Digitakt waveform zoom/ sample zoom

Just wondering if there’s been an update that gives the Digitakt this capability?

It’s a necessary feature for me, and the main factor in me deciding if I get one. I see that the OT can do this (not interested in OT though- got my eyes on that DT). Thanks!

1 Like

Only when sampling. Not for setting loop points

There’s no need though, you can dial the start and end points in super finely already with the current view. Zooming won’t allow you to be any more accurate. You just tap the track button for that sample so you can hear as you move the sample start point and you can get it EXACTLY where you need it. If you need to find the exact loop point you want in a really long sample, find it with the start+tap technique, move the loop point to that position, and then re-set your start. It’s fast. Not that I would oppose a zoom but I can’t see it making things any smoother or faster.

3 Likes

Ok cool. I haven’t tried Digitakt for myself yet- that was just one of the things that stood out in the online literature. If you say zoom wouldn’t be needed, I believe you. I was just visualizing editing waveforms in a DAW, and how often I zoom in/out to get precise results.

You can also enter the sample editing page again when sampling internally/resampling. It’s an extra step but you get the option at least.

Sounds good to me.

Zooming in or out doesn’t change the resolution of the encoders when editing a recorded sample. It is not be the same as zooming in on a sample in a daw to make editing with a mouse more precise. But the DT has high resolution encoders and they are rather precise as is.

2 Likes

It seems like a strange decision not to have a zoom ability. Clearly the DT can do it, but they have decided to only implement it in the sampling function… maybe a later update will add this functionality to other areas, just like they eventually added scale per track.

5 Likes

What do you hope to be able to accomplish with a zoom mode on the waveform page that you aren’t able to accomplish now?

Quick question how do you preview the sample when plocking the start/end. Possible?

1 Like

I would like to be able to actually set the start/end points to the true zero point - VISUALLY.
As a professional graphic designer I enjoy being able to see the things I’m working with in full detail. So this way of working rolls over into my beatmaking. It’s not a matter of what I can or can’t accomplish with it, it’s what I would enjoy as a feature…

7 Likes

Of course no negative effects aside from making the workflow potentially more complex, but on the DT for me things are done by ear, which is how it seems to have been designed. There is no value at all in a “true” start and end point, all that matters is that it sounds correct for that specific hit. The transients are different in every sample and you’re participating in sound design, not waveform graphic design, so things are done by “feel” each time. For a kick track, I might want the 1st hit to have a full trail-off while they second is truncated, and it’s all decided by ear and in the moment. That decision has nothing to do with the way the waveform looks. A zoom won’t let you choose the start/end/loop points any better. It sounds like it may even inhibit that “groove” for you if you feel compelled to set those points based on an visual rather than on the sound. You don’t listen to music with your eyes. If they did implement a zoom though, no skin off my back. It’s not uncommon for me to not even use the waveform view, I just use the knobs and listen to what sounds good and correct for that sample or specific hit.

1 Like

Yeah, this is essentially my reason also.

You can say it’s all done by “the feel” of what you hear, but that doesn’t change the fact that the waveform is a visual representation of the sound. Some sound designers consider that representation to be helpful in their projects. Not everything is impromptu groove production. That’s why I brought this question to Digitakt users rather than a SP-404 forum (where it’s “no looks- all feel”)… The visual representation already exists on this device. I was just curious of how in-depth those visuals can be.
As for personal taste, if the zoom were an optional feature, it would not hinder your process in any way.

4 Likes

I respect that this is your opinion and way of working, but I do not agree. For you to say there is no value in something, is quite grandiose, especially when to me it has a ton of value. I think you meant to say - for the way you prefer to work, it has no value. I do want to graphically edit a wav form to do sound design, along with my ears. I can get the results I want quicker than the ears only method. I understand to you this doesn’t accomplish the same goal.

Q: Do you think there is only one way of working and one linear path to creation…?

4 Likes

Ja, I’ve already said that it wouldn’t bother me if they added it, multiple ways.

@HiGrade1, I did say “for me, things are done by ear” in my post that you responded to. So, I’ve already acknowledged that I’m speaking based on my preferred workflow right at the top of the post. Everything following that statement should of course be read with that in mind. You should remember though that these machines ARE designed with a workflow in mind, they are not “do anything” Ableton-like DAW open architecture environments. There is evidence of this in the interface. 1) the primary source page has no waveform view, you have to enter the secondary page to see that view. 2) The waveform view has no zoom function, and long waveforms appear basically as blobs. You can use these pieces of evidence to point to the fact that yes the Digitakt is a one-shot drum sampler at the core, with the ability to use longer samples, sequence other devices etc of course. Small samples (drum hits) do not need a waveform zoom since they can already be seen in good resolution due to the short length. I think it’s easy to make a case that the DT is meant by the designers to be used by ear primarily. But like I said, add it or not, no problem for me. I doubt that we will see a zoom, but I’ve been wrong before!

1 Like

But then wouldn’t the encoders need to be adjusted for more precision? Can that even be done? Or is it limited by the hardware used?

Not sure how that all works, but they have figured out a way to make it work when sampling into the machine, so it clearly can be done. That’s my evidence in the interface. I understand they may not have designed the workflow around it, but the machine CAN do this. Would be awesome if it could be done in the other mode. Curious as to why/how adding this would make the workflow more complex? If it was an option in waveform view, you would just not use it, and nothing would be different, but for those that want it, it would be there.

“if we only use things the way they were designed to be used, somethin somethin…” ~plato

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be against it. I don’t know how you got that conclusion from me asking how it would be done. I would actually like to know how all the people suggesting it would implement it. Cause precise editing would be beneficial for all. I Don’t think it would complicate the work flow either.

The encoder resolution doesn’t change when sampling on the DT it has the same precision whether zoomed in or out. Only the visual representation is changed.

I do not think it’s a simple UI issue cause if it was the sample handling on the rytm could be made more precise. But it is limited by the resolution of the encoders.

In the digital realm encoder resolution is very important and can cause significant limitations. This is why people prefer knob per function in the analog realm as encoder resolution can cause things to sound step-y and not smooth.

I personally would like sample zoom. It would make working with sample chains easier even if it didn’t affect precision.

2 Likes

That’s why you need to zoom in. By limiting the overall editable range you’re essentially lowering the sensitivity in roundabout way.