Digitone Arp + Soundlock bugs and crashes

Hé man, yeah the high pitched crash is a software crash. Some of my other elektrons have done the same in the past when there were still bugs present in certain firmwares.
So unfortunately this won’t be fixed by trading it in, only a bug fix from elektron will. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Man, it helps a lot !
You really saved my time! :pray::pray::pray:🫶:sparkles::musical_note:
Yeah, by the way it’s also was endless amount of arps sound locked for drum rolls and one more arp with a hi-hat sound which I’ve tried to record in live recording mode, and it was even recorded, but at the moment of quantization : eeeeeeeeeeeeEeEe- and quantum leap… :wink:
… So I think Elektron team should mention that Digitone is not for glitchy IDM lovers))

2 Likes

Happy to help man :v:t2: (and don’t forget to send elektron a ticket if you haven’t already done so ^*^ )

2 Likes

So is this freeze crash bug still a thing? Mine had it and although I really love my DN I had to sell it as I didn’t see the sense having high end gear that had such a fatal flaw. But…I miss the DN. Don’t want to buy it again tho if this is still an issue.

Yeah still a thing, they all have it, it’s a software issue. Maybe simply decide if you’d still want one when it comes with the bug. Then you won’t be disappointed if it never gets fixed. It should be fixed though. I really don’t know what else to do besides applying for a job and fixing it myself :joy: I don’t know what their codebase looks like but it’s pretty hard to imagine that it’s that difficult to pin down and fix.

1 Like

The issue is that it seems really hard to understand what exactly makes this bug happening. If someone has a digitone pattern when freeze happens all the time while tweaking arpegiator, I think elektron team would be very interested to get it.

I’ve send them multiple :confused: including instructions on how to create them and it’s not just the crash. Things go wrong, meaning your pattern won’t play back correctly, before it crashes, it’s just when you stack multiple instances of the problem(s) that it crashes.

1 Like

So if you’ve provided Elektron with proof the bug exists and details of how they can recreate it (so they can test it and try and fix it), what was their response? Have they acknowledged it as a problem?

I love the Digitone but try not to use more than 1 arp in a pattern to avoid crashes - would obviously rather not have to do this.

1 Like

Yes, and they confirmed them to be bugs, a long time ago. Plural because its not just this crash. There is (atleast) 3 or 4 bugs related to the arp/voice distribution/soundlocking that wil incorrectly playback your pattern, without automatically crashing it.

My experience is that when you start “stacking” these bugs you run the risk of crashing the machine. Especially when soundlocking sounds that have the arp enabled.

So my hypothesis is that they are at least somewhat related. Haven’t been able to pinpoint what pushes it over the edge though. I documented (most of) the bugs and my communication with elektron in this topic in case you’re interested.

But to recap: Last I was aware of, which is quite old info, was that they didn’t know what was causing the bug(s) and they were under the impression that it was only causing problems for a small % of users. This last part is almost certainly a misconception.

Much more likely: only a small % of users “push” the software in this way, thereby making it crash. However most people will have patterns that don’t play back as programmed and they either simply don’t notice or write it of as user-error. You’re simply forced to notice when it crashes.

3 Likes

Wow :hushed: anyone got a chance to check out this one already?

1 Like

Funny how the paragraph you showed in the screenshot has more detail than the release notes. Thanks for the heads-up, though. Too late here, I will try installing this tomorrow.

1 Like

Yeah I saw the release notes and the first thing I thought was “well that last sentence was wildly inaccurate” :joy:

1 Like

So what are the bugs that actually got fixed?

I don’t know, I posted the entire changelog😂 so you know as much as we do, I might try it out later tonight though.

1 Like

Installed 1.40C and tried an old pattern/project that often (but not always) caused the crash and was fine. Sure I’ve been here before though thinking it was fixed with an update but it wasn’t. PurpleWizard, would you be willing to share a guaranteed crash project so I could test it?

2 Likes

Just tried it, still crashes. (I’ll upload a consistently crashing pattern a little later just so you and others have a consistent way of testing it yourself)

1 Like

BUG.dnprj (20.4 KB)
This is a project I also send elektron. Pattern A1 consistently crashes the moment it loops around. (which is too bad, its a pretty dope pattern :joy: )

3 Likes

Well that officially sucks.

2 Likes

[edit] crashes here with 1.40C

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing this - really useful to have this to test this bug after any new os release.

Crashes for me as well :frowning:

Such a shame that Elektron aren’t able to fix this.

1 Like