Digitakt Workflow with DAW (Ableton)

Hi Elektronauts,

I bought a Digitakt end of 2019 because I wanted to work less with the computer (I work in, with and for IT …. So I work all day on a computer) and I was searching for alternatives. The DT seemed to be perfect as a Midi Sequencer and a Sampler for Drums. But I missed the flexibility with effects, switching Samples and working with layers like I was used to do in my DAW (Ableton). Long Story short …. I did not use it so far in 2020. I really like that little machine but I can not integrate it in my workflow. So I two choices: include it or sell it. First the attempt to include it :slight_smile: I am looking for inspiration on how you use a DT in a Hybrid setup (with external Hardware Synths and Ableton). What are you doing? Do you record Audio (Drums) from DT to DAW? I would love to hear how you use it … Thanks for your support :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Flo

1 Like

I use it with OB. 8 individual Tracks in the DAW (you can add the plugins you want) + 1 Track for the Digitakt FX (Post FX). I use the DT’s MIDI Tracks with my Hardware Synths and Soft Synths.

2 Likes

Hi Tchu, thanks for your feedback and the description on how you work. So you record the Audio coming from DT (OB) in your DAW … that could be a way. And the new OB is much better than the first version I installed … so i will try that workflow. Midi programming without piano roll is a little bit tricky but … challenge accepted. Thanks Tchu!

These days, though, I really like to play and record Live using OB. I made a simple Template in Ableton. For my Elektron devices, I only load their plugins on a MIDI Track and create an Audio Track for each device to capture their Audio. Why? Because of Panning or anything related to Panning (LFO on Pan,…). If you use individual Tracks with OB, the Panning on the Elektron devices isn’t translated in the DAW (you have to do the Panning for each Track in the DAW).

So, by creating this simple Template, everything I do on the Elektron devices is translated in the DAW.

I also use my Rytm Kick to Sidechain everything else. So, only the Kick is on an individual Track.

In resume, when creating Patterns and Jamming on my gear, I use the simple Template. When creating Songs, I record everything individually with a Template made especially for that purpose.

Of course, if you only have one device, you can plug the Master Outs into your Audio Interface but when you have more devices, going USB is very convenient.

1 Like

I’ve been using DT since January (my first Elektron device, and first hardware sequencer) so I am still discovering my workflow… I feel like I’m starting to get it dialed in =)

I am using Digitakt to sequence Virus Polar and DSI Mopho, all audio outs send to SQ5 mixer. In this state I can just turn everything in and jam hassle free without the computer, this is how I prefer to get the flow started.

Once a pattern is ready to develop further, I plug in Overhub which connects SQ5 and Digitakt to Ableton. My ableton default template has Overbridge plugin with 10 audio tracks from Digitakt sending to SQ5 via Ext Audio Effect, as well as audio tracks for recording mixer Groups 1-8, all dry/unmixed synth/Digitakt audio and main 1-2.

This allows me to immediately go from a somewhat limited hardware jam to a full on mixdown with Digitakt sidechaining everything within a few moments.

All I have to do is open ableton and hit record and I’ll end up with stems for my live set, and the ability to remix all the raw audio at a later date if needed =)

4 Likes

what bloop outlined is more advanced than my setup, I’ll try it soon.

I have the ability to use Ableton but it’s optional and by no means central. I use it for basically two things: multi-track recording and for midi instruments (sometimes). DT as master / clock. No midi sequencing in Ableton ever (blech!)

while I’m jamming I put my computer to sleep but my focusrite still relays the audio from DT to the speakers. love this feature.

the computer only comes on when I’m mixing or experimenting with Ableton.

1 Like

Hello Tchu, thanks for the detailed description. This helped me a lot to find the right use of DT in my regular workflow in Ableton. I did it as you described it: DT plugin on one Midi track and then I route everything to individual audio tracks in the same layout as the DT is labeled. With the exception of Cowbell … this channel is used for percussion. But the fact that I use the same 8 tracks gives me a nice limitation in my production … I like that. The audio tracks are great too to add my effects and for a default panning. I also group HiHats or Clap & Snare, for example. I’m getting more and more used to it … especially with transfer. The next step is to work more with patterns in DT. Thanks for your help! Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Bloop, thanks for your response. Very interesting - so you jam and develop the idea just with DT (and ext. Synth) in the first Phase and in Phase two you make the move to Ableton. I will definetly keep your workflow in mind. Thanks for sharing your knowledge! This helps me to see what possible. At least a small mixer is on my wish list anyway … to avoid the annoying “cable game” before i can start playing another synth. Have a nice day! Cheers!

Hi woz, thanks for sharing your way of working with DT and Ableton. You are right, that seem similar to what Bloop is doing. Hehe, “No midi sequencing in Ableton ever” … From my perspective, i like to see where the midi notes are placed in Ableton and the Step sequencing in DT was kind of a science of its own to me … but I also made experiments where i plugged in my Keystep to DT and recorded Chords or Sequences to DT. That was fun. Practice, practice, practice :slight_smile: Have a nice day! Cheers!

This is the workflow I want eventually. Do you need digital mixer to do this or is there a cheaper work around without it?

Have you tried Overbridge?

Check this video for full setup explanation

1 Like

A digital mixer should allow all multi track audio from Digitakt to enter the mixer on its own channel easily.

To do this with an analog mixer it would either need need digital i/o (usb/firewire etc.) or another audio interface with cables sending those tracks to the mixer.

With a digital mixer you can also save a scene for each project which makes life easier!

I’ve recently been spending a lot of time refining my default templates. I’m finding lately I have Ableton open most of the time in the background, making sure the hub is plugged in isn’t really that much harder than making sure a device is turned on :wink:

Hi Bro! Could you share that template? I am a bit new and I saw Dave mech mapping everything… A template would be great!

Let me know!

1 Like