Digitone and Doubledrummer?

Hi there,

I just tried to trigger my Doubledrummer from Digitone via Midi, but I can’t seem to get the setup working. Here’s what I’ve done:

DN Midi out -> DD Midi in
Track 1 on DN, Midi channel set to 12, Midi settings all outgoing stuff set to Midi only (nothing is connected via USB)
Midi channel on DD is set to 12 as well
Set the root note for the track to C1 (that’s where the DD sounds start), placed a few triggers, made sure the track isn’t muted
DD audio out goes into DN audio in, levels for the ext ins on the DN’s master page are set to 100

Result: no sound, in fact it seems the DD doesn’t even receive Midi messages.

Any ideas?

Try C3 (MIDI note number 36) as specified in the DoubleDrummer manual.

The note labels (“C1”, “C3” etc) are arbitrary and not standardized, so always check the note number.

3 Likes

You can also get the trig keys to play the DD as long as you set trig key dest to INT + EXT and set the proper MIDI channel number in the channels config page for ”MIDI TRACK 1”… you might need to set output ch to AS TRACK instead of AUTO to get it working though.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I got things working with your help. Quite a nice compact combo I have to say. I really hope the DT’s inputs will get the same capabilities, because having audio in makes those Midi tracks so much more useful.

Regarding DoubleDrummer MIDI note layouts, the latest update adds a few layouts not documented in the user manual (these are documented in the changelog tho).

The K25 layout might make things easier with Elektron machines (Sounds are triggered by white keys - starting MIDI note 36).
I am not familiar with latest Elektron machines, but I believe a layout triggering sounds starting with MIDI note 36 - white and black keys - no “holes” - would be even better, at least with Octatrack I think this makes sense to have all sounds available in chromatic mode without having to switch octaves - it might be the same with their latest machines.
I will add this in the next update.