Digitakt with Ripcord and powerbank doesn't turn on or restarts

My Digitakt works from the powerbank maybe 1 out of 10 times if I am lucky. In other cases, it turns on, shows the logo, and just freezes there
Sometimes it even manages to load the main screen but then restarts.

I’ve got a center positive Ripcord cable advertised for Digitakt

I’ve got an Anker 325 powerbank.

Here is the video of me turning it on:

Any ideas what this could be?

Thank you

can you test the actual output of your power bank? it looks like it’s not giving it enough juice to get past the boot up. most devices pull closest to peak (or even above the psu’s disclosed peak) at start up, once it’s running the amperage draw is significantly less.

if the center polarity were wrong you wouldn’t be getting anything out of the display so you have the correct cable.

I think the cable is outputting 12v, but the amperage (that which is actually reaching the dc in jack) isn’t enough to get over the hump, basically. Even if it’s brand new, I’d still test it because this is the logical conclusion.

2 Likes

I tried 2 different ripcords with simmilar experience to yours. Birdcord is the way to go. If you have a pd powerbank, get the pd version (USB-C).

This thing has been rock solid. I can run the Syntakt from a 15w small 4200mah magsafe charger.

4 Likes

Change the ripcord to the other USB port on the 325 (I think that model has 2 ports)

Be sure the Anker is not on low output mode (2 fast clicks on button).

Adjust DT Screen brightness to low.

2 Likes

@Gral_Kerkila is right. There are several threads here on how Ripcords don’t always handle the initial power surge at startup properly. Birdcords are specifically designed to deal with this. Friends don’t let friends use Ripcords. (A PD power bank and associated PD-capable cable is an even more flexible and rock-solid solution, but more expensive.)

1 Like

After it’s powered on, you could always turn it back up to full.

2 Likes

I also switched to Birdcords after a lot of issues with multiple Ripcords.