Digitakt with Arturia Keystep

Hi :wave:t2: Elektronauts!

New here and this is my first post.
Forgive me I’m a total newbie to electronic/digital hardware at the moment however I’m a fast learner.

I’m trying to setup my Arturia Keystep with my DT.
I’ve managed to get only so far before scratching my head in confusion.

Got the USB power sorted. :+1:t2:
Connection to the DT is via a dual standard mini cable - black and red - 2 x both ends (4 connections in total). I’ve plugged in only the black to the Arturia midi OUT - into the DT midi IN.

Have checked MIDI Configuration on DT.

PORT CONFIG >
SYNC > Clock Received checked. Others not.
PORT CONFIG > Input from MIDI+USB
RECEIVE NOTES and RECEIVE CC/NRPN Checked.

CHANNELS
TRACKS 1-8 named 1-8
TRACKS A-H Off
AUTO CHANNEL 10

Now all seems good to here, hearing the TRACK sounds via the Arturia Keystep in Chromatic.

However when playing pattern I cannot hear via the Arturia any keyed TRACK sounds.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Wanting to help here but have a hard time understanding what you’re trying to do.

2 Likes

Are you in Sequencer mode on the Keystep? You might need to turn on Kbd Play when the sequencer is running (I think it’s Shift + Octave Up).

1 Like

Trying to use the Keystep as a synth as well as trigger sequences. I know the DT isn’t a dedicated synth but i do know it is able to produce synth like sounds using a midi keyboard.

I was trying to follow this short tutorial but found it unashamedly difficult to follow with no detailed instructions. See link

Arturia Keystep and Digitakt

You need to assign a waveform to one of the 8 sample tracks. Set it to loop the waveform. Now, when that track is selected you will hear it when you play on the keystep. Hope that helps.

1 Like

These is the midi cable I’m using

Dual Midi 5Pin Cable

As said I’ve only plugged black into IN and OUT

Ok will give that a go in the morning.

Will jump back on to let you know how I go :metal:t2::black_heart:

Ok will also try this too.

Ok @protocol_jimmy
I’ve had another look and play and read of instrument manuals this morning over coffee.

Keystep is now reset and is playing each TRACK sound that I select chromatically. Eg. TRACK #1 usually kick drum sound/sample.

I’ll assume that from the other suggestion to make one of those TRACK # sounds a wave and to loop, perhaps even delay to create more a synth sound to play via keyboard :thinking:

All in all it’s reading and fiddling - trial and error to learn. But I like this forum a lot so far as there is a great deal of activity and enthusiasm regarding digital and electronic hardware use for music. And since the COVID lockdown on many places - new ideas and creation are being born.

Which is fantastic! :raised_hands:t2::black_heart:

Hey @StreetDeezy :wave:t2:

Yeah I’ve noticed that once adding a loop or delay prolongs the key stroke on the Keystep midi.

It’s a matter of discovering a sound that fitting to play via keyboard to give nice long synth sounds.

However this may influence me to purchase a decent analogue keyboard synth to marry up these ideas :bulb:

Also
@protocol_jimmy and @StreetDeezy
The back of the Keystep I’m wondering if this setting is correct too? :woozy_face: see pic

That setting is for USB. it’ll accept sync from USB. If you need midi, put both in the up position.

2 Likes

Ok great. But doesn’t the Digitakt setting allow for both MIDI + USB ? So it’s not applicable ?

It matters, digitakt and keystep cannot be connected properly via usb as the digitakt doesn’t function as a usb host. Switch your jumpers to midi.

4 Likes

Ok great! Thanks for that. Will adjust settings accordingly. Now maybe I can move forward on successfully using my MIDI properly and get my expectations back! :joy: