strymon Volante for delay. Same thing for reverb, i’ve got external unit with more character.

Elektron FX are great but kinda vanilla imo.

2 Likes

BTW the OTO Bim is the best delay i ever tried and its also my favorite chorus unit.

3 Likes

I was going to say, Digitone effects are okay but they are more on the clean end rather than characterful dust and dirt.

I still think the OTO stuff is worth checking out. Bim + CXM 1978 would be great, or for a similar price (at least in USD) you could get the OTO trio :wink:

1 Like

Very true :blush: tho I wonder, with my CB Generation Loss and the Prophet 12’s own delay, maybe I’m covered already.

I’ll have to give it a little test run. I switched over to the red panda context2 for my FX send, so the collider is on ice for a bit. Was gonna sell, but I think I’ll keep it, since the FX are good quality. There is a lot to explore, with the option for parallel or serial routing. I only used it very basically. Anyway, that long ramble hopefully results in an answer tomorrow. I have the day off from work.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: always appreciate your ramblings, no matter where they end :slight_smile:

It will work well as an fx box with two caveats

1. There’s no way to eliminate the dry signal from the inputs - you can never go 100% wet. This isn’t an issue unless you want to use it on a mixer send, in which case you’re out of luck because the dry component will cause phasing issues with the rest of your digitone mix. Elektron should implement kill-dry as an fx option on their machines but they don’t.

2. FX settings change when changing patterns. This can be seen as a good thing or a bad thing, but it’s certainly different than using a dedicated fx unit.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this again. Of course, I search the forum and come up with a response I posted offering to test the DN out as an FX unit. Naturally, I have not made good on that offer. However – I have the day off again tomorrow, so I should have a chance to give this a go. I’m going to try plugging it into the master insert on my SSL SiX (which should mitigate the issue of not being able to remove the dry signal). I’m curious about how the master distortion plays with a mix, not to mention the nice Chorus/Delay/Reverb. In the meantime, has anyone else tried using the digitone as an FX unit?

I used to stick guitar through a Digitone (it made a surprisingly good effects box with the four master FX). The master distortion can either sweeten/glue a full mix or grind up individual instruments (not just guitar, but drums, synths, etc). I seem to remember @selfup doing something similar with regards to guitar processing in the past too.

2 Likes

When I had mine I tried it and was left underwhelmed because I could not parameter lock the parameters of the effects.

They are otherwise excellent. I just wanted and, expected, more.

2 Likes

Yes the chorus/verb/delay are excellent. This lets me use my reverb and delay pedals for my analog gear. I usually push distortion through into the DN because I have some tube screamer and high gain pedals. It is unfortunate you can’t Plock, but you can change the params per pattern :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I use onboard Digitone effects for my prophet all the time as the reverb on the prophet rev 2 is a bit too metallic imo. But that’s about it. Nice to hear but I can’t get really crazy with it either. Does it have to be hardware? Why not create a chain of effects in Ableton where you can go really crazy and controll them via a midi controller? Otherwise youtube has manipulated me a bit lately and kept showing me suggestions from the hologram microcosm. The price scares me and maybe you can get there with only stock plugins.

1 Like

FOR PEOPLE STRUGGLING WITH DIGITONE MASTER FX RANDOMLY STOPING

If you haven’t been convinced yet I think your money would be better spent on any of the many excellent FX units out there. Even if you budget is less than a new DN and is in the realm of a used DN.

I think Elektron does a great job of providing very usable FXs on their devices, but I can’t see spending that money on DN “for the FX” though : )

2 Likes

3 years late to the party but I have been interested in the same question myself - especially whether the delay feedback was plausible to play with in a live setting for guitar. Turns out the answer is yes and I am using it as a layer in my live DJ sets on a regular basis. Made a quick run through vid in case anyone is still pondering this: